Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 8th, 2006, 12:51 PM

dog indigestion - possible bloat - Answered by Dr. Van Lienden

after dakota eats or drinks (mainly drinks) she will burp, but its like a gurggly burp that sounds like some food or liquid comes back up too. she also gets the hiccups alot. could this be indigestion?
Old January 8th, 2006, 12:58 PM

If it's right after drinking that she burps, it's more likely just air she swallowed in the process. They tend to do that, which is why you're not supposed to let big dogs drink forever because that swallowed air can cause bloat.

The hiccups... Still a mystery. I think it's in some way linked to diabetes, which freaks me out (this is just MY hypothesis, nothing ever proven scientifically) because Jemma gets them all the time.
Old January 23rd, 2006, 09:56 AM
Administrator

I assume that Dakota is a dog (but this could also happen in other animals), and ,yes, indigestion is a possibility. My recommendation is that small amounts of food be split into three or four feedings a day, limited exercise after eating and do not allow Dakota vast amounts of water. The symptoms you describe may be utterly harmless, or they may indicate a potentional bloat case (gastric dilatation volvulus).

Bloat is a life-threatening situation where the stomach turns on its axis, causing shock and organ death. Have your veterinarian discuss this with you, and what can be done prophlacticly to prevent bloat. There are a number of other gastrointestinal problems such as pancreatic insufficiency, gastric reflux, ulcers,dietary sensitivities such as gluten disease, etc. that can also present this way. And these need to be considered also by your veterinarian.

Dr. Van Lienden

Dr. Raymond Van Lienden DVM
The Animal Clinic of Clifton
12702 Chapel Road, Clifton
Virginia, U.S.A. 20124
703-802-0490