Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 1st, 2013, 10:51 PM

Strangest rash I have ever seen...

I have attached a photo of my dogs stomach rash that we just noticed for the first time this evening. At first we thought he just had dirt on his stomach when we noticed this. He had no problem allowing us to clean it up, i was wiping at the rough patches and it did not bother him in the slightest, it actually tickled him now that i think about it. We didn't even have to hold him down, which we normally have to do for things like nail trimming, but I have never seen anything like this before. It looks like what our vet calls "happy tail" (scabs and hair loss on his tail from hitting things while wagging) that our yellow lab has had for about two years, but it is on is stomach. Kind of scaly, a little peeling on the perimeter, no smell or puss, he does not lick or scratch it to our knowledge.

He is a senior at about 10 years old, yellow lab, inside dog (hates outside), and we live in Las Vegas, NV so it is very dry most of the time. We have not changed his food and he is eating and drinking normally, and on no medications. The location of the affected area is where his tummy chub comes together, can dogs get chub rub? Have you ever seen anything like this?
Attached Images

Old August 1st, 2013, 11:56 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

Just checked out ringworm, cause while I've never seen it in my critters, that does seem to look like it from the pictures I was looking at. Google ringworm, easy to treat from what I've read
Old August 2nd, 2013, 07:15 AM
Senior Contributor

It looks like fleas to me. The black specs look like flea dirt. Those little buggers can stick like glue, I mean the flea excrement.

Ringworm is also a possibility. A Vet would know and have the advantage of being able to do a scraping and look under a microscope.
Old August 4th, 2013, 02:56 AM
Senior Contributor

If your vet cannot give you a satisfactory answer, be sure to see a dermatologist and get that taken care of.

Tags
rash, rough, stomach