Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old August 17th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Doggie Wench

Question "Natural Diet," Anyone?

Has anyone, or is anyone preparing and feeding the "Natural Diet" as discussed in W. Volhard and K. Brown's "Holistic Guide For a Healthy Dog?"

I've been reading the book and it sounds awfully interesting. I've been introducing raw to both Lucky and Penny (but Canidae as their main meal) with alot of success with the exception of raw fish (unless frozen). Is it worth a try?
Old August 17th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Swift Tribe

whats the natural diet? we feed raw meat and bones and offal along with whatever he scavenges from the kids. heh sounds pretty natural to me. *big cheesy grin*

-ashley
Old August 18th, 2007, 03:59 PM
Doggie Wench

Breakfasts consist of cereal grains (such as oatmeal and buckwheat), oil, eggs, molasses, yogurt, a little bit of vegetables, vitamins C, E, and B complex. Dinners consist of meat (beef), liver, bone meal, cod liver oil, kelp, garlic, wheat germ, herbs, etc.. Meaty bones can be given as well.

I have no complaints about the kibble but thought I'd go ahead and see if there are any overall improvements with this diet. The book offers detailed information so I figure I can't really go wrong in an attempt to switch. Just wondering if anyone else had tried it.
Old August 18th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Swift Tribe

we have sorta talked abotu doing that with our pets. right now they are doing the meaty bones and offal only. we did that for a while but it was really difficult to keep up with. i had more space in my fridge for the pets than us. we varied their dairy, veggies, grains and meats(cooked) daily. it was A LOT to keep up with. thats why we went with the raw meaty bones and offal instead. let you know if we go back and why?

-ashley
Old August 18th, 2007, 08:29 PM
Doggie Wench

The meat is fed raw in this diet as well. My two already are eating raw chicken, beef, duck, frozen sardines, etc., + bones and raw satin balls but I've only been giving it to them as breakfast and treats. They love it tremendously and are digesting it all extremely well.

It does look like a lot of work. I've made up a grocery list of all the products we'll need and it's twice as long as our own grocery list . I figured I had nothing to lose....other than fridge and freezer space.
Old August 18th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Swift Tribe

why do you not feed raw meaty bones and offal only? (just wondering)

-ashley
Old August 18th, 2007, 09:04 PM
Doggie Wench

I'm afraid of not providing them with a balanced diet ie. all their necessary nutrient requirements. I'm kinda one of these people who need to make sure I'm doing everything right before I try it. I couldn't forgive myself if I caused them harm in any way by missing out on something important. I'm not saying just meaty bones and offal are not good enough, I just want to make sure I'm not diving in to the unknown. I'm sure you've met some of those anally over-cautious kind of people before , the kind one would at . Well, that's me .
Old August 19th, 2007, 02:58 PM

Raw Foods Diet Question

We're considering switching our 2-1/2 year old 110 lb. Lab cross from Kirkland kibble to a brand that does not contain animal by-products and "meal", and corn, soy, wheat, etc. The trainer at our dog's obedience school suggested the dog would lose weight if we got her off Kirkland. She doesn't look fat and gets a strenuous 1 mile walking and running workout twice a day off leash. We never considered a "raw" diet that we prepare ourselves, but it sounds healthy. Does this really mean the foods are un-cooked? If so, how do you avoid issues with salmonella and other organisms that are elminated when the meats are cooked? Also, what exactly is a "meaty bone"? I know not to feed any cooked bones, she's got powerful jaws, too. Any answers out there?

Thanks!
Old August 19th, 2007, 06:47 PM
-

I did. Too heavy on grains for my liking. But if you think it's something you might want to try ALSO read Cheryl Schwartz's (DVM) Four Paws, Five Directions as it will give you a better understand of how grains work on the feline and canine body from a Chinese medicine point of view. (and it's just generally a very good book a complimentary Personally I would switch every other day with a complex carb like yams, potatoes or spaghetti/ acorn squash.
Old August 19th, 2007, 10:15 PM
Swift Tribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bateswriter View Post
We're considering switching our 2-1/2 year old 110 lb. Lab cross from Kirkland kibble to a brand that does not contain animal by-products and "meal", and corn, soy, wheat, etc. The trainer at our dog's obedience school suggested the dog would lose weight if we got her off Kirkland. She doesn't look fat and gets a strenuous 1 mile walking and running workout twice a day off leash. We never considered a "raw" diet that we prepare ourselves, but it sounds healthy. Does this really mean the foods are un-cooked? If so, how do you avoid issues with salmonella and other organisms that are elminated when the meats are cooked? Also, what exactly is a "meaty bone"? I know not to feed any cooked bones, she's got powerful jaws, too. Any answers out there?

Thanks!
we have a lab/boxer mix Mister and this is a usual week for him, forgive me, i just copied to here for you from another place. i had a few questions for someone else although i think i deleted them all.
oh and yes, its all raw. as complicated as that sounds, its quite easy to put together. never had a bacterial problem (although i will say once he buried a chicken for the night and ate it the next day. his stomach didnt appreciate it!!) with him or my kids. we are careful but not insane. i make sure i wash my hands well, the floor well, the door handle outside, drawer the meat is in... counter.... but i never think twice abotu letting him in the room after about an hour or so. we feel its important to give him a chance to rub himself of the grass when he is done eating. he eats outside in an area the kids arent allowed to play in. other than that, no sweat! you shoudl see his teeth, nice!!

Mister gets a whole 4lb chicken on mondays. when he is finished with
it, if i catch him first he brings the rest of the chicken to me. if i
dont, i gotta go dig it up. *sigh*
he gets the remainder the next day which is usually 2/5ths of the
chicken along with his chicken liver(2 or 3) on tuesdays.
wednesdays is usually fish day. he gets a whole talapia/salmon with
the spines cut off (got tired of stabbing myself when reaching in the
freezer YUCK!!) and a handful of fresh sardines.
thursdays is whatever beef is on sale at the local market down the
road. they have great prices. he has never been able to eat a beef
bone. sometimes its tongue, heart or muscle/bones.
fridays is chicken again. the whole thing, same deal as mondays.
saturday is 2nd part of chicken from friday along with chicken liver.
(2 or 3 livers)
sunday is usually turkey breast and a few chicken/turkey necks. (about 1.5lbs)

eggs are a snack through out the week. he probably eats a whole
dozen?? sometimes cooked, soemtimes raw. depends on what i am doing,
if i cooked some for me we will use to egg for training. he also gets
freeze dried beef liver for training treats and kongs with peanut
butter in it.

he also has Jeffrey(my son!) Clean Up Duty. anythign from a few peas/carrots to some cheerios or chex. not anything i would say is enough to "be a part of his diet" if you know what i mean.

every 2 weeks or so i fast him one of the first chicken day and then
give him the whole chicken the next day. he usually eats the whole
thing on those days.

hope that helps!!

-ashley