Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Senior cats

Old October 11th, 2009, 03:57 PM

16-year-old cat in serious pain?

My 16-year-old cat, Pumpkin (who I got when he was 6 weeks old), began losing weight a few months ago. He went from a big, healthy cat, to scrawny and very boney. He still acted like himself, catching rodents, bunnies and birds (a squirrel not long ago, even). Then the other day he began vomiting every 30 minutes for 2 hours, would get up, move a couple feet and flop down on the floor. When anyone tried offering him food or water, he'd get up, walk away and flop down again. Not long after that, he started howling/crying, especially when he moved, or when we moved him. He urinated where he laid, and just laid in it. His breathing became fast and shallow, he was cold. He wouldn't move, but he tried stretching out. We tried warming him up with hot water bottles and towels. His crying/howling got louder and more frequent. He tried sleeping. He was drooling consistently. Any ideas what might have been wrong with him? We ended up having him euthanized, because he seemed to be in horrible pain. He was my first baby, and a major part of our family.

My daughter Grace, mom's cat Ty, and Pumpkin
Old October 11th, 2009, 04:02 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Did you ask the vet when you had him euthed? It could have been a lot of things, poor dear. :sad:

Pumpkin

You're pain free and running at the bridge now!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 11th, 2009, 04:14 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetgirl_214 View Post
My 16-year-old cat, Pumpkin (who I got when he was 6 weeks old), began losing weight a few months ago.
right then , when he started loosing weight , you didn't take him to your vet ???? you could have saved his life instead of letting him suffer for months !
Old October 11th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Kitty pimp

why didnt you get him to the vet when he started losing weight?
Old October 11th, 2009, 04:47 PM

I couldn't afford bringing him to the vet... between having a new baby, paying for my wedding... he lived at my mom's and that's why. Also, he was 16. He didn't act as if he was suffering those months he had lost the weight. I don't know, we thought it was normal, I guess? I didn't think to look here or anything...... no need in accusing me of letting him suffer. Geesh.
Old October 11th, 2009, 04:49 PM

Also, hazelrunpack, I asked, and she said it was most likely a heart or brain clot, but I thought I'd come here and see what others thought. Didn't realize I'd be accused of something like that!
Old October 11th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Kitty pimp

wellim sorry for your loss hopefully nexttime you willknow better that when a cat starts losing weight he needs a vet and wgen a cat is over 12 or so he needs a vet at least every year
Old October 11th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Does sound to me like a heart issue. Cats with congestive heart failure can have difficulty breathing and be extremely weak, and will often lose their appetite. They're also prone to getting something called a saddle thrombosis, which is when a blood clot lodges in the arteries to the hind legs. Very painful, and their hind legs will feel cold and stiff.

Pumpkin. You're in a better place now.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old October 11th, 2009, 05:50 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Pumpkin
You can now run free of pain at the bridge.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old October 11th, 2009, 05:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Sorry for your loss...

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old October 11th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Pumpkin You are now painfree.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old October 11th, 2009, 08:25 PM

Regarding the earlier weight loss there are many issues that will result in weight loss in older pets ie HyperThyroidism, heart disease, kidney or liver disease. It does sound like saddle thrombosis was the likely cause at the end.

sweet Pumpkin He is playing at the Rainbow Bridge with those who've gone before

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old October 11th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Senior Contributor

could of been cancer--- poor kitty run to the bridge, brenda and the pins..
Old October 11th, 2009, 08:42 PM
-

Quote:
Didn't realize I'd be accused of something like that!
What did you expect ? This is pure neglect , nobody took this cat to a vet , not even for an annual check up , nobody came here asking for advices , but now that the cat is dead , you ask what was wrong with him ? Don't you think this is "too little too late " ? I sure do.
Old October 11th, 2009, 09:40 PM

Thank you all very much for the help and words.

Frenchy, it was certainly NOT neglect. We had NO idea he had something wrong with him. This is the first time we've ever dealt with something like this. He went to yearly vet checkups and was diagnosed as fine every time. He didn't start losing weight until after his last appointment. He's had yearly appointments since the day I got him. So do NOT accuse me of neglecting my cat. And I didn't know this website existed. Sure it may be "too little too late", but I'm trying to get closure. And you're certainly not helping. Go eff yourself. I will definitely not be returning to this website.
Old October 11th, 2009, 09:45 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Quote:
Thank you all very much for the help and words.

Frenchy, it was certainly NOT neglect. We had NO idea he had something wrong with him. This is the first time we've ever dealt with something like this. He went to yearly vet checkups and was diagnosed as fine every time. He didn't start losing weight until after his last appointment. He's had yearly appointments since the day I got him. So do NOT accuse me of neglecting my cat. And I didn't know this website existed. Sure it may be "too little too late", but I'm trying to get closure. And you're certainly not helping. Go eff yourself. I will definitely not be returning to this website.
sweetgirl, i understand that you are grieving for your cat, that is a given. I think the problem people are having is. If your baby (human) started rapidly losing weight wouldn't you rush her/him to the doctor..as for telling a member here to go eff themselves. that is totally rude and uncalled for. Not one person so far has used foul language and i'm sure there are some that have been thinkng it. As for not returning, that is your choice, but don't condemn a fabulous, generous group of people because the truth hurt.
Old October 11th, 2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:
And I didn't know this website existed
you joined in 2004

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old October 11th, 2009, 09:46 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

FYI - in case you decide to get another cat sometime. Cats are masters at hiding pain. They have had to learn how to do that over the years in order to defend themselves. If you notice something like a cat losing weight or the third eyelid or blood in urine/feces or anything that is "off" then it's time to round up some extra cash and take the cat to the vet.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old October 11th, 2009, 09:50 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by growler View Post
you joined in 2004
i'm more intrigued with this..

Names and type of pet(s)
3 cats (Morris, Sylvester and Buddie) and 3 rabbits (Nibbles, Brown Bunny and Flower)

i don't see a kitty named pumpkin...
Old October 11th, 2009, 09:56 PM

Okay yes I have apparently been a member since 2004. I didn't realize that when I posted that I didn't know this forum existed. I was 17. That was 6 years ago. So I completely forgot.
As for the losing weight, yes I would bring my baby to the doctor. I never thought of it like that for my cat. Even though I think of him as family. I wish I'd known about them being able to hide pain before the fact. My mom has owned cats in the past and she was the one that said she didn't think about the weight loss as a major issue, considering his age. He was just acting completely normal, as I said previously. But again, I didn't know they could hide pain that way.
And as for the "eff yourself" comment, I'm not sorry for that. At all. I'm hurting, grieving, extremely upset, and these people are accusing me of neglecting my cat. I just didn't know better. But he was old. And I do realize we probably could have prolonged his life by having him checked out, but how much would it have costed, and how long would it have prolonged it for? We didn't have much money. Enough for a yearly checkup and food.
Old October 11th, 2009, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
i'm more intrigued with this..

Names and type of pet(s)
3 cats (Morris, Sylvester and Buddie) and 3 rabbits (Nibbles, Brown Bunny and Flower)

i don't see a kitty named pumpkin...
That's because I JUST updated it. It used to have my 3 cats including Pumpkin, 5 rabbits, a gerbil and a guinea pig.