Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old July 15th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Garden nut

Another mystery flower & one pic for Hazel

Found this on the side of the neighbor's road. It's so pretty. I'm thinking I want it in the front flower beds. Will have to ask permission to dig up a clump. Anyone have a clue what it could be? Height is about 15 inches tall.

Hazel I found some ripe Dewberries finally. I think it was you that asked about the coloring when ripe. I ate a good handful today while walking in the woods with the girls. To me they taste like blackberries but these are a nice dark red when ripe. I found them juicy and not too tart, but lots of seeds. Would make great jelly if enough could be found.
Attached Images

Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper
Old July 15th, 2009, 08:43 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Downy gentian? Coincidentally, I was looking in a native prairie plant nursery catalogue and was thinking about ordering some downy gentian. What kind of soil is it growing in?

My guess is that although my soil is sandy and dries out quickly, I'll need the fringed variety, though--the lawn is covered with prairie loosestrife, which requires mesic to wet soils... There's a lot of persistent water up there in spring--I think we sit atop a sandstone bedrock and the water pools--which must be enough to keep the loosestrife happy. Weird situation...I might have trouble finding suitable plants.

I don't think our berries are dewberries--they end up more oblong and much darker, but they have lots of seeds, too, just like your dewberries. I suppose they might just be a different variety of dewberry

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 15th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Garden nut

Well after posting the pic I did some digging in search engines and I came up with a name of Clustered Bellflower (Campanula Glomerata).

I hope that's correct.

Yes I think there are tons in the genus Rubus. Nature is really neat!

Is Downy gentian the same type of stuff as the liquid Gentian violet in the pharmacy?
Old July 15th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Molly's mama

ooh those "bellflowers" are beautiful!! I am a sucker for purple blooms!
Old July 15th, 2009, 09:43 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Yep, I think you're right, Ceara--the leaves aren't opposite and appear to be rounded near the stem instead of lanceolate... It's a pity its not native...it's so pretty.

I think Gentian violet is named after the color of the plant, but not made from the plant...or from violets, either..

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 16th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Garden nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollywog View Post
ooh those "bellflowers" are beautiful!! I am a sucker for purple blooms!
Me too! That's why these caught my eye. From a distance they look like one giant flower. And I was thinking what is that?

I'm going to try and get seed from them to share.

I think it's a real winner of a flower.