Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old January 5th, 2008, 06:02 PM

not house broken at 1yr.....

Hi everyone, been a long time since I've been here, anyhow I really really need some help...Indy is a year old now and is clean in her cage and just plain dirty outside of it. I have gone from barricading every room in my house she now has a hallway and stairs to the door, she has peed on my floors my table bed etc...since I have barricaded her, nothing has changed!!!! Indy can have been out for a walk for an hour sometimes even longer...I look like the psycho lady when the dog squats to do something outside, she is so happy when she has done something good and gets a lot of attention when she does this.But then 15 minutes in the house she will do it all over again. My floors are ruined, I've thrown out a bed, all carpets hit the curb, along with the other 3 dogs beds. Indy is the devil dog. She has to be possessed! I have done obedience with her she is great for this, but even then she will squat!

I haven't watched t.v since we got her, I used to bring her down with me but then she peed on the couch, chair loveseat and floor. (Thank god for leather)!!!

I am really tired of washing my floors, beds etc..I have truly had it. What energy I have left I will try to help her but I have to honestly say I can't put up with this for a lifetime.

If you have any suggestions please..let me know.
You would think that having 3 other dogs she would have just followed there patter, but not Indy the little......
Thanks
Old January 5th, 2008, 06:10 PM
-

Is it only with the pee or does she poop inside the house too ? Because if it's only pee , I would think she has a urinary track infection , could be something else too. But she would need to see a vet to make sure.
Old January 5th, 2008, 06:28 PM

1 yr old not trained

No she poops in the house on the furniture etc.....she has been vet checked...nothing wrong it seem to be in the head!!!
Old January 5th, 2008, 06:32 PM
-

And she goes outside often and gets a lot of exercise ? Other than that , I really don't know maybe she's just really nervous and would need rescue remedy or something. Did your vet made any suggestions ?
Old January 5th, 2008, 06:44 PM

Yes he made a recommendation....pts, he said some behaviors can't be changed....after a year of this I am starting to believe him!I don't want to give up on Indy but my god how much more can I do? We are thinking we may have to move and she would have to be a barn dog....but I know that wouldn't las longer than a day and she would be back in the house ....and the story goes on...
Old January 5th, 2008, 06:48 PM
-

I would try medication , like rescue remedy , something to calm her , diffuser , stuff like that.
Old January 5th, 2008, 06:50 PM
-

Oh and BTW , I feel your pain. I have one that took 3 months to get clean. I know how hard it is to have to clean everyday , tore and throw out carpets. It must be really hard for you , a whole year ! :sad:
Old January 6th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Agility Addict

A friend of mine went through something similar with her dog - although only with peeing, not pooping. Her dog has to be on a drug for the rest of her life because she cannot control her bladder (she was actually doing full pees not just dribbles which was unusual but a drug for urinary incontinence still works).
Has Indy been vet checked repeatedly (ie: more than 1 urinalysis and culture, CBC, chemistry tests to check organ function, or thyroid etc...)??? What food is she on? Is she free-fed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiemedogs View Post
Indy is a year old now and is clean in her cage and just plain dirty outside of it.
The fact that she is clean in her cage suggests she's missing foundation training rather than a health/behavioural issue. When is she in her crate and for how long? Is it possible that this has something to do with marking (since there are other dogs in the house)? Once a dog has had a few accidents in the house, it can be very hard to potty train because the smell is difficult to get rid of, not to mention its become habit.

Quote:
I have gone from barricading every room in my house she now has a hallway and stairs to the door, she has peed on my floors my table bed etc...since I have barricaded her, nothing has changed!!!!
I would suggest that Indy remains tethered to someone rather than having free-roam, even if her space only consists of a hallway! If she cannot be tethered, you may have to crate her or perhaps use an x-pen. Right now you need to set her up for success - I don't like the idea of a dog being confined so much but until you can set a new habit, I don't think there's any other option.
Is there a mat in her crate? It may also help to teach her to stay on her mat when she's outside of the crate (by setting her up on her mat while you prepare dinner, watch tv etc...). By using a mat or blankie that's in her crate, she will be less likely to eliminate on it... If she doesn't have anything in her crate, perhaps you can try using a yoga mat or some foam squares as Indy's spot outside of her crate...eventually increasing the area. You can teach her to target for this.
Keep her busy outside of her crate - do some training or playing, followed by a quick elimination break outside and back in her crate/tethered to you/to her spot etc...

Quote:
Indy can have been out for a walk for an hour sometimes even longer...
I would also suggest that wherever possible, Indy is taken out for frequent short walks instead of a long one. My dog consumes a lot of water/snow during/after a long walk so I often need to take him out within 2-4 hours rather than the 8+ he can usually wait.
It sounds like Indy finds it very uncomfortable to hold herself so she doesn't unless she is confined to her cage (in which case it would be more uncomfortable for her to relieve herself than sit in it). She needs to be built up slowly, I would reinforce with more than attention (ie: treats, toys, longer walks etc...) Dogs know what works - if she gets taken out everytime she has an accident, she may have learned that messing in the house gets her what she wants - more outdoor time.

Quote:
I have done obedience with her she is great for this, but even then she will squat!
Do you have have pee/poop commands? Or perhaps you should train her to ring a bell to go outside? Is it possible to set up a doggy door into your backyard?

Quote:
I am really tired of washing my floors, beds etc..I have truly had it. What energy I have left I will try to help her but I have to honestly say I can't put up with this for a lifetime.
I can only imagine how stressful this must be! It takes a lot of perseverence to get through something like this! Good Luck and I hope Indy comes around!
Old January 6th, 2008, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lissa View Post
A friend of mine went through something similar with her dog - although only with peeing, not pooping. Her dog has to be on a drug for the rest of her life because she cannot control her bladder (she was actually doing full pees not just dribbles which was unusual but a drug for urinary incontinence still works).
Has Indy been vet checked repeatedly (ie: more than 1 urinalysis and culture, CBC, chemistry tests to check organ function, or thyroid etc...)??? What food is she on? Is she free-fed?
Indy has had every test imaginable....my credit card will prove this lol.

The fact that she is clean in her cage suggests she's missing foundation training rather than a health/behavioural issue. When is she in her crate and for how long? Is it possible that this has something to do with marking (since there are other dogs in the house)? Once a dog has had a few accidents in the house, it can be very hard to potty train because the smell is difficult to get rid of, not to mention its become habit.

I have used every product available for cleaning,,,next step is sanding all the floors, but this scares me as I don't want them ruined again!

I would suggest that Indy remains tethered to someone rather than having free-roam, even if her space only consists of a hallway! If she cannot be tethered, you may have to crate her or perhaps use an x-pen. Right now you need to set her up for success - I don't like the idea of a dog being confined so much but until you can set a new habit, I don't think there's any other option.

Indy has been attached to me, makes no diff, she peed on my leather shoes and another time she began to crap right beside me!

Is there a mat in her crate? It may also help to teach her to stay on her mat when she's outside of the crate (by setting her up on her mat while you prepare dinner, watch tv etc...). By using a mat or blankie that's in her crate, she will be less likely to eliminate on it...
Indy has had everything from blankets a small mat, she has chewed them and peed on them...If she doesn't have anything in her crate, perhaps you can try using a yoga mat or some foam squares as Indy's spot outside of her crate...eventually increasing the area. You can teach her to target for this.
Keep her busy outside of her crate - do some training or playing, followed by a quick elimination break outside and back in her crate/tethered to you/to her spot etc...

I would also suggest that wherever possible, Indy is taken out for frequent short walks instead of a long one. My dog consumes a lot of water/snow during/after a long walk so I often need to take him out within 2-4 hours rather than the 8+ he can usually wait.

Indy when not on a walk is outdoors every 20-30 minutes and she still comes inside to relieve herself.

It sounds like Indy finds it very uncomfortable to hold herself so she doesn't unless she is confined to her cage (in which case it would be more uncomfortable for her to relieve herself than sit in it). She needs to be built up slowly, I would reinforce with more than attention (ie: treats, toys, longer walks etc...) Dogs know what works - if she gets taken out everytime she has an accident, she may have learned that messing in the house gets her what she wants - more outdoor time.

Do you have have pee/poop commands? Yes and she will pee on comand and then low and behold come inside and do it again.

Or perhaps you should train her to ring a bell to go outside? Is it possible to set up a doggy door into your backyard? Hubby wont allow this as we have had a family of raccoons and a few skunks and my dogs even got hold of a groundhog las summer,,,not to say the numerous cats around here.

I can only imagine how stressful this must be! It takes a lot of perseverence to get through something like this! Good Luck and I hope Indy comes around!
Thanks for all your suggestions trust me I have been doing obedience for over 12 years now....I have tried everything...I just keep my fingers crossed that sooner than later this all becomes the past.