Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old December 21st, 2012, 11:28 AM

Meowing to the point that I might need a muzzle. I'm SLEEP DEPRIVED.

This adorable cat was found by myself in my old neighborhood. He lived in a large townhouse but was ALWAYS outdoors, and ended up getting fleas. After talking to the owners we were able to take him in. So, long story short, I moved out and got an apartment and adopted this cat! I removed all his fleas, he's super clean, indoor only except for a balcony and the occasional park excursion. I thought he would appreciate it.. BUT....

HE MEOWS incessantly! I get home from work and he meows for a good 2 hours until he passes out. Then, he will start HOWLING sometimes as early as 4AM other times 7AM (when I'm lucky) and my alarm is set to 8AM so I never get a full 8 hours anymore. I get 5-7 at best. Then, once I'm up making breakfast, he's meowing walking in circles until I pet him and the instant the attention stops, he starts. I can deal with the meowing while I'm awake. However, during sleep is UNACCEPTABLE. Having a cat should not be this much pain.

I do play with him for at least 30 mins when I get home after I feed him. My fiance also plays with him and we both try our best to keep him entertained with toys and music while we're gone.

He meows so loud and our apartment is so small that earplugs are NOT enough. It seems like he wants to play as he has food! I'm currently sleep deprived and considering giving him back to the previous owners who don't even care about him! This cat has been passed around and now i know why! He SUCKS! I really regret this.. but now I'm stuck with him. If he was only QUIET he would be the PERFECT cat!!!

We moved 2 months ago and this is just getting worse. I don't want to let him outside as I live in a busy area. I tried those phermone collars with absolutely no success. I tried giving him excessive attention during the day but once I ignore him the MEOWING ensues.

Yes, he's spayed. I also took him to the vet and he has clean bill of health. He's an 8 yr old Male Siamese. I think he has a neurological problem. He's a Siamese and I get that these cats are vocal but this is ridiculous.

My options so far are:
-muzzle during the night (ok this is a joke but.. seriously I considered it for a spit second lol)
-some sedative to be administered to him (not a great long term solution)
-just wait it out??
Attached Images

Last edited by MEOW247; December 25th, 2012 at 11:46 PM. Reason: image too large
Old December 21st, 2012, 11:56 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Quote:
"indoor only except for a balcony and the occasional park excursion. I thought he would appreciate it.. BUT...."
If I had to bet, the cat is meowing to go out.

I have a suggestion in this case - stop letting the cat out - no exceptions

OR only let the cat out at the EXACT same time every day. If this is not possible, stop letting the cat out. The cat needs to know when it is going to go out or it will 'ask' to go out to the point of insanity.

If this is not the problem, then some type of behaviour modification plan might be in order...or I might go the sedative route as a last resort.

I too have 2 sphynx cats that are way too vocal so i feel your pain.

I'd be curious to know what other members suggest.

good luck.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old December 21st, 2012, 12:45 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

none of mine are overly vocal, Noella likes to answer when you talk to her and Bobee sometimes goes on yowling sprees. I would say lots of play time, tire him out. I've been sort of following Jackson Galaxy and he's amazing with cats. His main thing seems to be that alot of problems stem from cats not getting what they need, which is hunt, eat, groom and sleep. One thing that has really helped me, my Noella is young and she can be a major little trouble maker but she'll be good if she can watch the birds, so I have bird feeders out and that's her major entertainment, she'lll sit and watch, have something to eat and go and sleep. Maybe if you can put a feeder out on your balcony and if he has a window he can sit and watch the birds. A wand toy at night so you can tire him out with some playtime. I like those better than laser lights cause they can actually catch it and kill it. My other cats are quite a bit older so they spend most of their time sleeping. Oops sorry just read that you do have playtime with him. Oh, try a calming collar, you can get them at Petsmart. It's all natural and it really does work or a Feliway pheromone diffuser, also at Petsmart. I used the calming collar on my cats when I adopted a very defensive, very large Maine Coon. He wasn't used to living with other cats and this worked wonders for everyone. Took about 24 hours and he could actually relax and not go around smacking the other cats. I also used them when we moved across the country, there isn't much more stressful than sticking 3 cats and a dog in a van for a week!!

Last edited by pattymac; December 21st, 2012 at 12:51 PM. Reason: added stuff
Old December 21st, 2012, 02:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Siamese cats are very vocal and loud. This web site said Siamese cats do like to hear themselves talk , maybe if you turned on a radio very softly your cat will listen to that instead of taking so much. I knew a women that had 2 Siamese cats to keep one another company as they do get lonely. Have asked your vet if any of his patients lost a Siamese cat and would like another one? You could also put up photos in other vets office . I am sure there is some person out there that just lost their Siamese cat and would love to have another. I hope you'll not have to bring it back to the first owner.

http://pets.webmd.com/cats/guide/cats-excessive-meowing
Old December 21st, 2012, 02:13 PM

Thanks for the responses

I already tried a calming collar with phermones, it didn't make any diff unfortunately.

I WILL try getting a bird feeder. My last place was a nice townhouse so I didn't want bird poo everywhere but I live in an apartment now so I don't really care about that.

I'll give it another month. Yeah, good point BarkingDog.. excellent advice. I hear ya.

PS. I'm Canadian

Last edited by MEOW247; December 25th, 2012 at 11:46 PM.
Old December 22nd, 2012, 10:21 AM
Willing cat servant

Playing time might add to the equation as well.
Scheduled activities just like Marko said or not going out at all.
He's a beautiful cat and he doesn't suck ♥ He just needs to find someone with enough patience to deal with this and get through it. The more he's rolled around the harder it must be for the poor little guy.
A night before last night, Yoshimi (a cat here) kept meowing to the point of insanity and she's deaf so her meowing is incredibly loud, kept everyone in a big house awake, so I know what kind of noise you're talking about. (she wanted in one of the bedrooms)
I know you're here trying to find a solution Please have patience with him it's time for him to find a good perma home don't you think? And yours sounds like a responsible, caring one. You just have to get through this and this is caused because he's so used to being outside.
Here comes Yoshi again btw meowing like nuts because she got a trophy in her mouth as I type this.(a piece of rock haha)
Old December 22nd, 2012, 12:41 PM
Senior Contributor

It can be difficult to transition an outdoor cat to indoors. Cats have not been domesticated nearly as long as dogs and it's been said having a cat is the closest most of us will get to living with a wild animal. My Vet said in his studies he learned pigs and cats will go feral faster than any other domestic animal.

Thus it may be that a new home where he can be outside safely would be a good alternative. It might improve the quality of his life and yours.

Other thoughts: We have two howlers. Have you heard of Deaf Cat Howl? It's awful. One of ours is also experiencing dementia. This is way tougher as you can't let a deaf cat outside. One of ours was always a talker but now she is deaf it's a howl. She will howl to herself for hours at night. During the day it doesn't matter if we are with her, she can't hear us so she often doesn't know we are in the room with her. Check your cat's hearing.

He doesn't look Siamese but I guess that doesn't matter. Neither of ours is either and they still howl. Good luck
Old December 23rd, 2012, 03:11 PM

Koteburo -- YOU ARE RIGHT!! I love this cat to death and am not going to give him back to the previous owners. I am developing more patience and he's actually doing better with everyday!!

I have stopped letting him out but this is mostly due to the rain. When he goes out again it WILL be scheduled. Good point! You sound like a very patient person with a big heart and I'm sure part of that is because of your kitties. I'm sure this cat is helping me turn into a better person.

@Longblades - he is a flame point Siamese! Luckily he's not deaf as he will respond to the faintest sounds. That's incredible that you put up with all that howling!! Gosh, I cannot believe how many wonderful caring people are out there, it really gives me hope!

Another thing I do now is I feed him his wet food at night right before bed and a clear bird feeder is on the way (in the mail)!

This cat is MY FAMILY. I cannot let him go!! I will do my best to be more patient with the poor baby. It's not his fault. My fiance and I love him to death and he's sooo sweet when he's quiet.

Last edited by MEOW247; December 25th, 2012 at 11:47 PM.