Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Birds

Old October 21st, 2010, 11:48 AM

Unhappy Stubborn macaw

Hi All! I am having troubles with our Macaw. My husband has been working out of town for the last 6 months and is here 1 week out of every month and 'Leebs'(the macaw) is his baby. Leebs has been really good with me and obedient up until the last few weeks. He won't step up and just wants to fight with me ;< I give him so many treats and sing & dance with him and he gets my full attention. He has a play area and large heated house outside and I bring him in when it gets dark. Lately though he goes into his house and sits way up top on the tree and I can't get him to come down so he's been sleeping in his outdoor house and I miss him. It's like he is blaming me for his daddy being away but he has been so good for 5 months prior! It's funny cause daddy lets him scream inside our house whereas I don't. I have tried to stop him from screaming until he gets outside. Have I been too hard on him? yet my husband says that Leebs is training me?? Is Leebs depressed or just plain mad at me for trying to make him behave? Help!
Old October 21st, 2010, 04:44 PM
-

You would probably be better off searching out a Parrot Forum for information and guidance.
Old October 21st, 2010, 10:09 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

How do you keep him from screaming inside, Shawna? I don't know much about birds but it seems unlikely to me that after 5 months he should suddenly start objecting to your discipline... Do you think he could be ailing? Will your husband be home soon?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 22nd, 2010, 06:59 AM
Senior Contributor

birds are mostly a one person pet, they are mostly attached to who is the caregiver, all the parrots we raised (the breeders we kept) were use to my dad, when he passed on and mom and I took over 100% we lost close to 50 birds, when the vet came in the door and spoke, the flock immediately perked up, they were missing a males voice! we put a small tv in the aviary turned to a news station where it was mostly men and the 250+ birds all did better and once back up to par it was easier to sell the stock. Your parrot is probably just missing your husbands ways with him.