Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old November 3rd, 2008, 11:45 AM

Trouble with crating

We have had Vessa for a while now, very good girl. Problems is I work 7-12 shift weird schedule 3 days on 1 day off then 3 on and 7 off, we crate Vessa while I'm at work but lately she has been flipping out. She is good at night in the crate it's just while I'm at work. Last week she tore her mat up, urinated, and some how took the skin off the top of her nose. I do put her in the crate when I leave for short times and she is fine. Really need advise as my shift starts this Thursday.
Old November 3rd, 2008, 11:59 AM
Senior Contributor

Wow do I feel for you. Unfortunately crating is another 'routine' activity. Because you shift work I can appreciate your situation. I assume you provide her with a favourite toy while crating. Do you give her a kong with maybe peanut butter in it to keep her busy?
Old November 3rd, 2008, 12:20 PM
Senior Contributor

How old is Vessa? Does she really have to be crated? Could you have a neighbour drop in to relieve her during your work shift? Maybe she could go to doggy daycare instead, or at least for some of the time? Could you gate off a small room for her instead? Crates can be pretty barren isolating places, especially if you are unable to leave bedding or toys in for safety reasons, as we found. As you have found out, bored, unstimulated puppies (dogs? age?) can get into trouble.
Old November 3rd, 2008, 12:20 PM

I'll try the kong ,we do give her, her favorite stuffy and a few other toys. Her nose is almost healed now, just don't want her to do it again.
Old November 3rd, 2008, 12:23 PM
Senior Contributor

How old is the dog?
Old November 3rd, 2008, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
How old is Vessa? Does she really have to be crated? Could you have a neighbour drop in to relieve her during your work shift? Maybe she could go to doggy daycare instead, or at least for some of the time? Could you gate off a small room for her instead? Crates can be pretty barren isolating places, especially if you are unable to leave bedding or toys in for safety reasons, as we found. As you have found out, bored, unstimulated puppies (dogs? age?) can get into trouble.
Vessa is a little over 5 months old, she can jump a gate as she is a good size Rotti I would hate to see the damage she could do. Hubby is building a kennel in the basement for her but it won't be done by Thursday. Doggy daycare not available and neighbors all work too.:sad:
Old November 3rd, 2008, 12:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus View Post
Vessa is a little over 5 months old, she can jump a gate as she is a good size Rotti I would hate to see the damage she could do. Hubby is building a kennel in the basement for her but it won't be done by Thursday. Doggy daycare not available and neighbors all work too.:sad:
I wouldn't want to see the damage either...been there and done that! So tell me where you got the pup, a little more history and how long have you had her?
Old November 3rd, 2008, 12:46 PM
Senior Contributor

My OH made our gates. They are very sturdy and nearly 4 feet high. We kept our pup, (Lab now 12 months old), in the kitchen. At about 3 months we kept the crate but left the door open so he could roam the kitchen. Bedding he chewed in the crate was not chewed in the free space of the kitchen.

At about 5 months we began letting him free in the house at night. At this point we noticed an amazing change in his daytime demeanour. No longer did he charge about the house as if checking out each room and what might have changed in it while he was gated in the kitchen overnight. He became much calmer. He chose to sleep on his bed in our room overnight and there was no wandering and no damage done overnight.

I know pups are all different and there is no guarantee what worked for our boy will work for yours. I just wanted to give you a good story of early disuse of the crate and you can decide for yourself if you might want to try it. I confess also, I work from home so no longer have that dilemna.
Old November 3rd, 2008, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
I wouldn't want to see the damage either...been there and done that! So tell me where you got the pup, a little more history and how long have you had her?
I've had her since Oct. 4. I got her from a very good breeder, recommended by friends who has 2 Rottis from them. This breeder checks up on the pups often and requires you take your pup to obedience class and at least try to show.
Old November 3rd, 2008, 01:30 PM

Try taking her for a long walk before you leave for work. This way she will be tired and probably will just sleep while your away.

The kong I find works wonders! We had a foster that wasn't too keen on the crate. But the minute you put the kong inside (stuffed with all his favorite goodies) he didn't even care if you were still there or not!

Where is your crate located? Many people, when they leave home, confine their new dog to the yard, a bathroom,kitchen, or a laundry room. This is counterproductive for many reasons. First, the dog is not used to spending time in that place. It is filled with unfamiliar and uncomfortable smells. They do not associate you with that room, but rather the fact that you are leaving.
This may lead to separation anxiety in the future. Second, the floor surface is
uncomfortable and there is no traction available, making the dog more nervous. Also, the environment is much too large to create the “den” environment that dogs need to feel comfortable. Lastly, these places are seldom where you are when you’re home, therefore the dog will not willingly go there and use that as a “safe place” when they are nervous. I put ours in our kitchen or bedroom.

I usually turn on some soothing music for them to listen to while I'm not home. Also you might want to look into get a "Dog Appeasing Phermone" plug in for her. This helps alot of dogs. What it does is gives of the scent that a mother dog would and it calms them.

Good Luck!
Lovey - Female Fawn Boxer (RESCUE)
Anakin - Male Brindle Boxer (RESCUE)

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. - Mohandas Gandhi -

~Until there are none, rescue one ~

Boxer Rescue - www.rescueaboxer.com
Scentsy - www.ilovescents.ca
Old November 3rd, 2008, 01:34 PM
Senior Contributor

TotallyHip is bang on!
Old November 3rd, 2008, 01:50 PM

We will move the crate and put some music on.
Last week we had the crate in our bedroom that is where she is at night but it didn't work, she tore up her mat. I will try all suggestions thanks everyone.
Old November 3rd, 2008, 02:27 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

So this 5 month old pup is being crated for anywhere from 7-12 hours at a stretch? IMO that's way too long - a pup that young shouldn't be asked to 'hold it' for more than about 6 hours or so, and the lack of human interaction/stimulation has got to be insanely boring for her. Did the injury to her nose & the destruction occur during a week where you worked the 7 days on?
Old November 3rd, 2008, 02:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandy View Post
So this 5 month old pup is being crated for anywhere from 7-12 hours at a stretch? IMO that's way too long - a pup that young shouldn't be asked to 'hold it' for more than about 6 hours or so, and the lack of human interaction/stimulation has got to be insanely boring for her. Did the injury to her nose & the destruction occur during a week where you worked the 7 days on?
I agree Kandy - but now that everyone must work in order to get through life, this is what is now happening.

How about hiring a pet sitter/dog walker to come to your home during mid hour?
Old November 3rd, 2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandy View Post
I guess I should clarify I work 7am to 12 noon Vessa is in her crate less than 6 hours as work is 15mins from home.
Old November 5th, 2008, 12:23 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus View Post
I guess I should clarify I work 7am to 12 noon Vessa is in her crate less than 6 hours as work is 15mins from home.
Whew! Glad it isn't 12 hours!