Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 1st, 2003, 07:51 PM

Is my cat ill?

Hi,

I have a one year old cat that I have had since she was a kitten. I rescued the whole litter including the mom when the kittens were about 4 weeks old. The Mom was a very skinny cat and so is mine (Zoe). All of the other kittens have grown to be big healthy cats. I was wondering if there may be a medical concern with how skinny my cat is. She doesn't eat as much as other cats but she does eat a consistent amount. She also doesn't go to the bathroom very much. These behaviours have been this way since I have had her. She was always the tiniest cat in the litter and she has had all her shots. She has always been active and happy.

Is my cat just a small cat or is there a medical concern?

Lindsay
Old June 1st, 2003, 09:30 PM

if u look at humankind we are all different shapes and sizes , i would think that goes for the animal kingdom too.

Unless she shows signs of illness i would think she is small is all. But if your worried a checkup to be sure if you havent been then in awhile might be in order.
Old June 2nd, 2003, 01:53 AM

I hope you are right!

Hi there,

I think that you are probably right. She has always been this way and has never seemed unhealthy. She has been for a number of vet visits and they have never commented on it. The only thing that I worry about is that she seems to have so little feces in her litter box. I have had cats before her and she has hardly any! I am probably worrying for nothing but I really appreciate your response.
Thanks Lindsay
Old June 2nd, 2003, 05:24 AM

This may be a longshot but by any chance do you feed her the high price petfood you buy at the vet..
Years back I fed my dog the science diet food that you buy at the vet. They were to eat less as it was more filling (alot of food on the shelves at stores are just filler foods) . SO because its more filllling you have less stool.
This was the idea for this food too I was told at the time.
MY dog was put on this because she was allergic to eveything.
Good luck
Old June 3rd, 2003, 03:53 AM

Maybe that is it.

Hi there,

I do feed her a fairly high priced cat food. It is made with all natural products- no byproducts or fillers. Although it isn't from a vet. That may be why she doesn't eat or go to the bathroom as much. I think that she is healthy. She has always been a tiny cat, when people see her they think that she is a 6 month old kitten. She is short and skinny for her age as was her mom. I am hoping that it is just the way she is. Also she hasn't been fixed yet so she is very active ( she loves to chase our bunny!). Maybe she will put on more weight once she gets fixed.

Thanks for your thoughts

Lindsay