Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 15th, 2011, 11:51 AM

Puppy Chew Toys - What do You Give Your Furbabies?

My 15 week old mixed breed loves to chew. I have bought her lots of toys but she destroys most of them. What do you all give your puppies? Looking for tough toys or edible chewies that are tough and will last more than five minutes.
Old July 15th, 2011, 12:09 PM
Senior Contributor

a kong, or any chew toys by kong are quite strong
Old July 15th, 2011, 12:52 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

A bully stick...better than rawhide! A bit expensive but if you buy the really long ones, and have a hacksaw, you can cut them into smaller puppy size lengths. Also yup anything by Kong. They have all sorts of different toys now!
Old July 15th, 2011, 01:04 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

2 great dog toy companies with DURABLE breed specific products are Kong and Nylabone. Good luck!
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old July 15th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Chum Mum

Another good choice are CUZ rubber balls ... and dogtoys.com makes a line of extremely durable washable fabric toys that are as they claim "pitbull proof" I have a fabric shark that has stood up to more than a year of ruff and rugged play. I find both at petsmart here in Calgary.
R.I.P. Boog,Pootie, Bud & Tarkha
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I look into your soft brown eyes,
Where love and loyal homage shine,
And wonder where the difference lies
Between your soul and mine!
Old July 15th, 2011, 06:59 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Just remember to supervise your pup carefully when she has a new toy. Our guys have been known to chew through Cuz toys and even work chunks off the black Kongs. You may find that some toys work better for your dog than others.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 15th, 2011, 08:35 PM

Where do you find bully sticks? Our Petsmart doesn't carry them.
Old July 15th, 2011, 09:18 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

If you have a Global or Pet Valu, they usually carry them. Bayley chewed the feet off her Cuz's.
Old July 16th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Live well, laugh often

I have a super duper destructo chewer. He kills the cuz toys in about 10 - 15 minutes. This company http://www.westpawdesign.com/ makes amazing toys. My guy loves the Bumi and the Hurley. They are made of non-toxic rubber and made in the USA. I also love anything that is made by Planet Dog they have held up very well for my dog.

For actual chew items I would stick with Nylabones and Kongs. Stuffing a kong full of yummy edibles is a great thing to occupy a puppy for quite a while. You can also stuff them and partially freeze to make it tougher. I give my dogs actual real bones (beef ribs, bison necks etc) but watch out for the really strong bones like leg bones etc as they can break teeth on a strong chewer.
Old July 17th, 2011, 11:30 AM

Scruffy really seemed to enjoy my kitchen furniture when he was in the chewing stage, but I don't recommend it!
Old July 17th, 2011, 12:46 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etown_Chick View Post
Scruffy really seemed to enjoy my kitchen furniture when he was in the chewing stage, but I don't recommend it!
Ya, we have a few pieces of furniture that were used the same way. Aggravating at first, but every mark tells a story and brings back memories...maybe not the fondest of memories but memories, nonetheless. And now we laugh about it. Silly s!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 17th, 2011, 08:04 PM
Senior Contributor

I sometimes go the opposite way and give something that is easily destroyed. Puppies are like some little kids I think, it's no fun if it doesn't break. I give cardboard boxes and watch to make sure bits are not swallowed. It makes a mess of wet, slobbery cardboard on my floor but they love it. One puppy loved to chew the bottoms out of soft plastic flower pots, then she put them on. It was so cute and she did not swallow any pieces.
Old July 17th, 2011, 08:11 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Our guys all loved working the end of a paper towel core loose and then 'unraveling' the whole tube till all they had was a slobbery slightly wrinkly strip... (No paper on it, just the cardboard tube.) They rarely shredded it, just unwound it. Great fun for them!

Old July 23rd, 2011, 03:46 PM
NOT a senior member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybubbles65 View Post
Where do you find bully sticks? Our Petsmart doesn't carry them.
If you are willing to buy bully sticks in bulk, this is a great site.
http://www.bullysticks.ca/Jumbo_c3.htm

I purchased 50 of the 12 inch long bullies, and it cost about $219.00 with shipping, which ends up to about 4 dollars and change for each jumbo sized bully. Similar bully sticks cost at least double in pet stores. I like these ones too because they are very low odor, and don't stain carpets.

I have five dogs though, so buying in bulk makes sense. I also found with bullies, is that it is more economical to actually give the dog a longer piece instead of cutting them down into smaller lengths. This is because when it gets chewed down, you are going to have to throw out the small piece to prevent choking...and if you give a longer bully you will only have to do this once.

If you go to the site, and get on their mailing list, you can receive discounts on their prices. I have a new Pit bull puppy, and she has to have something in her mouth at all times, and the bullies are a healthier choice than rawhide. Anyways, the bully sticks I buy from this site are by far better than any other I have bought!

My loyal menagerie... (all neutered, spayed, and gelded...and YOU aren't safe either!)

Ruben (Bullmastiff)
Emmy (Miniature Pinscher)
Petie (Miniature Pinscher)
Shadow (Miniature Pinscher)
Zoe (APBT)
Tito (Paint Gelding)
Francesca (Miniature Horse Filly)
Vincenzo (APHA gelding)

Lots of fishies......