Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 11th, 2005, 11:26 AM

pet euthanasia

When it comes that terrible time to have a faithful friend put to sleep, please be sure to ask about the method used by your vet prior to the procedure. My grandmother had her dog put to sleep and the vet used an injection in the neck which paralyzed the dog, and from what my grandma described, it was very unpleasant. I've been told that this is also the procedure used by animal control centres because it it cheap. I recently had to have my own dog put to sleep and I discussed the procedure with my vet, who used an injection in the vein that he ASSURED me was painless - the same thing they give to animals to put them to sleep for surgery. It was very quick, only took 2-3 seconds. He also explained the other procedure (that my grandma's dog received) and it is not very humane and takes much longer to work. Please ask your vet about this beforehand for the sake of your pet!
Old May 11th, 2005, 11:31 AM

WOW, THANKS FOR SHARING THIS.... I did not know about this and being the owner of a senior dog I know my day is only a short time away :sad:
Thanks again for sharing.

Maureen
Old May 11th, 2005, 11:36 AM

Usually, it's one shot anywhere to put the dog to sleep and another in the heart to stop its beating.
Old May 11th, 2005, 11:53 AM
Senior Contributor

Every animal I"ve had euthanized was first given an injection of a sedative, and then the lethal injection in the front leg. It's very peaceful and painless.

The only time a heart injection is given, to my knowledge, is with tiny animals like rats who cannot be injected in a vein.
Old May 11th, 2005, 12:10 PM

When I worked at a vet clinic, euthanasia was performed just as LuckyRescue said. The only time an injection was given directly into the heart was when a dog or cat had very swollen limbs and a vein could not be found easily.
Old May 11th, 2005, 12:15 PM

Really? I was told it was done in the heart because it's faster...
Old May 11th, 2005, 12:18 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin
Usually, it's one shot anywhere to put the dog to sleep and another in the heart to stop its beating.
When I had my cat put down, that's what they did. (in the front leg).

Maybe that's why when I called another vet, she asked if I would be staying with my cat , and when I said yes, she told me the euthanasia would cost an extra $50.00 if I stayed!!

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old May 11th, 2005, 12:18 PM
Senior Contributor

It's very fast the way I described. The injection is just a massive overdose of anesthetic (right, Beaglemom?) and works very quickly.

Using the heartstick would be a last resort.

Quote:
she told me the euthanasia would cost an extra $50.00 if I stayed!!
Something VERY VERY wrong there. I hope you stayed.
Old May 11th, 2005, 12:24 PM
Senior Contributor

It depends on where it is done.In Ontario in pounds they do various methods,gassing,electrocuting and shooting are legal. I don't think it is legal to stick it in the heart,(it's legal in the abdomen) but I imagine they do it.
Old May 11th, 2005, 12:48 PM
banned user

I stayed with Kaiger while he was euthanized, it did not cost me any more money but my bill was over 600.00 at that time not including his cremation. My Vet used an injection in the front leg it was fast and pain free for him. I did ask to make sure, it was very painful on me but I would never leave him alone. I have never heard until reading this thread about any other way to euthanize then in the leg.
Old May 11th, 2005, 12:52 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRescue
It's very fast the way I described. The injection is just a massive overdose of anesthetic (right, Beaglemom?) and works very quickly.

Using the heartstick would be a last resort.

Something VERY VERY wrong there. I hope you stayed.
No I didn't (I actually shouted that why the extra cost?? what do you do If I'm not there, hit her over the head with a hammer, so it doesn't cost anything!!) and waited for my regular to open!! I took her there and yes I stayed with her (I would never let any of my pets die alone).

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

Old May 11th, 2005, 12:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycats
No I didn't (I actually shouted that why the extra cost?? what do you do If I'm not there, hit her over the head with a hammer, so it doesn't cost anything!!) and waited for my regular to open!! I took her there and yes I stayed with her (I would never let any of my pets die alone).
Happycats that is awful! Something very weird that they would charge more if you stayed in there. Makes me wonder what would have happened. You are a great person for staying with your baby!

Proud mommy to...
Meat Loaf (Brittany Spaniel) 13 months
CryBaby (5 years old)living with grandpa now
Chino (Doberman mix) 7 months old
2 new kittens (8 weeks old) Felix and Gizmo
Old May 11th, 2005, 01:07 PM

From what I understand it is like an overdose of anesthetic. I have also been told that there is a different cost for staying with your pet. I think that is because of the two injections. If you are not there with the pet, it is only one injection in the vein of the front leg, I believe. Either way is still a quick and painless death.

The injection into the heart is not often done in front of the owner. For obvious reasons, it is too hard to witness. Although you can stay if you want to, the vets do not kick you out, owners usually opt out. I know of a dog that had to be put done this way because her little legs had swelled up and her veins couldn't be found easily. The vet thought it would be better giving her the injection directly into the heart than have her go through the trauma of them trying to find a good vein. She did die peacefully and painlessly.
Old May 11th, 2005, 01:53 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaglemom
The injection into the heart is not often done in front of the owner. For obvious reasons, it is too hard to witness. Although you can stay if you want to, the vets do not kick you out, owners usually opt out. I know of a dog that had to be put done this way because her little legs had swelled up and her veins couldn't be found easily. The vet thought it would be better giving her the injection directly into the heart than have her go through the trauma of them trying to find a good vein. She did die peacefully and painlessly.
Couldn't they use eather (sp) that does not require and injection (they breathe it in) to knock them out first !!

Old May 11th, 2005, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycats
Couldn't they use eather (sp) that does not require and injection (they breathe it in) to knock them out first !!
I haven't worked in a vet clinic in a while so I'm not sure why they don't do that. I would think that knocking them out first and then giving the lethal infection into the heart, if that is what is required, would be more humane. Normally though the injection is given into the vein of the front leg. Much more humane that way and painless to the animal.
Old May 11th, 2005, 02:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
No, that is rather stressful on the animal and it must be restrained, much worse than a little needle in the leg while the owner holds it.

Quote:
It depends on where it is done.In Ontario in pounds they do various methods,gassing,electrocuting and shooting are legal. I don't think it is legal to stick it in the heart,(it's legal in the abdomen) but I imagine they do it.
Of course, we are talking about mercy killing (euthanasia) to end suffering and all the pets I've had euthanized were either so old or so ill they were very weak and went very rapidly.

What the pounds and shelters do (and owners who want pets gone for various stupid reasons) is killing, and not euthanization.

Killing a healthy young animal is a whole different story.
Old May 11th, 2005, 02:56 PM

When we had to have our 20yo cat pts last year, we called our vet first thing in the morning and made an appointment. We were asked if we were going to stay with her or not and of course we did stay with her ... never any mention of cost difference. We have been dealing with the same vet for many years and new that Alex would be well treated in the end. They brought us into one of the regular exam rooms, took Alex to the back to give her a sedative and insert an IV into a vein in her front leg. She was returned to us so that we could hold her while the sedative took effect. The vet then returned and asked if we were ready to let her go ... she then inserted a needle into the IV in the front leg. As soon as the injection was done the vet listened for a heartbeat and told us that Alex was gone . We were told we could stay in the room with her for as long as we needed and not to rush our final goodbye. The next week we received what we thought was the bill from the vet .... it was actually a condolence card :love: We didn't actually receive the bill until a few weeks after that.
Old May 11th, 2005, 03:29 PM

This thread really struck a chord...have tears in my eyes just writing! you poor things that have experienced controversy in this subject, when also at the time it is devastating, heartbreaking and you cannot even drive home afterward without breaking down in tears. I am mortified to think that you have been told an extra charge applies if you stay with your pet as they drift away... immediately i am thinking this is very dodgy practice.
In January I had to have my 15 year old beloved cat cassie put to sleep, and the vets were amazing. First of all, they put her into a special anaethetising box, which is filled with ether, an anaesthetic, just to make the pet relax and sleep, and not put up a struggle, then they gently lifted her out, and put the euthanasia injection into her front leg. It was a very gentle way, of having to fulfil this dreaded task... it was a peaceful way.
Whilst i can see how the injection into the heart would quickly work, it would not be pleasant for a loved one to watch...rather unpleasant and traumatic...and whats the hurry!!!(when the stuff is working quickly anyway through the front leg)! I tend to think that this very sensitive time requires a vet with the uptmost compassion, gentleness, and patience, someone who realises the enormity of what they are about to do, when the pet you are holding in your arms is like a child that you have loved since you first were blessed with them, and having to decide to put them to sleep is one of the biggest and most painful decisions of your life.

Last edited by BEAR_NZ; May 11th, 2005 at 03:36 PM.
Old May 11th, 2005, 04:02 PM
Living in Chaos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita
...... We were asked if we were going to stay with her or not and of course we did stay with her ... never any mention of cost difference. We have been dealing with the same vet for many years and new that Alex would be well treated in the end. They brought us into one of the regular exam rooms, took Alex to the back to give her a sedative and insert an IV into a vein in her front leg. She was returned to us so that we could hold her while the sedative took effect. The vet then returned and asked if we were ready to let her go ... she then inserted a needle into the IV in the front leg. As soon as the injection was done the vet listened for a heartbeat and told us that Alex was gone . We were told we could stay in the room with her for as long as we needed and not to rush our final goodbye. The next week we received what we thought was the bill from the vet .... it was actually a condolence card :love: We didn't actually receive the bill until a few weeks after that.
That is exactly how our experience was when we had to put our poor 14 year old Sibe to sleep. The only difference was, we paid the bill at the time. The vet and the staff were absolutely wonderful to us.

liSa - Animal slave 09/27/1972
Alicia - Orange Tabby 06/01/1999 to 10/22/2004
Sam - Lab/Hound 01/03/2001 to 06/14/2014
Josie - Orange Tabby 2003
Mr. Slithers - Red-tailed boa constrictor 02/2007
Zeus - Bearded dragon 06/04/2007
Ariel and Lola - Bearded dragons 06/13/2007
Harley - MinPin 01/26/2008

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal
Old May 11th, 2005, 04:29 PM
Senior Contributor

When my dog died, my vet sent be a bouquet of flowers and a condolence card. (Even the place where I got Chaos cremated, sent me a condolence card) Chaos went very quickly, she got a needle in her front leg. I think my vet cried as much as we did.
Old May 11th, 2005, 04:38 PM
Senior Contributor

With all my cats,there was never a question whether I would stay or not,I held my cats and had their little heads in my hands until they took their last breath and brought their little bodies home,to be buried in the backyard they loved to be in.
After the needle in their leg,it was only a question of seconds before their heart stopped,quick and painless,at least to my sweet cats,less so for me :sad:
Old January 1st, 2009, 04:45 PM

Unhappy I'm crying just reading these replies! I do, however, need help.

First of all, I'm so sorry for each and every loss. I can feel and understand your pain at losing your babies.

My little Misha spent the first 6+ years of her life in a horrible puppy mill. When she got too sick to breed, they literally kicked her to the curb where she was found. She was such a horrible mess when we first saw her on the Toronto Humane Society website and she looked terrified. My son and I took one look at her and my son said, "We have to go and get her, Mom." I was determined to fill her life up with as much love as she could soak in, coupled with great nutrition which had been so lacking all of her sad life.

Misha will turn 12 in March (a date we picked out because my son and I, plus our dog, Pooki, are all born in the first week of March) and she has thrived, despite a chronic chest and sinus infection (I treat it with Children's decongestant). She was partly blind when we got her but now she is completely blind but she gets around just fine, even when we move the furniture!

I am at a crossroads at the moment because she either needs to have the remainder of her teeth removed, which will probably help her sinuses and chest, or have her euthanized. This little girl is my ultimate baby and has crawled so deep in my heart that I can't imagine life without her. I realize I am being selfish but it would just kill me to do the same thing to her. I need some advice from people who maybe have been in my place.

By the way, I have become disabled since I got Misha and the cost of any procedure is very difficult for me. In a way, I want her to just live out her life after having her teeth removed. I just hope and pray she lives through the dental surgery. Of course, asking a vet about dental surgery is useless because they leave the decision up to me. They can't tell me if she will survive the dental surgery.

I realize this is a long message but if you can help me, I will be forever grateful.

Misha's Mom
Sandi

East York, Toronto
Old January 1st, 2009, 07:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MishaBoo View Post
By the way, I have become disabled since I got Misha and the cost of any procedure is very difficult for me. In a way, I want her to just live out her life after having her teeth removed.
Hi MishaBoo, and welcome to pets.ca! Bless you for taking in Misha and giving her such a loving home. As far as affording the dental surgery, perhaps this link will help: http://www.farleyfoundation.org/pet_..._criteria.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by MishaBoo View Post
I just hope and pray she lives through the dental surgery. Of course, asking a vet about dental surgery is useless because they leave the decision up to me. They can't tell me if she will survive the dental surgery.
How is her health otherwise? Any recent blood work and urinalysis? Maybe even an ECG and x-ray of her heart to make sure there aren't any issues there. With proper monitoring while under anesthesia, the risk isn't necessarily any greater for an older animal, provided there aren't any complicating medical conditions.

What do the vets say is the relationship between her teeth and the chronic sinus infection?

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old January 1st, 2009, 10:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Rescue View Post
Every animal I"ve had euthanized was first given an injection of a sedative, and then the lethal injection in the front leg. It's very peaceful and painless.
That is the way they put our dogs to sleep too. A sedative first.

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old March 21st, 2009, 12:40 PM

Little Toot

My Little Toot is an 8 year old long silky hair cat. I found her and her brother Elvis in my back yard 8 years ago. Elvis was and still is 4 times Toot size. They say a cat has 9 lives; Toot had already gone through 7 of them when we found her. She was so small she fit in the palm of my hand, very week and cold, could not hold her head up. Elvis was a very healthy big kitten about 6 weeks old. I put Toot in a cat carrier with a heating pad on low and blankets, gave her eye droppers of water and kitten formula, in 2 days she had 100% turn around. She went to work with me every day for months, so I could make sure she ate and drank her kitten formula. She stayed in my work area in a chair on my sweater. She survived, she was fighter until now

I found this site in search of a way to put her to sleep. She is dying and I cannot save her and I cannot afford the vet charge of $85.00. I took her to the vet 3 weeks ago. I had an emergency fund for my cat care emergencies of $350. This vet, instead of giving me "what he would do if it were his loving cat" told me what he thought it could be and what tests needed to be done to find out what was wrong. As Toot is not my only cat and not knowing what is wrong, I was told it could be cat aids or cat whatever that "could" be contagious. He did a radiograph thorax, cat scan and blood test. The cat scan showed a lot of fluid in her chest and after the blood work came back the next day, he would be able to diagnose her problem. The vet collected $425.00, sent me home with Toot. The next day her lab work showed everything normal, she was a little anemic but that could be from her being so sick. He wanted her back to remove the fluid from her chest. I asked if the fluid build up could be from a bad heart and of course that was a good possibility. The est. cost to draw the excess fluid was $160.00. I took her back the next day for this procedure. They call later that she was ready of be picked up. The $160.00 turned out to be $342.00 which included lassie and another medicine.

She has been in a slow downward spiral ever since. She has been going to work with me everyday, I have been hand feeding her chicken for 2 weeks 4 to 5 times a day but 2 days ago she would not take a bite. She only drank water. I call the vet for help, I am out of money, my next payday is 5 days off - $85.00 is a good part of my cat food budget for a month - all I want for my baby Toot is for her to go to her final sleep, but she is still fighting. There has to be something out there to help me put her into a deep final sleep - stop her slow death. She is so weak, each breath is laboured. The last 14 hours I thought each one was her last - my poor baby Toot, you do not deserve this pain, you only gave me your love, your kneading continuous purrs and affection - I love you - Elvis will miss you _ I'm sorry there is no help without money - oh please Little Toot stop fighting to live
Old March 21st, 2009, 02:29 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Im so sorry your going through this! its certainly tough! Could anyone lend you hand temprarily so that she does not need to suffer? just a thought.

I looked online and this came up...maybe you could check it out?

http://www.carecredit.com/

We are here for you during this difficult time.
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old March 21st, 2009, 03:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Catmama, you have my sympathy. There's nothing worse than feeling helpless in the face of a serious medical condition in our furry family members. Adding to Winston's suggestion, there are quite a few organizations in the States that provide veterinary financial aid to those in need. Here are some links that might help:
http://www.morrisanimalfoundation.or...ncial-support/
http://www.magdrl-nj.com/links.html#finance
http://www.uan.org/index.cfm?navid=163

All the best to you and Little Toot.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old March 21st, 2009, 03:46 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG,poor Catmama and little Toot,I hope she found the help she needs,she obviously loves her little Toot very much..
I cannot see any vet denying a cat a peaceful passing because of $85that is just pure animal-cruelty IMO.
Old March 25th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Senior Contributor

We were charged extra to stay with our pet when it was put to sleep. I asked our vet why and he said because a lot of clietns get so upset afterwards that they spend too much time in the operating room afterwards, so the room cannot be used. Something like that, I can't remember exactly. But because they only have one OR it stops that room from being used for a while. We just paid the extra. I think it was 50 or 60 dollars, I can't remember now. He just started doing that a few years ago. We also had him come out to the house to put one of our dogs down that didn't like going to the vets.

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old March 25th, 2009, 08:56 AM
Senior Contributor

Tundra Queen that is just robbery in my opinion. Some vets will use any excuse to make extra cash - they are like doctors running after an ambulance.

I have had the same vet for 25 years now. When I had made an appointment to have my rott PTS they actually asked for the money up front (before the procedure). These are the same vets that followed me and Ben through our journey with his cancer. They were always paid and I never had a running account with them....

I found it highly insensitive and since I have changed vets.