Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old December 29th, 2007, 01:58 PM

She pees here, she pees there, she pees everywhere

I'm a new member who has a puppy peeing problem. My husband and I have two 14 week female Sussex spaniel, Luci and Ginger. Sussex spaniel females are notorious for being incontinent and hard to potty train, which I and my husband and I are fully aware of and accepting. They are being crate trained, and, when out of the crate for about 1 1/2 hrs, they spent their time in a play pen area. They both can be in the crate for almost two hours without an accident. Four days ago, we let them begin to spend time out of the crate in our full kitchen because they were not having accidents in the play pen. Both did excellent for those four days. However, at this point Ginger has begun to pee in her crate, pee on the floor, pee when we walk into another room, pee immediately after she eats. It's just here a pee, there a pee, everywhere a pee-pee. Luci, though, is doing just great, few if any accidents in or out of her crate. (Except at night when both do have peeing accidents in the crate.) I should also mention that we watch them carefully when they are not in the crate. Ginger was leading the way on actually walking to the door when she needed to go, or barking at me. They get three good vigorous walks a day, lots of play time. O.K., I've read the other posts and I'm guessing everyone will say, go backwards to the play pen, etc. That means, of course, that both puppies have to go backwards. So, help! Any thing I can do to help Ginger with the crate peeing during the day? Any other suggestions. Would the tether help her? Thanks.
Old December 29th, 2007, 02:03 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Hi and welcome to Pets.ca!
I haven't got any advise for you on training. It's been so long since I trained my dogs I will leave it up to people who have just recently gone through it.
However, I would like to request pictures of your 2 new angels.
Old December 29th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Garden nut

By chance did a vet visit rule out any urinary problems?

How big is the crate? Sometimes if there is more than enough room to lay down, stand or turn around, a dog might go pee in one section and rest in another.

They make divider thingies for crates.

Have any pics? We all love pictures!
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper
Old December 31st, 2007, 04:28 PM

Here a pee, there a pee...

Their crates do have dividers, so they sleep in small areas, but thanks for the suggestion. We have limited their play area again, only let them stay out of the crate for one hour at a time. Some improvement, but still a problem when least expected (like five minutes after having gone out for a pee). I'd liek to send pictures, but haven't figured out how to do that yet.