Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 26th, 2004, 10:18 PM

Exclamation ??? Constant Licking ?????

I have a 3 year old female Chihuahua that will constantly lick on pillows, sometimes until they are completely wet. She will lick sometimes until she is wore out. This is no problem, but was wondering if someone knew what she is doing and why she is doing it. Thanks for any help You can email me personally at turboalien@yahoo.com
Old May 26th, 2004, 10:35 PM
Senior Contributor

i dont think is a problem only if it becomes a neurotic habit. my girl licks carpet, bed spreads, towels and most everything else. i have never thought it a problem, just really annoying finding wet things. but if she is lickng i can say stop it and she will for a while, can you do this or is your baby totally obsessed with licking??
Old May 26th, 2004, 10:43 PM

Its no problem, she is the boss around here, I was just wondering why she might be doing it., nervous, if she was pretending to be grooming babies, etc.... Thanks melanie
Old May 27th, 2004, 04:26 AM

The quicker Licker

I have a 14 years old toy poodle that has always been a major licker. My face - ears, the carpet, her bed, pillows etc. If she can reach it, she will lick it. We worried about it for awhile however no harm has ever come of it. As she has gotten older, she has gotten more obsessive about it.
We just have clean ankles and toes (she only weighs 6 pounds and can't usually reach any higher.LOL)
Old May 27th, 2004, 05:30 AM

I have a licker - tazz looks at you before he does it, really stares at youre face - then he sticks his tounge out on youre foot or whatever and just looks then starts licking. He licks the bed covers - his bed - kasha when she is sleeping... I dont think it is too much of a problem...annoying when he licks my toes when im half asleep on the sofa - i have very ticklish feet!
Old July 3rd, 2004, 08:48 PM

Hi!

I'd suggest having a vet test your animal. It's probably nothing but some animals lick constantly because they are lacking some nutrient or mineral and instinct tells them to lick to get it. As I said, though, it's probably nothing. Some dogs are just lickers!
Old July 3rd, 2004, 08:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Den-Den licks my husband's pillow. Not mine, only my husbands. I tell him it's because he drools! ( He doesn't, but I tell him he does! )
Old July 3rd, 2004, 10:03 PM

Red face Licking

My pooch licks too! I managed to get him to stop licking the bedsheets and pillows by reinforcing "No licking!" but now he will lick my hands if I stop petting him. LOL
Old July 4th, 2004, 09:43 AM
Senior Contributor

My dog is also a constant licker. He doesn't lick stuff that isn't human, but he licks faces, feet, legs, ears, anything that is possible to reach. He has actualy gone so far as to lick little kid's faces when they come through the door. He jumps up on their shoulders and balances himself with his paws there (it looks like a hug!) and licks their faces! It is quite cute.