Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 17th, 2005, 09:47 PM

Thumbs down 7 year old German shepard fell down the stairs...

Ok, I plan to take her to the vet tommorow.

She is able to sleep, eat, poop ect.

She seemed to take a tumble on Saturday AM, and then she just seemed like her old self, except she yelped on Sunday morning when she did her usual gallop down the three stairs to our backyard.

She is stiff, slow getting up from a lay down, and seems to every once in a while put herself wrong. By that, imean it seems like she is ok,but then she tries to do somethign she normally could do, like going up a few stairs, she hurts heself.

Tonight she has been whiny and sulky and whimpered a couple times and seemed akward, and when she came over to me to rub against me and get scratched she strted yelping and running in a cirlce as if she was trying to bite whatever was hurting her.

Can anyone take a guess as to what kind of money we are looking at here?

My gf says at least 500 bucks,a s they will want x rays....also, please be blunt, how bad does this look? she is 7, has hip "displacia" or however you spell it, is 7, and was hit by a car as a puppy.

She once got her ear caught in a fence and seemed much more scared and in intense pain, than she has been with this whole thing, and she never seems in agony, just sore...But she will definitely yelp if she jumps or something, and she sort of "plops" down to spare her hip now.
Old October 17th, 2005, 09:56 PM

At my vet one xray film, on which they can do 2 two xrays of a leg, is $50. So if they need 4 xrays, $100, then the consult fee $30-50. If it's anything but a break, you might get pain killers and rest. If it's a break, you have to pay for the cast, which will be expensive. But cross that bridge when you get to it. If the doggy is in pain, he needs a vet sooner than later (later is worse because when the healing starts, it gets in the way).
Old October 18th, 2005, 04:29 AM

Take her to the vet. Could be broken or bad sprain. There are meds for this type of pain and your dog may lead a nice comfortable life for a couple of more years. I've had GSDs fall down stairs in their old age - what helped was putting carpet on the stairs to avoid them from slipping and falling. Are the stairs steep? Is she sleeping in a damp & chilly area? Keep us posted.
Old October 18th, 2005, 08:04 AM

Since you said that she has hip dysplacia, I'm thinking that this is what is causing her pain. She is most likely getting weak in the back end and arthritis is kicking in. She will most likely need x-rays to see how bad her hips and knees are. There are a lot of really good supplements and medications to help with the pain and inflamation associated with hip dysplacia and arthritis. My dog has osteoarthritis of the hips and knees (she too has hip dysplacia). She is on Sasha's Blend, a natural supplement, that has helped her immensely. Your vet bill will most likely be in the few hundreds.

Please do take her to the vet as soon as is possible. She does sound like she is in distress and some medication might be needed to make her more comfortable.
Old October 18th, 2005, 09:07 AM

You might want to look for a vet experienced in chiropractic(www.avcadoctors.com) and/or acupuncture(www.ivas.org) treatments. Both have helped in cases of degenerative myopathy, hip dysplasia, and various spinal misalignments and pinched nerves due to accident or otherwise. Sometimes just one treatment is all it takes, sometimes 4-5 treatments. ( You might want to read the book The Last Chance Dog, by Dr. Donna Kelleher, DVM who , in writing about various cases she has treated, describes a German Shepherd who had DM and the worst case of arthritis she'd every seen. Dietary changes(high meat diets add purines that stiffen the joints) , supplements such as glucosamine, chondroitin, and alfalfa, as well as 5 acupuncture treatments and the dog was running around. The same dog who had, 5 treatments before, been completely paralyzed in the back legs. One vet also reversed hip dysplasia in his dog through dietary changes. (www.ahvma.org/referral/index.html)
Old October 18th, 2005, 09:27 AM

Acupuncture is said to be quite good, and many many people are using it, combined with traditional medicine. Speak to your vet to make sure it's not a break or a bad sprain. Perhaps your vet does acupuncture, many do.

According to the Humane Society of the United States:
There are an estimated 3-4 million dogs and cats euthanized each year in the US alone! PLEASE - spay and/or neuter your pets!
Old October 18th, 2005, 09:30 AM
Senior Contributor

My dog had two x-rays last week, and it was 85$

Please take your dog to the vet since she is yelping in pain.