Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 5th, 2008, 04:03 PM

can't get my dog to take his ear medication

my dog has an ear infection and the vet prescribed a cleaner and a antibiotic but we can't get the drops in. Everytime he sees them he tries to attack us. I don't know what to do!!! Any suggestions?! We tried a muzzle, we tried to hold him but nothing is working.
Old November 5th, 2008, 05:24 PM

Hi, and welcome to the boards. What kind of dog do you have?

Can you possibly try and distract him with treats or toys? How about sitting on the floor with him and playing or cuddling until you have him in a good position to hold him and get the drops in? I wouldn't be too aggressive with your methods because then each time you try and give him the drops it will be more and more of a struggle. I'm not sure how a muzzle and holding him down wouldn't work, but maybe I'm picturing it wrong. Basically you need to take control of the situation in a "pack leader" mode, not an aggressive one. Try putting him on his leash so he can't squirm as much? That's about all I can think of.

EDIT: I forgot to add, don't let him see the drops. Keep them in your pocket until the right opportunity arises. Then he wont be able to go hide or prepare for a fight when you go and get them.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Last edited by danam314; November 5th, 2008 at 05:29 PM.
Old November 5th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by danam314 View Post
Hi, and welcome to the boards. What kind of dog do you have?

Can you possibly try and distract him with treats or toys? How about sitting on the floor with him and playing or cuddling until you have him in a good position to hold him and get the drops in? I wouldn't be too aggressive with your methods because then each time you try and give him the drops it will be more and more of a struggle. I'm not sure how a muzzle and holding him down wouldn't work, but maybe I'm picturing it wrong. Basically you need to take control of the situation in a "pack leader" mode, not an aggressive one. Try putting him on his leash so he can't squirm as much? That's about all I can think of.

EDIT: I forgot to add, don't let him see the drops. Keep them in your pocket until the right opportunity arises. Then he wont be able to go hide or prepare for a fight when you go and get them.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
I have to agree here, it's sounds like he has more control than you do. Ask your vet or the tech to demonstrate a safe way to hold him for the treatment. Once he sees that this does not hurt and you know what you are doing..he should relax. I think he is pushing your buttons because he knows he can.
Old November 5th, 2008, 06:56 PM

hi,
i just tried the calmly approaching him with the ear drops in my pocket and petting him and the drops were a success. He didn't do anything. It's crazy i didn't think of that. But the thing is that i am scared of the dog cause he is 5 years old and I don't really know how he reacts to anything and such. But thank you. I am going to keep on doing it that way. Thanks
Old November 5th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

That is a good thing! Kudo's and high fives!

Please, do not be afraid of your dog, get to know him...(he just may be just afraid of you too)

Snuggle, lay on the floor, join his world and get to know each other. And talk to him.
Thanks so much for reporting back.

Welcome to the board!
Old November 5th, 2008, 07:28 PM

Very glad to hear you had success with the drops!!
Old November 6th, 2008, 02:37 AM
-

Glad you were able to get the drops in your dog's ear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapback_851 View Post
hi,
But the thing is that i am scared of the dog cause he is 5 years old and I don't really know how he reacts to anything and such.
I think it would benefit both of you to take him to obedience school.