Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 20th, 2001, 04:16 PM

Unhappy My dog has a major skin problem

My dog's name is Bailey and he has had a major skin problem for the past year. I have spent alot of money in Vet bills. He licks and scratches, and this is the third time this year I spend money on the same kind of pills. His skin has became black, and he's loosing all his hair, specially in his neck, inside legs, and face (eyebrows); He also smells really bad, no matter how many times I give him baths. Unfortunately, I have been laid off, and now I can't afford anymore vet bills, I also have to move, and can't take him with me. Just thinking about it, its hard for me, but I need advice on what to do. I don't think anybody would want him with the problems he has.
Old August 20th, 2001, 05:49 PM

skin

Don't give up on your dog. He would not give up on you. It is possible that he may have atopic dermatitis, possibly even mange. Has your dog been treated with any antibiotics, cortizone or prednisone? have you had any skin tests done, any blood work?

Skin problems are usually caused by an allergic reaction to something in the environment, whether it be fleas, mold, dust, pollen, grass, food or chemicals that cause the dog to itch. It is a chain reaction. Itching in turn causes dogs to scratch. Constant and continued scratching will lead to a breakdown in the skin. This generally leads to bacterial infection (secondary infection), which can lead to skin changing to black, hair loss and skin odor. This is a chronic case at this point! Many chronic cases require antibiotic treatment anywhere from 2-6 weeks, along with topical treatment. The type of antibiotic used is extremely important. This can not be stressed enough.

Equally important in treating skin infection is to keep the SKIN CLEAN. The type of shampoo and the amount of bathing depend on the specific symptoms present. Medicated CORNSTARCH with ZINC is very effective in healing and soothing the skin. While most skin problems are allergy related, not all skin conditions are caused by allergies. This must not be overlooked. There could be an underlying thyroid condition, or the dog could have lice, sarcoptic or demodetic mange mites. You should get your vet to perform any blood tests, skin scraping or biopsies that may be required to diagnose these problems.

Marie

for more:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load...285713384.html
http://www.vin.com/PetCare/Articles/Dogs/PCF02667.htm
http://cardogz.com/columns/vet/archive/1999_06_30.shtml
Old September 10th, 2001, 11:04 AM

I have a friend who has a golden retreiver and she swears by a diet for her dog who has never had a "hot spot" or fur loss which is supposedly common to this breed. It is called Wendy Volhard's Natural Diet Foundation (NDF) She works in collaboration with PHD pet foods but use supplements and grain from a natural diet to which you add your own meat and vegetables.I know a few people who think this is the best way to feed your pet and am currently trying to emulate this diet for my cats. Unfortunately I am not having alot of sucess as my kitties are really fussy eaters. You can get more info on the PHD website.www.phdproducts.com