Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 10th, 2004, 05:27 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG rare sighting pure dingo

yesterday driving through a national park on a back road (about 200km from sydney)i saw the most amazing thing. sauntering out of the bush comes a beautiful purish DINGO (as pure as could be, but most are mixed but i couldnt see any other breed). he was just beautiful. i have never seen a pure dingo on the mainland of australia, only on frasier island (said home of the last pure population). i have seen GSD X dingo, staffie X dingo, cattle X dingo and just about everything else. but this one looked like the ones on the island, and he must have been pretty pure as when they mix breeds the foreign breed is always dominant in physical features and he just looked all dingo. boy am i a lucky lady, this is a very rare occurance, i have lived and worked in the bush all my life and have never seen anything like it. we didnt bother him though, no point doing that, the next tour bus to find him will probably do that, or maybe they never will, one can only hope...in the area we saw him it is pretty wild and they have only just discovered some significant cave paintings there (even with all the tourists and its location to sydney they didnt find them) so it may just be remotly possible that he really was pure and living a pretty undisturbed life, i can only hope... yay for that lovely dingo, go dingo
Old May 10th, 2004, 05:42 PM

That's great! I never knew that there were so many mixes of dingos. I just thought that they were all pure wild. Strange that wild dogs would mate with domesticated dogs. Well, I guess Dingos aren't really wild dogs. Are they?
I was watching a show the other day filmed in Australia. They had this one scene where there were dingos in it and they were yipping away. Bob just about went nuts! He went right up to the TV and was trying to figure out what the heck was going on.
Old May 10th, 2004, 06:02 PM
Senior Contributor

dingos are wild dogs, many of them were domesticated (sort of) by the aboriginal people of australia and used as companion/hunting animals but they certainly did not domesticate all and many live wild in packs. on frasier island they are all totally wild. i suppose its like all animals, they are wild but we take some and domesticate them. although the aboriginal people never deliberatly breed them or anything, just selecting what they wanted from wild packs.
the mainland of australia does not supposedly have any pure dingos left, domesticated dogs have breed with them every where. it is a huge problem especially when you get a gsd or rotwheiler mixed with a dingo, then you have a really big tough wild dog, ther are feral packs of them everywhere (and they are really dangerous). im not sure about the law now, but in the 90's you could not enter western australia with an undesexed dog of certain breed like gsd and rotty.that is how bad the problem was there. on frasier island all domesticated dogs are banned, but they have a really big dingo population but every now and again a few get shot because some stupid tourist or irrisponsible parent feeds the dingos and they get attacked and the dogs get killed. last time i was on the island i was with a friend who was a jillaroo (female stockman, cattle drover) she had the best dingo mating call i have ever heard from a human, she did her call a few times, throwing back her head and howling at the night sky (freak), and didnt you know it, 15 minutes later we were surrounded by male dingos, silly bugger. and dingos are real cheeky, they will walk right up to your table and when your not looking steal your food .or rip into yoru tent and devour the contents of your esky/food storage thingmabob. so yes im a lucky girl, i was thinking of ringing national parks and telling them but im not sure if that is such a good idea? their habitat is protected so is there really any need to other than for research, 'cause' if you tell a human you know what they usually do.....im not sure yet.....
yay go dingo
Old May 10th, 2004, 06:29 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Is there somewhere that you can report this to so that they have a count?

It's wonderful you got to see something so precious.
Old May 10th, 2004, 06:37 PM
Senior Contributor

i figure they are not doing a count as there was no advertisement in the park, if they are counting they post huge signs everywhere on the trees, same as when they do poision. but i was going to ring the NP office there and check. yay dingo
Old May 10th, 2004, 08:39 PM
banned user

Wow COOL! I like the Hyenea's with them big butterfly ears......mind you hate to get bit by one