Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 28th, 2010, 03:23 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Brownie's vet visit

Brownie had another trip to the vets today for more blood work. I had the other vet. Not the one who has been seeing him. She took a look at what has been happening, read the whole file, the blood tests, etc., and said something doesn't fit. She doesn't think his liver is the issue. Nor does she think auto immune. She said if it was his liver she would be looking at a dead cat and he definitely is not that! So I have put Brownie through all of this for ?????????
She asked what meds Brownie is/has been on. I told her and told her about the meds I had him on as well. She is now thinking he has a blood parasite. Hmmm, I think I mentioned that possibility a long time ago. We are testing Feline Hemotropic Mycoplasma, CBC and Platelet, and Bilirubin. She said there was no sense testing the rest as it was in normal ranges the last two times he was tested. I guess there is a blood parasite that will show up as a false negative when being tested. He will most likely be going on Doxycycline again. This time for a longer period as she feels that is what helped him before but he wasn't on it long enough. His spleen is still enlarged.
If nothing shows in the tests she mentioned bone marrow extraction as it would definitely show something. I'm hoping we don't have to go that far.
Now I don't know if I should be keeping him on the Livertone. I also had just started him on Denemarin. Neither will hurt but...... I don't know.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old January 28th, 2010, 03:34 PM
-

What an enigma this is turning out to be 14k....does she have any explanation for an enlarged spleen?

's to the both of you
Old January 28th, 2010, 03:39 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Only that it would make sense if it was a blood parasite as it would be attacking the cells and the spleen would be working overtime to try to make more.
I am really hoping it's not too late and we find something that will work for him. I am going to do a search for anything that may help as soon as I get back from the grocery store.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old January 28th, 2010, 03:42 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Only that it would make sense if it was a blood parasite as it would be attacking the cells and the spleen would be working overtime to try to make more.

Thanks 14k...I had no idea what the correlation could be.

I am really hoping it's not too late and we find something that will work for him. I am going to do a search for anything that may help as soon as I get back from the grocery store.
that it is not too late. How does he seem in his demeanour?
Old January 28th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Poor Brownie. It is so unnerving when you see 2 different vets in the same offfice, with the same information in front of them and you get conflicting explantions or diagnoses
Here's to at least an explanation.

Yes, I believe in the Rainbow Bridge
Old January 28th, 2010, 03:46 PM
150% PRO S/N

He is doing all things cat. But he has been sleeping more this week. He does spend a lot of time following Meowzer around. Whenever Meowzer heads for the food Brownie is not far behind. At night they usually walk the house side by side. It's very sweet to watch. Their night time activity may account for why he is tired during the day but I have a feeling it's whatever is attacking his system. It would be nice to have some answers.

Old January 28th, 2010, 03:52 PM
-

I see very little of Kale downstairs during the day 14k, but at night I can hear him ripping around.....Lets be real positive on this ok or I'll pull out the big guns
Old January 28th, 2010, 03:59 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
I see very little of Kale downstairs during the day 14k, but at night I can hear him ripping around.....Lets be real positive on this ok or I'll pull out the big guns
Hubby keeps telling me if anyone can pull him through this it's me. I've been trying hard for quite a few months now. I have no intention of just giving up.
Now I gotta go find something for supper and stock up on kitty food for the next week..... 200 cans here we come!!!

Old January 28th, 2010, 04:08 PM
-

Quote:
Hubby keeps telling me if anyone can pull him through this it's me. I've been trying hard for quite a few months now. I have no intention of just giving up.

I know you have no intention of giving up m/g/f/. I know you will keep on trying and trying and I have faith in you to succeed

Now I gotta go find something for supper and stock up on kitty food for the next week..... 200 cans here we come!!!
Without you the store would go out of business
Old January 28th, 2010, 04:09 PM

I am sorry that you and Brownie have to go through all of this.
You are so well educated, and have taken such wonderful care of your
all of your cats.I will pray that you will find a solution to Brownie's current
illness.
I only know 'people medicine', and often I have asked my Vet to do additional screening for things that are 'people related'.He's used to me asking for things that are not the same in cats as in humans.
Could they do blood cutures for parasites? , or again, it may not be a test for
cats. I wish I could help.
I will keep you, Brownie, and your kitties in thoughts and prayers.
Old January 28th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
She is now thinking he has a blood parasite.
Ah-ha! See, that's what I was thinking. Here is my previous post on that: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....sma#post862295

Hopefully this time they're sending the blood out for a PCR test and not just a smear.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old January 28th, 2010, 07:01 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I hope you may finally have an answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincymycat View Post
Poor Brownie. It is so unnerving when you see 2 different vets in the same offfice, with the same information in front of them and you get conflicting explantions or diagnoses
Here's to at least an explanation.
I was thinking the same thing . Sad that you have to pay for a wrong diagnosis

Quote:
He is doing all things cat. But he has been sleeping more this week. He does spend a lot of time following Meowzer around. Whenever Meowzer heads for the food Brownie is not far behind. At night they usually walk the house side by side. It's very sweet to watch. Their night time activity may account for why he is tired during the day but I have a feeling it's whatever is attacking his system. It would be nice to have some answers.
Awwww, how sweet . Do we get pics?

Quote:
Hubby is right .

200 cans of cat food , hope they give you a good discount

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old January 28th, 2010, 10:44 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
Ah-ha! See, that's what I was thinking. Here is my previous post on that: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....sma#post862295

Hopefully this time they're sending the blood out for a PCR test and not just a smear.
Unfortunately I can't bring a sugarcatmom to the vet with me when I go. I had mentioned the possibilities of a parasite when all of this first started as Brownie spent a lot of time under the trees in the catuary. I also asked about the test after you mentioned it SCM and the other vet said it had already been tested for. It was. The smear. This time this vet took extra blood to have the whole thing done. something shows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
I hope you may finally have an answer.
I was thinking the same thing . Sad that you have to pay for a wrong diagnosis
Awwww, how sweet . Do we get pics?
Hubby is right .
200 cans of cat food , hope they give you a good discount
Me too L4. Me too. I have been putting out tons of money that I really can't afford the last few months. I don't regret spending a penny of it if it helps in Brownie's recovery. I am praying now the meds he was on didn't do more harm to him.
Meowzer is so stressed from the vet visit today he has been sleeping almost all day so no pics tonight. He went in for a urine test. He is good but needs to drink more water so I will add more to his food. She thinks he was stressed when he was in the catuary because of new cats coming in and the hierarchy being thrown off. So now he's a house cat too. Hubby is thrilled!!!
No discount on the food. I keep asking. Oh well. That's what I work for.

Old January 28th, 2010, 11:04 PM

Hopefully this new vet has a better perspective

Re the food - check with the manufactures' websites and see if they have a coupon promotion

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old January 28th, 2010, 11:07 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

How long before the results come back, 14+?

for some answers this time! Hang in there, Brownie!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 28th, 2010, 11:11 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by growler View Post
Hopefully this new vet has a better perspective

Re the food - check with the manufactures' websites and see if they have a coupon promotion
Me too. Thanks growler.
I keep checking sites for deals. Sometimes I find them. Sometimes not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post

How long before the results come back, 14+?

for some answers this time! Hang in there, Brownie!
Tomorrow. She is going to check as soon as they come in and call. Regardless she is putting him on the Doxycycline again. This time for a longer time. She said it wouldn't do any harm. Thanks for the good thoughts.

Old January 28th, 2010, 11:23 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

*sigh* Doxy and hazel are good friends--Cole and Macie both just came off 6 weeks of it and Ridge is in her 5th week. For the dogs, a probiotic helps immensely during long-term doxycycline treatment--not sure if it helps in cats, as well, or even if cats can have the same intestinal upset under treatment, though.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 28th, 2010, 11:31 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
*sigh* Doxy and hazel are good friends--Cole and Macie both just came off 6 weeks of it and Ridge is in her 5th week. For the dogs, a probiotic helps immensely during long-term doxycycline treatment--not sure if it helps in cats, as well, or even if cats can have the same intestinal upset under treatment, though.
Thanks hazel. I have some acidophilus in the fridge so if needed I can give it to him. Poor guy. I feel like I'm spending half his life pilling him.
I'll keep my and send out lots of for Cole, Macie and Ridge. Hopefully the doxy will have done it's job.

Old January 28th, 2010, 11:40 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

If you have acidophilus capsules, just open one up and sprinkle a little bit of it over his food. You won't need much....we only give the dogs about half a capsule and they weight about 50 pounds... The capsules we use can be reclosed if we're careful, too, so we don't waste any

Old January 29th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Jag and Gingers dad

Poor Brownie and you as this has to be very stressful on both of you. that the blood work shows the parasite and you don't have to do bone marrow testing.

If it is a blood parasite how long does it take to get rid of it or them ?.
never had to deal with it.
Old January 29th, 2010, 11:20 AM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

OMG what a saga this is turning out to be for both you and Brownie

Poor soul with all those vet visits and being poked and proded...can't make him very happy.

Hopefully today will shine some light on the problem and he is on the road to recovery really soon

(how many "housecats" does that make now??? )

Ginger and Hobo at the Bridge (Valentine's Day 2011) but NEVER forgotten <3...

"‎I have sent you on a journey to a land free from pain, not because
I did not love you, but because I loved you too much to force
you to stay" ♥ ♥

We do not have to wait for Heaven, to be surrounded by hope, love, and joyfulness.
It is here on earth and has four legs!
Old January 29th, 2010, 12:17 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
If you have acidophilus capsules, just open one up and sprinkle a little bit of it over his food. You won't need much....we only give the dogs about half a capsule and they weight about 50 pounds... The capsules we use can be reclosed if we're careful, too, so we don't waste any
I have the acidophilus powder. I can sprinkle a little over his food. I think the last time I checked it was about 1/8 a tsp. It probably won't hurt any of them to get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angeldogs View Post
Poor Brownie and you as this has to be very stressful on both of you. that the blood work shows the parasite and you don't have to do bone marrow testing.

If it is a blood parasite how long does it take to get rid of it or them ?.
never had to deal with it.
From what I've just read it's about three weeks. I would think if that's what he has it's going to be a longer dose because he's had it so long. I still haven't heard from her. Here's a site on it.
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body...us_anemia.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by diandpat View Post
OMG what a saga this is turning out to be for both you and Brownie

Poor soul with all those vet visits and being poked and proded...can't make him very happy.

Hopefully today will shine some light on the problem and he is on the road to recovery really soon

(how many "housecats" does that make now??? )
Thanks Diandpat. We're at 7 now. He's desperately trying to find a way to get that number down. We're looking at office trailers that can be converted.

Old January 29th, 2010, 12:33 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

14+ Hugs MF...So glad that your hopefully going to have the answers. I was checking out that link posted and noticed this....

When a cat is newly infected, it can take up to one month before adequate numbers of parasites are present to actually make the cat sick. Mortality is highest during the month following this initial stage. If the cat recovers, it becomes a permanent carrier though stress can re-activate the infection.

So maybe the big hurdle is over for Brownie in the sense that he has made it through initial stages....I am wondering though if he is now a permanent carrier can he infect other kitties or is it just stress you need to worry about??

Hopefully Brownie will be stress free in the house and all will be better! I am sending more good vibes your way !

I was going to ask you if there is a pet valu near you? I remember a couple of years ago I was getting prices for food because I was buying 3 cases at a time. If I remember correctly there was a program available that if you bought 6 cases you received 1 free. I can check it out for you again if you like. What wet food are you feeding them?

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old January 29th, 2010, 01:01 PM
Senior Contributor

So all this time, he could have been treated for one thing, and even be fine now, instead of them putting him through all these tests.

Poor Brownie. I hope everything will be cleared up and you'll know what you are really dealing with in order to get him well.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old January 29th, 2010, 02:34 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I hope you hear soon! hazel hates waiting...

Old January 29th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

I do hope you hear from them soon and can get this whole thing sorted out and know for sure whats causing the health issue.
Old January 29th, 2010, 05:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
You go thru 200 cans of cat food a week? Oh my! *fainting* Could u find a sales rep from the company and buy straight from them? There must be a phone # for their sales desk somewhere? If u could wrangle that you should be able to save money that way.

I you get some news on Brownie soon and that it is all good!!
Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old January 29th, 2010, 09:33 PM
~Cat Servent~

Well i hope they find that it's been something easy to fix all this time when they test the blood and they both do a big old 'well...der'!

So... another house kitty eh...and hubby hasn't gone to sleep in the garage yet???

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old January 30th, 2010, 12:17 AM
150% PRO S/N

Still haven't heard from the vet. I'm not surprised as she is very popular and busy. She did phone in the scrip for Doxycycline though so I got Brownie started on it. He will be on it for quite some time. If I haven't heard from the vet by Monday I will call her. It's possible the test results didn't come back today as well. Hubby has to pill Brownie tomorrow night as I am working. Should be fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
14+ Hugs MF...So glad that your hopefully going to have the answers. I was checking out that link posted and noticed this....

When a cat is newly infected, it can take up to one month before adequate numbers of parasites are present to actually make the cat sick. Mortality is highest during the month following this initial stage. If the cat recovers, it becomes a permanent carrier though stress can re-activate the infection.
I'm keeping a close eye on all of the kitties. If I see any sign they are right in to the vet. This is not something I want to go through again. Believe me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra_Queen View Post
You go thru 200 cans of cat food a week? Oh my! *fainting* Could u find a sales rep from the company and buy straight from them? There must be a phone # for their sales desk somewhere? If u could wrangle that you should be able to save money that way.
Debbie
I keep looking. Sometimes when I find sales I stock up. Like I said, it's the reason I work. Gotta feed the gang.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krdahmer View Post
Well i hope they find that it's been something easy to fix all this time when they test the blood and they both do a big old 'well...der'!

So... another house kitty eh...and hubby hasn't gone to sleep in the garage yet???
Yeah, can you see Dr B going well..... der?
Nope, not that bad yet. Maybe soon though. He would have to share it with Ace and Ajax.

Old January 30th, 2010, 12:23 AM
150% PRO S/N

Caught him mid yawn. Please excuse the kitty covered carpet. I didn't have time to run the vaccuum after work tonight.
You can see he does have some colour now. His tongue is a lot pinker than it was a couple of months ago. He looks like he's laughing at something.
Name:  IMG_0309.JPG
Views: 221
Size:  59.7 KB
One of the side by side pics.... Brownie on the left. Meowzer on the right.
Name:  IMG_0317.JPG
Views: 218
Size:  54.2 KB