Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old July 20th, 2006, 04:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Need food recommendation

I have a rough collie (about 7.5 months old) who seems to have some digestion problems (vet is not much help on this), and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a food that might help.
When going outside to poo he has LOTS of trouble getting it out, he can squat there for 2 minutes and usually has to do a lot of walking around before he's done. He seems constipated, and it's not that he acts sick or anything otherwise (doesn't act like he has a tummy ache or is in pain or irritated), but when it comes to actually going potty he has trouble.
Also, he belches quite a bit, not just after eating (though it's worse), but ALL day.
So far he's been on Iams (was on that when we got him), then was switched to Dick Van Patten's (same problem with belching/constipation), and currently is eating Chicken Soup for the Puppy Lovers soul (only halfway decent food that I could get in town).
Well it looks like I'm back to ordering food off the net since I recently noticed that Chicken Soup is made by Diamond pet foods, which scares me even though it may not be made in the same plants as the normal line, so I figure I may as well get some advice on what kinda food might be best for his particular problems.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions
Old July 20th, 2006, 05:43 PM

Dog Food

Have you thought of trying Nutro Natural Choice with lamb?

I've been told by many people that lamb is one of the products that is best digested and seems to cause little or no problems with dogs' digestive systems.

I've been using that for quite a while and my dogs love it and I have never had any problems with them not digesting it properly.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Jo

Mary Engelbreit
Old July 20th, 2006, 05:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by koalat
Have you thought of trying Nutro Natural Choice with lamb?

NOOOOO Don't do it!!!!!!!! Stick with holistic. Try a fish based meal: Wellness Whitefish and Sweet Potato, http://www.oldmotherhubbard.com/dogs...gSup5MixSwtPot
Solid Gold wolf cub/wolf king: http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/produ...wcat.php?cat=0
Or Wellness Simple Food Solutions:
http://www.oldmotherhubbard.com/dogs..._overview.html

Cheaper foods have stool hardeners, which may contribute (in a negative way) to this constipation issue.

Last edited by Puppyluv; July 20th, 2006 at 06:00 PM.
Old July 20th, 2006, 08:18 PM
Owned by goldens

food recommendation

I'm with Puppyluv here. Try a food like Wellness or Solid Gold Wolf King. The ingredients are holistic. Lamb is harder on the stomach than some other meats.
Old July 20th, 2006, 08:24 PM

Harley has to be on holistic foods due to allergies. I tried Solid Gold with terrific results, so if you can find that in town, by all means...go for it!!!
If not, Timberwolf Organics is a great food, and their shipping costs are radically cheaper than Solid Gold's.

Timberwolf has a terrific fish-based food (Ocean Blue), and Prin (our resident kibble guru) has often said she'd switch her furkids over to that food from Solid Gold (and she's a diehard advocate of SG) if she could get it at a good price. Prin's in Canada, so I think it is harder to get TO there.

Just another option!

Harley - 8 year old Beagle x Dobie
Jet - 10 month old Labrador Retriever
Old July 20th, 2006, 09:15 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Check on your hollistic food options and see which one's have wheat germ in them. This is a natural laxative so a food with it up the ingredients line would most likely be more beneficial for your dog.
Old July 21st, 2006, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGurl372
Timberwolf has a terrific fish-based food (Ocean Blue), and Prin (our resident kibble guru) has often said she'd switch her furkids over to that food from Solid Gold (and she's a diehard advocate of SG) if she could get it at a good price. Prin's in Canada, so I think it is harder to get TO there.
No, they still don't have it in Qc, which is why it isn't even an option for me yet. But if they did... I'd have decisions to make as my doggies would definitely not be allergic to the ingredients in Ocean Blue. But for now, they're on Solid Gold Wolf cub and loving it still and doing well on it...

I would definitely stick to holistic. The minute you drop down a level, you're back into stool hardeners (like beet pulp and a lot of tomato pumice) and those are the LAST things your dog needs right now.

He seems to need more of the faster fibers, like oatmeal...

If you want a puppy food, try the Wellness Super5Mix puppy or Solid Gold Wolf Cub.
Old July 21st, 2006, 10:34 AM
Senior Contributor

Buster's always had the runs on both Wellness and Eagle Pack...so maybe one of those foods would loosen him up....

I agree you should keep him on hollistic food...the last thing you need right now is stool hardeners!
Maybe give Solid Gold a try...Buster has a really sensitive tummy, and of all the hollistic foods we've tried, this one seems to be the one he's doing best on (he's also on Wolf King)

Good luck!

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old July 21st, 2006, 01:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks for all the responses!
I guess I'll try the Timberwolf since it looks about the best, plus if I'm not mistaken it looks like it has more protein than most of the others, which is good since he's been having trouble building up muscle.
He's not underweight or anything but it seems like he should have a little more muscle.Then again my other dog is a chow mix who's VERY muscular, so maybe my view is just a bit skewed, lol.
Old July 21st, 2006, 01:47 PM

As long as you can find it, by all means, go for it.