Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old August 19th, 2004, 10:57 AM

He didnt get out !!!

Hooray !! He didnt get out of his metal crate today

Last night my husband was ready to throw in the towel as he felt that we had exhausted all means of trying to confine him without success.

I was planning on just letting him run free today and hope for the best , but i was talking to my sister last night and she suggested getting padlocks.

So we went out and purchased 7 padlocks placed around the perimeter of the cage ( as hes able to get out through the sides and the bottom ) , and this time he didnt get out !!

Bad thing is , is that he did manage to chew a spare couch that had been sitting beside the cage. Its been there from the begining but he never took an interest in it until today . We'll just move the couch out the way or throw it in the trash since it is pretty much ruined

Hubby also said that he was soaking wet ?? We are leaving him with some water ( not a lot ) so im not sure why he was so wet.

Anyways just thought i would let everyone know !!

The saga of houdini the dog is officially over ... for now
Old August 19th, 2004, 11:12 AM
Senior Contributor

Yeah that is great but he is probably anxious (hence the sweating) I would speak to a holistic vet and see if he could tell you the name of an herbal mixture that you put in there water that calms them down or there is also a drug I think you may have it already Colicalm(sp) but I used the herbal one with my last Mastiff who had severe separtation anxiety. I takes a while to work but I felt better about not putting unecessary drugs in his system. Eventually I weaned him off of it. Once he was very secure in the fact that I was not giving him away again ( he was in 6 homes before me)he really came around and felt safe. Keep up the good work it will pay off it takes time but worth it.
Old August 19th, 2004, 11:28 AM
banned user

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

I haven't commented before because I didn't have anything of value to add, but I've been following your thread very closely. I'm so happy for you!

Mastifflover, what are the ingredients in the herbal alternative? We don't have a holistic vet here, but I might be able to get the ingredients.
Old August 19th, 2004, 11:38 AM
Senior Contributor

My Missy is claustrophic and can't be locked in a room or a crate. She will gladly go into an open crate to chew a bone or take a nap, but the minute the door shuts she goes crazy. Licking, chewing, drooling. She will get herself so worked up that she vomits. If she inadvertantly gets locked in a room by herself the damage increases. Carpets get ruined and doors get scratched up.

Thank goodness she doesn't seem to have much seperation anxiety. That may change this fall, what with me working and the kids in school all day. For the last year there has always been someone home all day with her. We shall see what happens.
Old August 19th, 2004, 11:53 AM

DId i mention how happy i am that i dont have to clean up urine or poop when i get home ? WOOHOO !

We are still giving him his medication in the mornings but ill look into a herbal remedy as well , thanks for the suggestion .

and thanks for the kind words
Old August 19th, 2004, 12:27 PM
Senior Contributor

I will try and find the names of the herbs or the name of the mixture it came pre-mixed. It took a couple of weeks to really start to show signs of working but I prefer that to drugging them.
Old August 19th, 2004, 12:37 PM
banned user

Thank you, Mastifflover. Feel free to pm me or email: desertsoul@cptnet.com

I sure appreciate it!
Old August 19th, 2004, 06:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Thats great! Keep up all the good work, It'll work out for you!
Old August 19th, 2004, 07:16 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Best of luck maybe he'll graduate outta the crate soon
Old August 19th, 2004, 07:46 PM

Well, I have a similar houdini story.

My Bob's bestest buddy is a bit of a nut. She's a very sweet, quiet little unassuming pooch. But she freaks when she's left alone. I was babysitting her for a few months quite a while ago. That's when I decided to get my own pooch because it was so great. Anyhoo, she got out of her kennel by pushing and pushing and eventually squeezed through a hole a cat would have trouble getting through. Then she got herself stuck in the bedroom somehow by knocking the door closed. Well, there was about 8 inches of door missing by the time we got home. She was only alone for about an hour by herself.

Now yesterday is the real story. My friends have tried everything. Herbal, non herbal drugs all sorts of things. She's an escape artist and destroyed their apartment the last time she broke out of her cage. And it's a Verikennel which is supposed to be really good.

So, I got off work early yesterday and was hanging out with Bob my dog. I decided to take a walk, and opened the door. There's his little buddy standing there with a big smile on her face and her tail wagging away like crazy. I looked about and no Mom and Dad to be found. I yelled for them and they weren't around. I called them and no answer. I thought something horrible might have happened to I grabbed one of Bob's many collars and leashes and took them both over to my friends place. Nope, not there.

I walked to a store nearby where some of our friends work. Nope, they hadn't seen the dogs owners all day! They jumped when I told them that the little pooch was running loose. They said that customers had been coming in saying a little black dog was running all over Main St. which was really really busy at the time, but didn't know it was Shadow! She could have been killed!

Anyhoo, I head back to my friends place and run into them along the way. They look at me and said "What the hell are you doing with our dog?" I told them that she showed up on my door about half an hour ago! They didn't know what to think. We got into their house and found out that she'd managed, yet again, to squeeze out through the door. Despite the 4 bungie cords and hooks put in the door to stop her. Then she JUMPED OUT A WINDOW that was left open to give the room some airflow!

I guess she ran about the streets for a while and eventually said to herself, "I'll just head over to Bill & Bob's" and see what's going on.

What a nut. I have to say that I was quite touched that she thought of my place as being a very safe place to come to when she was scared.

Boy was her Mom pissed though. More just scared angry kind of upset though.

Now I guess they are putting her back on the dope again. I hate that because she ends up walking about like a zombie she's so stoned. But, they have done absolutely everything they can to protect her from herself.

I suggested her Dad and I take a welding class and make her a cage that there's no way she could get out of. But then I think that if she's that anxious to get out of the cage, that's the real issue. Not whether or not she does get out.