Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Senior cats

Old August 5th, 2013, 11:54 AM
Pro Poop Scooper!

Ahhh Coco!!

Poor boy ended up going to the vet on Saturday (after hours of course!) I came home from shopping and it was obvious he was having problems pooping. He was very uncomfortable and when he started panting, VET TIME!! So took him in and the vet did a whole check over. One bunged up kitty, so we decided an enema and an overnight stay was in order.

The vet sedated him a bit and gave him the enema. So he called and let me know that he found what was causing the problem; 2 fairly long pieces of broom straws!! Coco!! I caught him in the porch a few days ago, gnawing on the broom! He took off as soon as I saw him, didn't realize he got a few pieces off! So the vet thought an xray would be good just in case there was any more pieces stuck in there. Fortunately, there wasn't. What a kitty! I'm glad there wasn't any more. He's getting up there in years and the vet doesn't think he'd handle a full operation very well. His lungs are getting a bit fibrous and his heart isn't the greatest anymore. I'm guessing he's got to be at least in the 18 to 20 age range.

So he kind of ignored me Sunday but by last night he was his usual lovey self. I got to remember to keep him away from brooms!
Old August 5th, 2013, 09:31 PM

Hi:
Sorry to hear about the problem with Coco. Glad to hear he's himself again.

Thank you for the posting - glad you made it. I have a male Abby who gives me the same problem. We have to turn all our brooms bristle side up or hide them - to stop him from feeding on them.

We've been fortunate so far, he hasn't actually eaten any that we know of, but it hasn't been for the lack of trying.

This posting gives us some idea of what the side effects could be as a result of digesting a foreign object - specifically broom bristles.

Thank you
Old August 6th, 2013, 10:30 AM
Pro Poop Scooper!

No problem, he's done it in the past, and I think ate a few pieces but they went through on their own. Glad we could help!
Old August 6th, 2013, 10:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Just gotta love our critters huh pattymac! Coco needs more fibre in his diet apparently . That sounds like it was an expensive adventure, but glad it worked out okay. Upside down brooms sounds like a plan actually. With us it's wood, Lupa is always chewing any pieces of wood she can find. I also worry about splinters.
Old August 6th, 2013, 12:15 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Ya, dogs can be insane that way, too, sometimes. I think Lupa and Cole would get along famously, DD. He demolished an antique wooden magazine rack the other day. We were shocked when he threw up the splinters since in all the years we've had him, he's never been destructive that way (we were blaming poor innocent Brier for the vandalism ). He just had a fit of insanity and decided he needed to chew something...

Glad Coco came through okay, Patty. Wouldn't you think it would be terribly uncomfortable swallowing broom bristles? Much less having to poop them out...

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 6th, 2013, 01:53 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

Oh Hazel!! I can imagine those didn't feel too good on the way out. I would have thought they wouldn't go down too easy but he managed to. Amazing what they stuff into themselves!