Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 16th, 2004, 12:22 PM
banned user

Exclamation Please be careful with "FOUND" ads/posters!

I've had to put a few "found" ads in the paper in my day. I was always taking in strays, trying to keep them from being picked up by Animal Control and put in the shelter.

"Found" ads are free in our newspaper (not that having to pay would have stopped me), and I would place an ad- as well as calling all of the vets and shelters to let them know I had this stray in case the owners came by.

BUT you would not believe the amount of calls I got by people pretending to be the owner of the dog! ESPECIALLY those that were described in the ad as pit bull/pitbullX.

Please keep one point of identification to yourself, so you don't end up giving the dog away to someone other than their actual owner. Some dogs are so friendly, they'll run up to anyone excitedly and it's hard to tell just by looking whether this is recognition of their owner or just their friendly nature.

If the dog was wearing a purple collar- do not mention the collar in the ad OR TO THE SHELTER OR ANYONE. If the person calling you can't tell you what color the dog's collar is, they might not be the owner. I've heard the ladies at our shelter telling people who were looking for their lost dog "Well I had someone call saying they found a young female pom with a yellow collar...found in the area of....". Anyone standing there who wants a pom (for backyard breeding, whatever) can now identify that dog and pretend to be its owner. As soon as they hear "No, that couldn't be mine, mine was very old".....they can call and pretend to be the owner of the dog and give a description of her and where she was "lost".

Take a good look at the dog. Maybe it has a white tuft of fur behind each foot, a scar on its forehead......whatever. Find something unique to this dog that only the owner would be able to tell you. Sometimes other people take in the stray before you- put a collar on it- and then it runs away again, looking for its original owner, so collars aren't always perfectly reliable. Markings on the dog itself are better to go by, but still keep the color of the collar to yourself- it's a start- and have something having to do with the markings/scars/etc for backup.

"Found" ads are perfect for someone looking to adopt but can't afford it, for backyard breeders, dog-fighters, people with sick intentions.

When someone finds a dog, they are usually quick to put ALL descriptive information on "found" posters, in with the shelter, etc: "FOUND- male pitbull, brindle, not neutered, wearing a blue collar with no tags, scar on forehead, very friendly! {phone number and photo of the dog}".

PLEASE do not do this. At least keep one bit of info to yourself, for the sake of that dog (or cat).
Old August 16th, 2004, 01:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank you CF!! I mentioned this to the man who posted the two purebred INTACT male dogs he found, with pic included.

I should have thought of this before - thanks for bringing it up here!
Old August 16th, 2004, 01:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Really great post!!!

One phrase I see sometimes in the paper that I really like is similar to this:

FOUND: Small female dog. Call to identify.
Old August 16th, 2004, 11:06 PM
banned user

You're welcome Lucky- wish I would have thought of this sooner.

And yes, GlassLass- "Call to identify" is perfect!!!!
Old August 16th, 2004, 11:22 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Very very good post!!!!

VERY GOOD

Did I say VERY GOOD
Old August 16th, 2004, 11:39 PM
banned user

I'm sorry, did you say something?

LOL

Thanks, Ms. Luba.