Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old April 25th, 2006, 11:36 AM

Unhappy HELP!! Cats Gone Wild!

I have two beautiful, eight-month old kittens who are brothers. They are orange-striped color, and declawed and neutered. I need some helpful advice as to how to train them to better behave, at least while we're at home.

We have made numerous adjustments to living with these two. The problem is they love to jump on our kitchen counters and stove, and lick any clean or dirty dish they can find. It's almost next to impossible to cook a meal because while your back is turned to one side of the kitchen while attending to the stove, they jump up on everything else. We have tried the water squirt routine and this does move them off for a moment or two, but as quick as we turn our backs, they're up to their old routine again. I also worry they may inadvertently jump up onto the stove and burn themselves.

I had to put them outside on our enclosed patio to make homemade cupcakes and they almost had a fit because they're not accustomed to being outdoors.

They love sitting in our windows so much [which I know cats do LOVE], they managed to snap off the bottom slats of our vinyl blinds and I cannot think of anything to replace them with that can't be destroyed.

Within a day of having them, they chewed clean through every stereo wire on our brand new home theatre system -- ugh! They beat me to the punch of putting all the speakers away first. So after paying $150 for a new set of wires, we have been connecting the system only when necessary and storing it away otherwise.

They sometimes pee in inappropriate places, like on a bean bag chair, even though they appear to be very good at using the litter box. And one of them has a habit of biting, but not to the point of drawing blood, my nine year-old son who will just be sitting quietly while reading or something. Maybe he has an enticing scent??!! And no I swear ... he's not pulling his tail when I'm not looking.

My husband is about ready to kick them out and I am torn over this whole thing. We have been through a lot with these kittens, including a 10-week ringworm treatment program where they were isolated in their own room. They managed to destroy nearly everything in that room, but that's another story. They are fairly affectionate, like to purr and play with their mousey toy.

Any suggestions?!

Thx! Diana
Old April 25th, 2006, 12:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaR
The problem is they love to jump on our kitchen counters and stove.....
double sided tape on your counters & stove. may take a few times. but they won't like sticky paws. another option, put citrus rinds on the edge of your counter (fresh orange or lemon peels work good).

Quote:
They love sitting in our windows so much [which I know cats do LOVE], they managed to snap off the bottom slats of our vinyl blinds and I cannot think of anything to replace them with that can't be destroyed.
put the blinds all the way up to the top of the windows when you're not in the room. curtains, shades, roman blinds, bamboo roll blinds, vertical blinds are other window treatment options. or make them a window seat in a window without blinds, and encourage them to use it.

Quote:
Within a day of having them, they chewed clean through every stereo wire on our brand new home theatre system -- ugh! They beat me to the punch of putting all the speakers away first. So after paying $150 for a new set of wires, we have been connecting the system only when necessary and storing it away otherwise.
When my cats were kittens I always just used a towel. I'd just put thick beach towels over the wires until they lost interest. or you could vicks vapo-rub the wires (only the outer coating) so they taste/smell very bad. There are citrus sprays available too, you could just spray them.

Quote:
They sometimes pee in inappropriate places, like on a bean bag chair, even though they appear to be very good at using the litter box.
you need to clean these spots with an appropriate cleaner - Nature's Miracle is a good one. even though it appears clean, the cats may still smell urine and continue to use it.

Quote:
And one of them has a habit of biting, but not to the point of drawing blood,
never play with the kittens with your hands. always use a toy. keep many toys handy. I used to keep a small basket in almost every room to redirect any crazy-play. if the kitten latches on, freeze. don't struggle, it'll just get worse.

other things that help... scratching posts w/ catnip & toys on them, kitty-condos, or even a old cardboard box w/ an tin-foil ball in it! get creative! My cats will play for hours with a silly ball in an old cardboard box.
Old April 25th, 2006, 12:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Unfortunately, declawing can have consequences. Declawed cats do sometimes develop a habit of biting, and inappropriate urination is also sometimes a result. This is not their fault, so you must be patient.

All excellent advice from jessi76. 8 month old males can be very trying, but they'll calm down when they are a bit older.
Old April 25th, 2006, 12:32 PM

Smile

Thank you sooooooo much for your help and advice! I am not sure my son is playing with the kittens with his hands, but he might be, as could all of us, so thank you for your insight. He does play his video games and they have wires that are enticing for play, of course.

It's too bad we don't have a window that we could add a seat to, but perhaps using a certain scent in the area will keep them at bay. We do have a sliding door area that they like to be near for their sunny naps.

I'll definitely try the sticky tape. Thx again!!!
Old April 25th, 2006, 12:47 PM

I wish you hadn't declawed, I have a feeling it's behind some of your troubles. Like peeing on the beanbag chair--declawing can make the paws very painful and sensitive and thus make kitty litter hard on the paws, so they're probably looking for a better, softer place.

(That said, one of my kitty boys also had a thing for peeing on soft things when he was eight weeks old, and he wasn't declawed. So it may just be an age thing. I just kept him away from everything soft unless I was supervising, and then when I saw him start to squat I'd grab him, whisk him away to the litterbox, and praise him mightily when he went there. And then I'd give him a kitty treat.)

Declawed cats can also become biters, biting when they feel threatened. That's because their first line of defense, their claws, are gone.

If you ever get another cat, I strongly urge you not to declaw. Cats CAN be taught not to scratch on furniture and not to scratch people. My kitty boys ADORE their cardboard scratchers.

Anyway, about the biting, try having your son loudly yelp "OW!" whenever they do it and see if that helps. Are you certain he isn't playing too roughly with them when it happens? Also, never hit a cat to punish it . . . They won't understand what you're doing and will just become more upset and aggressive.

~LM~
Old April 26th, 2006, 01:11 PM

Nothing useful to add, just that my male cat had a thing for peeing on our very expensive down duvet when he was a kitten. I read that there may be a smell with down that attracts some cats to pee and I'm sure it helped that it was nice and soft and comfy. A lot of cats that pee out of their litterboxes tend to like soft surfaces so try to keep towels and such out of reach. My brother in-law is on his third mattress now, he was smart to get the 10-year warranty!
Old May 30th, 2006, 12:40 PM

Thanks again!

A quick update ... the inappropriate peeing was occurring before the one kitten was declawed. He recently started peeing in a corner on the carpet because a few papers were left there and he has taken a liking to the spot. I have tried different methods for trying to discourage this, based on researching this topic, but nothing has worked. I may have to reside myself to washing a rubber-backed rug every week indefinitely.

They both love the counter-tops and the smell of citrus [and I also tried hot sauce] does not deter them. The only thing that will get them down is the water bottle squirt, or my husband snapping his fingers, but it's not a long-term solution. My husband does not want the double-stick tape everywhere. I think we have resided ourselves to living with this, as we do our best to leave nothing out for them to get into, like a loaf of bread, dirty dishes they can lick, glasses they can tip over, paper towels to chew up, etc. You would think this would help, but I guess their curiosity gets the best of them. It is frustrating though.

Cats are interesting creatures. We have a three year-old who is incredibly well behaved, from a human's perspective -- no counter-tops, no litter issues, etc.

I am grateful these two haven't rubbed off on her and hopefully, never will.
Old May 30th, 2006, 08:50 PM

Cats are notorious for peeing on bean bag chairs. Don't know why but many will do that.Also plastic bags. As your cats get older they will calm down. Every time they get onto your counter put them back on the floor as soon as you can. In time they will almost always stop doing this. Be consistent just pick them up and set them back on the floor.
Old June 16th, 2006, 08:09 AM

I hear they don't like lavender scent..it worked as a deterrent for my sister.
One note: you should have 3 litter pans...they sometimes don't like to share. (ie:mine!)
I have also heard that by putting a pan where he likes to go for a period of time then slowly moving it away towards the internded destination may break him of that "special" place.
Best of luck,
nicole
Old June 21st, 2006, 08:29 PM

I don't really have any other advice for you, this reply is just an "I feel for you" post.

I also have had the experience of raising two kittens (female) who seemed out of control. They would break, knock over, chew, scratch anything and everything (though no real peeing thank goodness). At night they would run around and make so much noise I thought someone was breaking into my house! I called them "My awful, awful kittens" ~affectionately of course~ they tested my patience, but now that they have calmed down a little bit, they are such sweet little things (most of the time anyways!).

I hope things get a little better!