Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old June 17th, 2008, 02:36 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

Uncommon Eating Habbits?

Just wanted to see if anyone else has this "problem", altho it's not really a problem per say.

Dazy hardley eats. I mean she skips meals, 3 - 4 breakfasts a week, and sometimes eats only half of her dinner. She has always been this way, she's not sick, she's not over or under weight, and knock on wood - at this very moment she's perfectly healthy 21 month old golden. Shes very active and very social.

It just surprises us that she doesn't "pig out" or scarf her food, I mean goldens are up there on the "pig out" chart of dog breeds, very food motivated and orientated, yet she's never been this way. Anyone else have a breed that "should" be this way but isn't?

She barely eats 3 cups a day. Don't get me wrong, she'd eat her weight in treats, and she'd swipe your food if you left it unattended, but I basically have to bribe her to eat her meals. Its not the food, its been this way since we got her...even if you mix in goodies like cottage cheese or real meat, she'll eat some and leave the rest, some days she doesn't eat at all - we got back from camping Sunday night and she ate supper at 11pm, and didnt eat again till this morning - Tuesday...I just find it strange.

Can anyone relate? Like I said, it's not a problem cuz she's not sick or hungry, and it saves on dog food. Just something we think is out of character for her breed.

Pubert Wizzer Howell-Boyd III of the feline kind R.I.P my little guy!!

If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet!

221/194/170(for next year)
Old June 17th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Live well, laugh often

Never a problem at our house! Both the dogs and cats are all very good eaters. There was a great dog training website posted here a while ago that had a good article on getting dogs to eat http://www.dragonflyllama.com/%20%20MAIN/indexdog.html . There are also a bunch of other good articles that have strange names but are great information IMO.
Old June 17th, 2008, 02:47 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriM View Post
Never a problem at our house! Both the dogs and cats are all very good eaters. There was a great dog training website posted here a while ago that had a good article on getting dogs to eat http://www.dragonflyllama.com/%20%20MAIN/indexdog.html . There are also a bunch of other good articles that have strange names but are great information IMO.
I wouldnt imagine so with labs!! I feel the same about goldens, I think they are typically in the same boat with labs, she should be gobbling it all up! I mean these dogs you dont typically free feed, but I bet we could with Dazy, I'll check out the link, Im not to worried, you would think if she needs it, she'd eat it right? When we first noticed this we looked in to it and were told not to tempt her or start mixing things in, but even when we do, it doesn't matter, she'll eat half and walk away, leaving chicken or beef on her bowl. Weid eh?

The ONLY exception to this is if we have another dog over during feeding time, she'll eat it all up in a hurry and go sniffign for more.

She's 78lbs, so I'd say regardless of this, she's a good size, definitly not starving.

The cat on the other hand will eat until he explodes!! (or pukes on my carpet)

Pubert Wizzer Howell-Boyd III of the feline kind R.I.P my little guy!!

If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet!

221/194/170(for next year)
Old June 17th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Live well, laugh often

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Girl View Post
She's 78lbs, so I'd say regardless of this, she's a good size, definitly not starving.

The cat on the other hand will eat until he explodes!! (or pukes on my carpet)
Lucy would eat until she explodes (in fact she has eaten until she pukes when she was staying at my brothers house once and got into the open bag of dog food ), Riley is not nearly as food motivated as she is but still always has a great appetite and always is happy to be fed.

I don't really think it is a problem. The only time would be if she did have further health problems later in life then I think it is good if they have good eating habits ingrained as then it can make it much easier to maintain weight.
Old June 17th, 2008, 07:00 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Dazy's just a self-regulator, is all. (hazel wishes I had that problem! Our jeans would fit better!)

If Dazy is at a good weight for her, I wouldn't worry about it. It just means she's taking in as many calories as she needs and doesn't impulse snack.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 17th, 2008, 07:55 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Girl View Post

Can anyone relate?
Yes I can. Bailey sometimes won't eat or will not finished it all. To a point that , when he does finish it all , I praise him but same here , his weight is ok.
Old June 17th, 2008, 08:21 PM

Buster is a solid 17 lbs and is free-fed. he can scarf down a cup of food in a matter of minutes or he can go a day without eating. He does get his toast in the morning and treats every time he goes out....but sometimes I wonder if he is eating enough.

Don't let someone become a priority in your life when you are just an option in their life.
Old June 17th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Sleep..What is that?!?

I thought I would start this thread again cuz I have a pic to share

There's some odd eating habits in our house...

Since Mooki got sick, she will eat her crunchies and drink her water out in the kitchen, but she won't touch her wet food out there. I feed her the wet food in the bedroom and she gobbles it down like there is no tomorrow! Lately, she has taken to eating in her "house" Oh well, whatever gets her eating.
Attached Images

Old June 17th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

Chase has always self-regulated like this. It was so hard when he was a pup b/c I thought he wouldn't grow properly. I've switched to premium kibble and mix in wet food or grated carrot which he loves - but he always leaves some behind and will skip two meals in a row some days! I hope he learns to eat better when we get a new puppy in a few months!
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old June 17th, 2008, 11:37 PM
Remembering Lukka

Lukka was like that until I started home cooking for her just a month or so ago. She never seemed to enjoy her food and we switched to five different of brands of kibble in an attempt to find something she would like. Some days she would skip food entirely and other days she would only eat a cup, maybe slightly more. I always felt bad for her and wanted her to enjoy food so I started cooking for her and now she loves to eat, and I love to feed her.
Old June 18th, 2008, 06:32 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Our Bailley is like this too. He will go days where he only eats a bit,unlike Lukka'sma he will sometimes even turn his nose up at people food. He is perfectly healthy and his weight is fine. I guess they just know if their hungry or not.