Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old November 14th, 2006, 10:25 PM

puppy scam?

Hi everyone i think there is something fishy about an ad in the local paper about a french bulldog. It said it urgently needed a home, when I enquired it was in Nigeria (I am in Ontario) and that the dog would be shipped to my door for 600 bucks ... upon receiving payment in advance etc. I don't know but aren;t frenchies alot more, see I think Christmas is coming and perhaps is bringing out the scammers, everyone beware, if anyone else can enlighten me on this topic I would appreciate it. ! Thanks guys.
Old November 14th, 2006, 10:35 PM
Honest Contributor

OMG this is a total scam! run away screaming waving your arms in the air! no i'm serious... what will they think of next?

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old November 14th, 2006, 10:56 PM
cat slave

this isn't just about puppies. This whole "list in US and then say you're from Africa" scam goes for anything. This scam goes on eBay quite often especially with electronics.

"i'm in Nigeria and want to ship my nephew in UK a laptop, i will pay full shipping and i will give you my account number"
Old November 14th, 2006, 11:24 PM

yes I googled puppy scams and I am soo much more educated about how this is going on all over the place, so sad, its true what will people think of next. I emailed the editor of the newspaper and cut and pasted the response I received , I asked if they could maybe put a buyer beware ad close to these types of classifieds so people are not suckered in. I realize unfortunately people will always "buy into this stuff' but researching and education is our only defense. Its really unfortunate though eh.
Old November 15th, 2006, 12:22 AM
cat slave

what did the editor say? They should manually check ads for spam.

but seriously, if someone is gullible enough to get duped by those "i'm in Nigeria, send me money" ads, then they deserve it hehe
I wonder how many of those spam ads actually work.
Old November 15th, 2006, 09:37 AM

It's sad....... but I'm sure there are more people that we realize who get duped into these scams.
Old November 15th, 2006, 10:19 AM

Unfortunately a lot of seniors are caught up in these scams. If you have older parents who are not used to computers and the www, it might be a good idea to remind them that these scams are no different than the "salesman" who shows up at your door to sell you stuff you don't need and most of the time, stuff that doesn't exist. (speaking from experience...it has taken me two years to help my 80+ yr old mother-in-law get out of a door-to-door scam) :sad:
Old November 15th, 2006, 10:37 AM
Senior Contributor

the O.P.P internet team are aware of this scam which also includes other breeds of dogs and parrots, the ads were followed up by myself and many others and all correspondence was given over to the authorities as requested.
Old November 15th, 2006, 12:35 PM

Puppy Scam

There is a puppy scam going all over the US, and I guess Canada as well. I am a relay operator for the deaf, and for those of you who don't know what this is, I basically talk on the phone for deaf or hard of hearing people who can't do it themselves. We are unable to trace the calls we get because of privacy issues and because of the FCC, so lots of people will use these relay services to rip people off. They will connect to us pretending to be deaf and order things on stolen credit cards because we can't trace back where the caller was and in turn who the thief is. Right now, there are people calling around using ads in the paper for people selling puppies and asking the sellers to email them the information on the puppies. They are then able to hack into this person's email and maybe even computer, sellers beware! If you get a relay call and they are asking about puppies, do not send them an email. It's really sad because this service is free of charge because my company believes that deaf people should be able to communicate just as easily as hearing people, so they aren't charged for the service, but so many nasty scammers are abusing this service.

If you receive a call like this, don't just automatically shue it away because it may be legit and please don't yell at us operators, it's not our fault! We are just doing our job! You will be able to tell if the person is legit because they will not ask you to email them all of the information. The puppy scam isn't the only one going around, they are also asking for Spark Plugs, gold chain necklaces and smoke detectors. I just thought I would post about the puppies since this is a pet forum!
Old November 15th, 2006, 01:54 PM

Ugh, Nigeria scams! I get more e-mails from the "King of Nigeria" . . . BTW, Ed U, I wouldn't recommend buying from any breeder who advertises in the classifieds, they are generally NOT good breeders. They may be nice people, but not good breeders. If you need more information on how or where you can get a great puppy, just ask! We'd be happy to help you!