Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old June 5th, 2006, 06:20 PM

Handheld Ultra Sonic Trainer

Does anyone have a hand held ultra sonic remote trainer? As far as I can tell, it makes a very high pitch noise for a negative tone and a click type noise for a positive tone. There aren't any collars or anything else needed either.

Here's a link to one company's instruction manual http://www.petsafe.net/pdfs/400-174_screen.pdf

I'm trying to curb Charley's need to bark at a few (not all, only a few) of the neighbours and neighbourhood cats. He won't do it on leash, nor on a long lunge line. He usually won't come when called if he's madly barking so distracting him isn't working either. I had been using a dog whistle, but the effect of that seems to have worn off... So I'm thinking this might be worth a try but would like to know if anyone has had any good or bad experiences with it.
Old June 7th, 2006, 02:06 PM
Senior Contributor - Expert

There is a HUGE discussion in APDT right now about this very kind of remote training. We are not advocates of electronic collars, spray collars etc. but there are some people who are claiming its success.
I would guess that if the whistle has lost its value then the collar would eventually lose its value too.
I think you have to find a very experienced trainer with this method and work with them to gain the most benefit, understanding and skills.
Dog Training the Way Nature Intended
Old June 7th, 2006, 06:41 PM

[QUOTE=tenderfoot]I would guess that if the whistle has lost its value then the collar would eventually lose its value too. [QUOTE]

Its not a collar though, its something you hold in your hand. The booklet says it only has a range of 30 ft. This would be used exclusively to help me teach him not to bark like a crazy dog in the back yard. A few barks are fine, but there are two cats that he just won't stop barking at until they leave the area.

I think the thing with the whistle is that I didn't do the dummy equipment routine properly, so he knows that I'm causing the whistle to be blown, not his barking.