Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old March 24th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Young at Heart

Can I feed both Raw and Kibble?

I've heard that it should not be done as it would cause a blockage - the foods would impact and not pass out of the dog's system. The reason I ask is that I wonder about feeding Raw in the morning and kibble at night.

I tried Bobby on Raw (purchased packages of raw meat for dogs) and, after a while on this food - about a month - he developed very loose stools then diarrhea (sp?).. so I switched to NRG (dehydrated). My two Goldens are now on Go Natural but the pull to Raw food is still with me.

Any and all comments and suggestions are welcome!
Old March 24th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Honest Contributor

There is no problem to feed raw at one meal, and kibble at the other - although that can put unnecessary stress on the digestive system and not all dogs could cope.

My suggestion for raw is: do not buy premade food, just buy regular meats at your butcher's or grocery store, it's much more affordable and of better quality. start with a single protein (chicken is recommended because it's easily available, cheap, and has digestible bones). Keep it simple, do not overfeed and be patient. adding some digestive enzymes at first is a good idea, helps the stomach to break down the bones if your dog is not used to it. Finding out the cause of runny stools is essential, otherwise it's not possible to adjust the diet to remedy. we're here to support you!

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old March 24th, 2007, 06:33 PM
Young at Heart

Hmm - Technodoll, you have made me rethink the kibble/raw because of the stress on the digestive system - that I don't want, as I'm sure, my doggies don't either! I'm very, very tempted to do this - partly because I just believe dogs should have raw food and now with the dog food scare - I want to know what they are getting! I may start with a small bit of chicken in the morning and see how they do with it. I'll also get those digestive enzymes before I try this. Thanks!
Old March 24th, 2007, 07:14 PM
Honest Contributor

Jan, if you need support, have questions or concerns, there are many knowledgable raw feeders here to lend a hand if it's the path you choose there can be some rough moments BUT looking long-term... it is the best, simplest diet you can feed your dog (or cat). and yeah it's so nice to know *what* you are feeding, too

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old March 25th, 2007, 12:15 AM

It is possible to feed kibble in the am and raw in the pm or vice versa, the most important thing is that you have enough hydrochloride in the stomach to break down the bone (if you are not grinding it) The amount of acidity produced in the stomach is related to the type of food you are feeding, and it may be a gradual process to "acclimatize" your dog.
Because you live in the island you have alot of access to free range, non treated meat, if you ask around.
While digestive enzymes are good to use with kibble, they are not neccesary when using raw, unless you wish to use one specifically for protein (protease) and fat (lipase)as they already "live" in the food. However, sometimes using a pre/probitic works well to "ease" the transition.
Old March 25th, 2007, 01:12 AM
Jag and Gingers dad

I feed my boy raw in the am and kibble in the pm.and got the same stools your getting.and then i just did the switch.and won't go back to kibble.
i've seen changes in him for the better and it's been only about 2 months i would say.goodluck with your adventure.raw is fun