Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old November 2nd, 2007, 07:43 AM

Baking can food & looking for kibble recommendations....

I'm looking for recommendations for dry dog food that is grain free and does not contain chicken, beef and preferably turkey. My dog absolutely loves her TW Ocean Blue kibble, but I would like to be able to offer a more of a variety with her dry food. I'm having a hard time finding any dry food that is both grain free and does not have chicken, beef or turkey. She never used to like dry food at all (didn't care for Nature's Variety or California Natural), but goes crazy for Ocean Blue. Any other suggestions of kibble available in the US that I should look into?

I'm also having a hard time finding 'treats' for her. I do give her veggies for treats, but I'd like to be able to give her some 'harder' treats such as biscuits. I was wondering if I could take a good can food and bake my own biscuits. Has anyone tried this? I assume I'd need something to help 'bind' it together but I can't think of what (again want to stay grain free). Any thoughts?
Old November 2nd, 2007, 08:12 AM

Orijen 6 Fresh Fish is the only kibble I can think of (besides the one you listed) that is a good grain-free kibble without those protein sources. Plenty of people on this forum feed it and I have only heard good things. It's made in Canada but available in the US. If you go to their site, you can do a search for places they sell. I haven't personally tried it yet but plan to in the future.....it seems like one of the best kibbles out there.

http://www.championpetfoods.com/orijen/orijen/
Old November 3rd, 2007, 08:25 PM

Thank you - I'll look into that. I went to pick up another bag of Ocean Blue today and they raised the price another $10 a bag. Ugh! While looking around I did come across another brand I'd not heard of called Taste of The Wild. They have a grain free fish based formula called Pacific Stream Canine Formula that I'm going to look into and read up on. It seems that between TW, Orijen and this new food fish is going to be the protein.
Old November 5th, 2007, 02:58 AM
-

Alot of the members here feed Orijen 6 Fish and have great results. It is also manufactured at their own plant which is a bonus. Timberwolf Organics is made at Chenango Valley Pet Food in New York which manufactures quite a few different brands some of which were involved in the last massive recall.

As far as making your own treats check out the Pet Recipe sub-forum here for some ideas....

http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=38