Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old July 18th, 2005, 10:08 PM

Food quality, is this one any good???

This is about Ocean (Lab/Newf, 1 year old). She has been suffering from hotspots and food was one of the things discussed. So here is what she has been on for the past 4 months (please see attached picture). The cost is $22.50 for a 8kg bag. The small bags are about $12.00 and the super big ones are about $40.00. I noticed that the price is only slightly lower than the nutrence brands and the like. Any one have any thoughts on the Purina One stuff??? I saw it while I was there and I wondered about it. But I have had bad experienced with Purina products in the past.

Also I bought this spray stuff called
'Tar-ific Therapeutic Spray" it says

"As an aid in the treatment of localized skin conditions such as acute moist hermatitis ("HOTSPOTS") or dry seborrhea lesions of the skin. Also helps in the removal of crusts, scales and odor associated with the seborrhea complex. Aids in the symptomatic relief skin inflammation and pruritis (itchiness) caused by flea bites."

Has any one heard about or used it??? Before I go spraying her with it, is it any good. Any insight would be great.

If this post is in the wrong spot, I'm sorry.

But thanks for all the help with all this. Ocean is my baby and whatever she needs, I get.
Attached Images

Old July 18th, 2005, 10:18 PM

If your budget allows, I would go with something better. No by-products, no corn, no brewer's rice.

These are my favorites:
Solid Gold
Merrick
Wellness (Old Mother Hubbard)
Timberwolf Organics
Just take a look at their ingredients and compare. Which one would you eat?

My doggies get Solid Gold Wolf King. They have been on it for a few months now and they still wake us up in the morning to eat. They are shinier than ever, healthier than ever, and have more energy than before.

Choosing food is hard, but once you figure it all out, it's hard to go back to the food made by the huge companies, like Purina, Eukanuba/Iams, etc.
Old July 18th, 2005, 10:19 PM

Oh- for the spray, have you asked the vet? I'm not too experienced with hot spots, but you don't want to make them worse by accident.
Old July 18th, 2005, 10:23 PM
Ontario Dog Lover

It is not a food I would use.
Second ingredient ‘poultry by product meal’ – yech, poulty – hmm which one? By-product – that means we are not necessarily talking meat here.
4th ingredient is corn – that’s a cheap source of not easily digested protein.
And beet pulp is a little ways down, if beet pulp is used for fibre it should have the sugar removed.

Here is a good site to read and learn about what is in your dog food:

dog foods

this is pretty good too
choosing the right dog food
many fish
Old July 18th, 2005, 10:25 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm with Prin on this one. No meat by-products, no corn, no soy and no brewers rice.

The better foods may cost a bit more, but since the dog utilizes more of the ingredients, they poop less!
Old July 18th, 2005, 10:27 PM

They eat a lot less too. And the vet bills go down too.
Old July 18th, 2005, 10:28 PM

It looks like the only one I can buy in my area is the wellness.

Should I do it gradually, mixing it with the stuff she has been on for the past 4 months?? Or should I just change it??

OK, I just found the Ryan's site and they have the Solid Gold listed. I guess I will be on the phone tomorrow trying to find out who carries what.

Last edited by her122; July 18th, 2005 at 10:32 PM.
Old July 18th, 2005, 10:30 PM

VERY gradually. It's hard on the stomach to go from a food with a lot of chemicals to aid digestion, to a more dense food with less aids.
Old July 18th, 2005, 11:33 PM
Fish Guru - Formerly sneakypete79

Hi,
This is the food I feed to my dog and 2 cats.
It is very high quality without the high price.

http://www.firstmate.com/platinum/holisticnew.htm
Old July 19th, 2005, 06:05 AM
Owned by goldens

Hot spots and food

This is not a food I would feed either. You will find if you look into any of the foods Prin mentioned that the cost is more but you will feed less. My goldens eat Solid Gold, Wolf King and are doing fabulous on this food.
My friend has a lab with all kinds of allergies. Her fur was in terrible condition, dry, dandruff etc.. I suggested that they feed her Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance, Duck and Potato food. This is an allergy food. Her fur is now glistening and there is no dandruff. She still is suffering from seasonal allergies but at least her food allergy is under control.

Does your dog swim?
Old July 19th, 2005, 07:42 AM
Rottie owner and lover

Hey there, I am switching over too for hot spots. we switched over to a product called natural balance. OMG the ingredients are amazing. NO CORN. first 3 ingredients are lamb meal, chicken meal and duck it is quite costly, at 59.99$ for a 33lbs, but I only feed 1 of my dogs 2 cups instead of 3 1/2, and the puppy eats 4 cups instead of 6 with royal canine. Poops only 1 time a day with this food. AMAZING
Old July 19th, 2005, 07:54 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottielover
Hey there, I am switching over too for hot spots. we switched over to a product called natural balance. OMG the ingredients are amazing. NO CORN. first 3 ingredients are lamb meal, chicken meal and duck it is quite costly, at 59.99$ for a 33lbs, but I only feed 1 of my dogs 2 cups instead of 3 1/2, and the puppy eats 4 cups instead of 6 with royal canine. Poops only 1 time a day with this food. AMAZING
Actually, if you check your packaging, I'm pretty sure that this is also made by Royal Canine.
Old July 19th, 2005, 08:15 AM
Rottie owner and lover

Nope it's actually not
You might be thinking of the holistic food by royal canine
This one is Dick van patten's. A pretty small company, but yes they do make duck formula's venison, and fish. mine are now on the reg one with the 3 proteins. AWESOME food, LOve it
Old July 19th, 2005, 08:18 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Lol yeppers, I did get them confused.
Old July 19th, 2005, 08:27 AM
Rottie owner and lover

Harley was on royal canine, then switched to this food. Let me tell you I will never go back. WOW an improvement in everything from his stools, to his coat. Hot spots are clearing up too.
Old July 19th, 2005, 08:29 AM
Owned by goldens

dog food

Nutri Cal and Royal Canin have just merged or been bought over but are now one in the same food. I think Nutri Cal purchased Royal Canin but I am not certain.

The actor Dick Van Patten (from Eight is enough television show) started this company called Natural Balance. The ingredients in his foods are very impressive and high quality. They have a duck and potato recipe for dogs will allergies.

When I was researching dog foods and switching my dogs it was my second choice. I decided to go with Solid Gold, Wolf King because it was easier to find in stores.
Old July 19th, 2005, 08:34 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

I had no idea that the actor and the food guy were the same. That's neat.
Old July 19th, 2005, 08:43 AM
Rottie owner and lover

me either....learn something new each day.....There is only 2 stores in the west island that sell natural balance. which are both stores I shop at, and love
Old July 19th, 2005, 09:08 AM
Owned by goldens

Dog food

I live on the south shore and cannot find Natural Balance. One store has a few bags but not a good selection. This store also carried Solid Gold but the guy told me he was no longer going to carry it because he couldn't sell it. The last time I was there he tried to sell me some old stuff that had expired in September. If I want I can order it through a pet shop but I am not that organized to know a week in advance. I like to be able to walk in and buy it off the shelf. I have found a supplier in the Burlington Vermont area and I buy two or three bags at a time. I know of Woofers on the WEst Island. What is the other store?
Old July 19th, 2005, 10:27 AM
Rottie owner and lover

on the corner of st jean and pierrefonds blvd ( old kramer) opened a holistic pet store...........................maitre i do not remember the full name. The staff is awesome, and they sell everything from inova to solid gold wolf king. to natural balance. And many other things to. Give it a try and tell them Harley( the rottweiler says hi) LOL, they know him well when he was sick
Old July 19th, 2005, 10:32 AM
Crazy About Chow Chows

I use Solid Gold Wolf King. It's GREAT for your dogs- probably good for you too, but it's DOG food.

It has no corn, soy, byproducts, whatever. It's real food.

Surria (Clos de Lion's Spirit of Fire), 1 yr old Chow Chow (female)

Tigra, 2 yr old Pomeranian (female)

Kiki (Angelspur's Icy Dream) 1 yr old Persian (female)
Old July 19th, 2005, 12:00 PM
Senior Contributor

My Eskimo is doing very well on Fromm's Four Star (no corn - Eskies are sensitive to it).
Old July 20th, 2005, 12:12 AM

Could the store you all are talking about be called "Le Reveil du Maitre"? There is one on boul St-Laurent and apparently they have everything. I have to go one day to see if it's true.