Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old September 26th, 2004, 12:53 PM

Barking dog when we aren`t home!!!

As I have posted before we adopted Chasew about a month ago. We have had such a hard time with her barking when we are gone. Which really is about 3 hours a day. Not that long!
We take Cashew for walks every 4 hours. The walks are about half hour each time.
We have talked to people that suggested kong toys. Tried then Chashew hates them. Has never touched the 2 toys filled with treats at all. We tried leaving for 5 minutes come back. Then 10 mins and come back. Not working she barks the whole time.
Then we bought the collar that will spray in her face when she barks. It was working...she would bark for 5 minutes or so...but compared to the 3 hours it was great! That worked for about 1 week or so. Little Cashew is a smart cookie. She releazed that if she barks softer she won`t get sprayed. She is barking again.
Last night we left her alone for 4 hours. Well the case was empty, her neck was sobbing wet and we could her barking from the parking lot.
I am not sure what to do next. Please any advice would help.
Old September 26th, 2004, 10:13 PM
Animal Lover!!

Hi there! Have you checked this out? I know a few ppl who this has worked for. We might be getting one as well
Talon 7yrs - Male
My Little Chocolate Girl - Solara - ** 10 MONTHS **
Old September 27th, 2004, 04:35 PM

We bought one yesterday and it doesn`t work
Old September 27th, 2004, 05:08 PM
Animal Lover!!

Oh no....maybe a muzzle then?
Talon 7yrs - Male
My Little Chocolate Girl - Solara - ** 10 MONTHS **
Old September 27th, 2004, 05:27 PM
Senior Contributor

No muzzle that will make things worse she will get so stressed she will develop destructive behavour. I know this sounds mean but it works. I had a rescue that had severe seperation anxiety and I tried everything and I mean everything, my last resort was the collar that gives them a little shock and I will say it worked incredibly well. I used it for about a week then I took the batteries out and put the collar on everyday as usual and he did not bark. I could not believe I tricked him but he still felt it on his neck so he would not bark. After a couple of weeks of no barking I left it off and went out for about 15 minutes and waited to see if he barked nothing. I told my neighbours if he started to bark to leave me a note. He did one day so the next day I put in the batteries and no barking, next day collar not batteries. He remained at home no longer barking but it was hard frustrating work but worth it. These rescues are so happy that they have people who love them and dont hurt them that when you leave they have a fear you wont come back so time also heals them
Old September 30th, 2004, 05:39 PM

Cashew is meeting with a trainer on Tuesday. Thanks for all your help!
The training is thinking she needs to crate trained. I am not so sure. What do you think?
Old September 30th, 2004, 05:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Crate training is a good solution to start with but you need to get her used to you leaving. There is also something called rescue remedy it is a natural product that calms them it is specifically for seperation anxiety. There is also a perscription but I perfer not to use drugs when there is a natural alternative.
Old September 30th, 2004, 07:28 PM

it is a natural product that calms them it is specifically for seperation anxiety...

Where would i get this? I called the local natural store and she said she never heard of this for dogs.. Can you help?
Old September 30th, 2004, 07:55 PM

Crate training is a good start, I find with my dog it really helps her to feel secure and she loves her crate. It is her place to go when she wants some quiet time and she feels safe there. I don't see how it would hurt regardless, espcially if the trainer recommends it. You should probably try the crate training without leaving every time, otherwise she might associate it with you leaving and resist it.

By the way, is your dog from Rosie's Animal Adoption? I remember seeing a little dog named Cashew on their website a little while ago. If so, lucky you, that's one adorable dog!
Old September 30th, 2004, 08:45 PM
Senior Contributor

I think it's called Bach's Rescue Remedy and no, it is not made for dogs, but it is quite safe, just a herbal mixture. It's supposed to counter stress - not sure if they just need to smell it or you add drops to their water. Like anything herbal, you may have to use it for a few days before you see any change.
Old October 1st, 2004, 02:45 PM

We also used a shock collar on one of our dobes. No matter what we tryed and we tryed everything as well he howled incesently. and i mean HOWLED non stop even when we were sitting next to him petting him. It was so loud we were getting complaints from naibors over a mile away. we only had to use it 2 days and then hang it on the wall and he never did it again. maybe we were just lucky that it stopped that quickly but it really did work well. but i would absolutly try everything else possible before you do this and I mean EVERYTHING. It broke my heart when my parents did this but it did work. and please don't jump on me for it, it was when i was small and my parents did it and i was too young to object or at least be listened to.
Old October 1st, 2004, 02:54 PM

Is there something specific he's barking at? For example, Toby my foster would routinely sit in the foyer of our house and bark at everyone he saw walk by. As a solution, we borrowed babygates from Adam's old boss and put one where the foyer started. It essentially barred him from getting close to the door. As such, he couldn't see people walking by anymore and stopped barking . Also, it gave us a nice leeway when coming in the door. No more flying beagle while we try to get in with groceries etc. in our hands. Toby is not crated either so perhaps its a similar situation?

Dee
Old October 1st, 2004, 05:35 PM

WE tried a baby gate but little Cashew just over the baby gate. We couldn`t believe it. This little 12lbs dog that cann`t get on the bed at night jumped over the gate!

I am not sure she is barking at anything. We have Cashew in the bedroom. We tried leacing music on and the TV but that doesn`t work!

Thanks for all the suggestions. They help!
Old October 2nd, 2004, 10:28 PM

Unhappy

We came home today and had this posted to our door!

I think that I speak for several tennants when I tell you that we are getting tired of listening to your dog bark hours at a time. I know that he is cute and that you got him at the SCPA, but he doesn`t seem to be the right type of dog for an apartment. he distrubes us all fequently and that is not fair to us. none of us want to go to the superintendant to complain but we will if this problem continues.
Sorry I don`t want to be mean. You are a nice couple and we like you, but your dog is making our home lives unpleasant.

This note was unsigned and we have went to neighbours to ask if the dog make too much noise, they said nothing. So we are sure what to do!

We are meeting with a dog trainer on Tuesday. Cashew has only been with us for 1 month. She is only home alone for 3 days a week at 3 hours at a time. We have used a collar to spray her when she barks but it doesn`t work!

What should i do? We love Cashew and don;t want to get ride of the dog! but we still need a place to live!

help!!
Old October 8th, 2004, 12:03 AM
Chocolate

ok, this is what I did w HOney... and let me tell u, I was first to cave and start complaining!! my neightbours never complained, maybe they're far too kind, I Dont know!

she used to bark at EVERY SINGLE noise/peep when she moved in. omg, after 3 wks, I was in pieces.

this started w the "Honey! quiet!" going to the "Honey, SHUT- UP!" (of course, that's never good )

I learned this: tell/warn her once, she does it again, AUTOMATICALLY get the muzzle.

all too quickly, Honey learned to pipe down. if I'd put the muzzle on her, she' become paralyzed, . put it on for a sec, take it off. do not praise her for being quiet. just take it off and continue w ur everyday routine. pretend the muzzle incident never happened.

but dont forget. the instant u hear a bark that's a bit too long, warn her w the (example) "honey... quiet" if she continues again, I get up. she's learned to pipe down.

the STRANGe thing (which is acutally understood) is that after she starts her barking, she continues w a WHINE... and that's bc she COULD whine when she had the muzzle. but heck, a meazly whine over a piercing bark.... hahaha

u get my drift.

I hope no one thinks I've been cruel.... it's worked wonders. my dog wasnt abused. she DID however display separation anxiety. but she's got Chocolate. so I dont worry.