Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Lost & Found (Pls include a pic if possible & write location in TITLE)

Old July 8th, 2008, 11:04 AM
-

Call the number I gave you and the extension 319, I don't know when you called but as of July 1st they handle Markham's Animal Control. Maybe you called before then or whoever you spoke to does not know what they are talking about.
Old July 8th, 2008, 12:21 PM

Hey Chris

Actually I've called so many numbers that I'm a little confused.
I DID call OSPCA but when I told them that Mishka had been lost around 2 weeks ago they said that they had JUST started serving markham and mishka would most probably not be there. Still though the lady was very friendly and checked to see if Mishka had come in. I have to say... they seem to do a much better job than PAWS. PAWS seem a little disorganized if you ask me.

I will call the number again to check for Mishka though.
Thanks for clearing up my jumbled brain.
Old July 8th, 2008, 02:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Ok I think I have to set things straight.

The OSPCA is head Office to all of the branches and affiliates. Each branch and affiliate have their own juristition. Like Oaville does Oakville and milton, Kitchener-Waterloo does Kitchener-waterloo, Orangeville does orangville and small towns around it.

Calling the OSPCA will not nothing. You have to call your local humane Socities. Also branches go my _____fill in blank SPCA. While affilates goes my ____fill in blank Humane Society.

so whatever town you live in, just check your local listings. If you live in a city that Animal Control is run by the city..it would be a Municipal Animal shelter/services. I would be going everyday. City shelters euth the mjaority that come through their doors within 3-5 days.

You can go onto the ospca website and they have a link that has all of the branchs/afficates and their website. It also tells you the area(s) that service.

Hopefully if it is a Humane society/SPCA, they don't euth for cage space. Like the one I work for.

Good luck

ACO22

Last edited by NoahGrey; July 8th, 2008 at 02:16 PM.
Old July 8th, 2008, 02:23 PM
-

ACO22 - the OSPCA York Region branch has the contract for Animal Control in Markham, that same branch also the Animal Control contract for Aurora. It is whoever the town contracts to do their animal control. For instance the Kennel Inn in Aurora does Animal Control for King City, Richmond Hill, Woodbridge etc.,

Your statement is just going to confuse bcalamity.

The Head Office of the OSPCA in Newmarket is only the head office of all OSPCA branches not affiliates. All Agents and Investigators are governed by the OSPCA rules and regulations regardless of whether they are an affiliate or a branch. Each OSPCA branch receives X amount of $'s from Head Office each year, then each Branch is responsible for raising what monies it can however it sees fitting. The Affiliates receive no funding.
Old July 8th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
ACO22 - the OSPCA York Region branch has the contract for Animal Control in Markham, that same branch also the Animal Control contract for Aurora. It is whoever the town contracts to do their animal control. For instance the Kennel Inn in Aurora does Animal Control for King City, Richmond Hill, Woodbridge etc.,

Your statement is just going to confuse bcalamity.

The Head Office of the OSPCA in Newmarket is only the head office of all OSPCA branches not affiliates. All Agents and Investigators are governed by the OSPCA rules and regulations regardless of whether they are an affiliate or a branch. Each OSPCA branch receives X amount of $'s from Head Office each year, then each Branch is responsible for raising what monies it can however it sees fitting. The Affiliates receive no funding.
yeah i know that. I work for a Humane Society. The affiliates have to pay yearly fee to the OSPCA in order to be assoicated with them My post was just confusing in general.

ACO22

Last edited by NoahGrey; July 8th, 2008 at 03:06 PM.
Old July 8th, 2008, 03:13 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO22 View Post
yeah i know that. I work for a Humane Society. The affiliates have to pay yearly fee to the OSPCA in order to be assoicated with them My post was just confusing in general.

ACO22
You are right on that one.
Old July 8th, 2008, 05:18 PM

hey guys

Well Chris the only places I've been able to find/get in touch with that could be even slightly affiliated with Markham have been:

PAWS Animal services -- I've called them and asked about mishka
Kennel Inn-- They told me Markham is irrelevant to them but checked anyway

And the OSPCA extention I was given. Although I tried calling them again today and it kept saying that all their lines are busy.

I even check the toronto humane found pets listing on a regular basis.

I'm not sure what other numbers to call.
Old July 8th, 2008, 05:45 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcalamity View Post
hey guys

Well Chris the only places I've been able to find/get in touch with that could be even slightly affiliated with Markham have been:

PAWS Animal services -- I've called them and asked about mishka

They had the contract until June 30th.

Kennel Inn-- They told me Markham is irrelevant to them but checked anyway

They don't do Markham, but I would want them to check considering where you live in Markham.

And the OSPCA extention I was given. Although I tried calling them again today and it kept saying that all their lines are busy.

I will talk to my daughter when she gets home, she works there. Will get back to you on that.

I even check the toronto humane found pets listing on a regular basis.

I'm not sure what other numbers to call.
You could try Toronto Animal Services East, but I would think it doubtful that she went that far south.
Old July 8th, 2008, 07:55 PM

Thank you Chris for all the info on those.
And for asking your daughter about the OSPCA location.

I've heard newspapers would be willing to post free ads in local papers about lost pets. I tried to get in touch with economist and sun but their website is jumbled and all the numbers I called got me nowhere!

Do you know of any papers I could contact for something like that?

Thanks a lot again...
Old July 9th, 2008, 08:25 AM
-

I checked with my daughter about the phone lines at the OSPCA, she said that after the storm we had early yesterday afternoon, all to their phones were down consequently that it why you were getting a message that 'all lines were busy'. They should be up and running today, so maybe you can try calling them again. Also give a description of you cat, every small detail that you can think of.

As far as Newspapers, me personally would place an ad in your local paper if you go to www.yorkregion.com there on the left hand side of the site you will see all of the towns it covers. Markham and Richmond Hill are there.

Have you asked neighbours to check in their garages, sheds and under decks?
Old July 9th, 2008, 08:52 AM

hey Chris

Thanks for asking your daughter! I'll try calling again today then.

As for the yorkregion site.. that's where I got some p hone numbers/contact information that led to nowhere. I'll try again.Maybe just post on their onlien classifieds or something. Thanks.

And as for neighbours... I left mini posters on all the houses near my area telling them shes missing... and on some of them it was indicated she could be hiding in their garages. I hoped if they did see her around they'd keep the card around and call me in time.

I dont think she's in anyone's backyard though. I mean... the only/last place anyone ever spotted her was a large farm field away from the houses.. which isnt really the best thing I've checked the field hundreds of times and found nothing. There's also a new area being developed full of houses that are under construction. I walked through there with a few friends, and after getting some glares from the security we had to leave. Plus it was a mess of broken wood and mud everywhere... I hope that's not where she's stranded
Old July 9th, 2008, 10:05 AM
banned user

I hope you left a flyer with kitty's info on it for the security at the new home site...they are usually around there in the night time...I have found they have been more than helpful once they know what you are up to.
Old July 9th, 2008, 10:52 AM

Actually I didnt. I probably should have.
Maybe I can still try to...
Old July 18th, 2008, 05:08 PM

So its a month today since Mishka went missing
Old August 25th, 2008, 10:51 PM

Hey i wanted to know if you found your kitty... The same thing happend to mine and its been a week and i basically did what you did so far. And my parents are just as unsupportive, well actually my dad is. Anyways i just wanted to know. thanks.
Old August 26th, 2008, 11:06 AM

hey logi.

Unfortunately I haven't found Mishka...

I'm sorry to hear you've lost your cat. Gather around some good friends. I think they could be willing to help more than parents.
Look constantly the first few days. Theyre the most important.

Good luck and I hope you find your lovely pet. <3