Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 23rd, 2013, 08:37 PM

Covenia experiences and opinions

My 12 year old cat Katy has a kidney infection. I took her to the vet two days ago and he did a urinalysis and said she would have to run a course of antibiotics. I have a few issues. She was also refusing to eat, this may be due to the infection or due to a stomach acid issue. With a light Round of mirtazipine and 1/4 tab of Pepcid AC every other day, I have her almost at 100% of her normal food intake. She is extremely hard to pill and I am going to be out of town for two weeks. This led my vet to suggest a covenia injection. She is scheduled to have it in a couple of days. In the meantime, I have been doing some Internet research (probably a bad idea) and now I am terrified. I am not sure what my other options are considering I will not be here to give ER daily medication and I know my cat sitter will not be able to pill her.

Does anyone have any experience with this drug or advice?
Old June 24th, 2013, 04:25 PM
Senior Contributor

I have had no experience with this drug myself, but have read some very scary things about it from journals that I trust. I would be very careful about it. I gather it is the long term effect that is beneficial, but also dangerous because it can't be reversed (if memory serves me correct). Trust your gut. Read more than one source so you make sure you are getting more than one opinion. Good luck to you.
Old June 24th, 2013, 05:30 PM
Willing cat servant

I've had experience with it twice. Like any medication Convenia has a chance to have side effects the problem with this particular drug is that if that was the case and your cat presents adverse effects Convenia remains in the organism for about 2 weeks which can be terrible if that was the case.
Now in regard of my 2 separate experiences (with two different cats) there were no side effects in any case and the medication acted efficiently. You just have to consider the risks and balance them out.
On a side note the first time I didn't know about it and the second time I wasn't at the vet's clinic. If it makes you really uneasy you can always opt for a more traditional day by day treatment. Some vets will administer shots too the problem is you have to take your cat there everyday and although I've been fortunate enough to know vets that will do it for no extra charge that is not always the case. I rather injections because pills are so hard to administer and also hard on the stomach but they have to be done by someone who knows what they're doing.

Last edited by Koteburo; June 25th, 2013 at 03:56 AM.

Tags
covenia