Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old December 4th, 2008, 05:45 PM

Terrible surprise - puppy advice needed! *pictures added*

Hi Guys,

About a month ago my mother got another dog, a little toy poodle from a horrible byb in the paper who was supposedly getting out of the business (I know... I ranted about this already, before and after the fact, and I'm fuming already because they should have known better, so please hold the criticism for a bit).

Molly is under-socialized, has obviously been used for breeding in the past even though she's only about 3 years old. She's poorly bred herself but not too bad, nothing much needed except for better nutrition, lots of love and confidence building.

BUT... this morning my mother woke up this morning to 2 puppies. Nobody knew Molly was pregnant.

She and the puppies went to the vet today. They're all ok and have been checked out.

What I want to know for Mom is what to do now:

1. What does Molly need, besides good food and lots of it, a safe place for her and the puppies, lots of water... what else?

2. What should she be watching for to make sure the puppies are ok? (They're feeding fine, and Molly seems to be taking care of them - she goes outside to do her business and then goes right back to the pups).

3. Mom was supposed to come up here for Christmas... the pups would then be 3 weeks old. Is it safe for them to come? Obviously they wouldn't leave the pups alone, but is it safe for them to bring them up here overnight? I don't mind giving them a quiet corner in a bedroom upstairs but can pups that young travel or should we cancel our plans?

Is there anything else that she needs to know now? I'm trying to get through her head how to make sure they get decent homes - contracts, etc, NOT just giving them to friends who have already shown that they're not responsible with the pets they have, and I'll be certainly asking for your help with all of that later but that's at least 10-12 weeks away. What else do we need to do right now? I'm not there, but I'll be relaying all of the information to her. With all the mistakes that have been made, they are really trying to do right by Molly and her pups now, I just want to make sure they're as safe and healthy as possible.

And yes... Molly is getting spayed as soon as the pups are weaned!

Thanks for your help... I know lots of you have experience with this and have lots of good information.

Last edited by Tommysmom; December 4th, 2008 at 07:55 PM.
Old December 4th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

I don't know anything about little pups, but want to thank you for helping look out for Molly and the puppies and for trying so hard to gather good information!!!

It honestly sounds to me like although the BYB may have made some financial gain by selling her to your mother, Molly will be much better off now!
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old December 4th, 2008, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase_Mom View Post

It honestly sounds to me like although the BYB may have made some financial gain by selling her to your mother, Molly will be much better off now!
I think so too... Molly is already incredibly bonded to my mom, and she gets along really well with their other dog. She seems very sweet, once she gets passed being so scared. I think she was just kept in a pen without much contact with people at all, poor little girl. Her breeding days are over, we just have to get them all through this and she can relax and be the little princess she should be!
Old December 4th, 2008, 06:14 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Awww, no advise. I am more a cat person. Just wanted to say for your mom and Molly! And I would have taken one of the pups in a heartbeat if my girl wasn't getting so old and cranky. Hubby just said no.
Just curious...... what colour?

to your mom for wanting to do the best she can for the pups and thank her for giving Molly a better life.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old December 4th, 2008, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Awww, no advise. I am more a cat person. Just wanted to say for your mom and Molly! And I would have taken one of the pups in a heartbeat if my girl wasn't getting so old and cranky. Hubby just said no.
Just curious...... what colour?

to your mom for wanting to do the best she can for the pups and thank her for giving Molly a better life.
Molly is sort of off-white, like a light tan... so far the pups look the same but with a bit of white mixed in. I've got pictures she sent me, but I have to download and re-size them, I'll try to get them up tonight - they look like little guinea pigs or something, they're so cute! I've never seen pups so young before!
Old December 4th, 2008, 06:18 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Aww, so sweet. My Keesha is a silver toy. She is 14 which is why hubby is saying no to a pup right now. :sad: Can't blame him. I really don't have the time at time to look after a pup. But please post pics so we can ohh and awwww over them. Thank you!!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old December 4th, 2008, 07:30 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommysmom View Post
Molly is sort of off-white, like a light tan... so far the pups look the same but with a bit of white mixed in. I've got pictures she sent me, but I have to download and re-size them, I'll try to get them up tonight - they look like little guinea pigs or something, they're so cute! I've never seen pups so young before!
The color you describe sounds like cafe' alait.(Please excuse my spelling) "Coffee & Cream"
It can be a rare color breeding chocolate to white with a recessive gene. I had a mini poodle that was cafe alait.
I do not see a problem with mom & pup's traveling at 3 weeks of age as long as mom is comfortable with it. Being a breeder cow she may not like road trips too much and this could stress her, and the kids. She does not need stress of any kind right now, only bliss.
All should go through a vaccination schedule, including mom. Keep it tight too, I doubt mom had any believable history of vax's which means the kids will have no natural immunity.
Old December 4th, 2008, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karin View Post
The color you describe sounds like cafe' alait.(Please excuse my spelling) "Coffee & Cream"
It can be a rare color breeding chocolate to white with a recessive gene. I had a mini poodle that was cafe alait.
I do not see a problem with mom & pup's traveling at 3 weeks of age as long as mom is comfortable with it. Being a breeder cow she may not like road trips too much and this could stress her, and the kids. She does not need stress of any kind right now, only bliss.
All should go through a vaccination schedule, including mom. Keep it tight too, I doubt mom had any believable history of vax's which means the kids will have no natural immunity.
Cafe o' lait sounds like a pretty good expression, actually!

Molly was great in the car coming here a couple of weekends ago, and she was great apparently in the car going to the vet... so I guess we'll see how she goes between now and then. My main concern was whether or not it might be harmful to the puppies, but I guess not?

The vet is working with them on vaccinations... apparently they have in writing the vaccinations Molly has had, but who knows if that's true? That's right up there with 'oh yes, the dogs are kept separate', LOL. So yeah, vacs are important and the pups will get theirs before they go to any homes, too.
Old December 4th, 2008, 07:54 PM

Some pictures... Molly with Ebby, mom's other doggy, and on her own...
Attached Images

Old December 4th, 2008, 07:54 PM

and some with the pups...
Attached Images

Old December 4th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Those r some some pups. I couldn't even make them out in the picture with their mom.

I'm glad that Molly was with your mom when this happened. Poor little thing has lead the life she has thus far and now is a mother w/o anyone even realizing it. Did your mom not hear her when she was in labor? I'd be to wake up to pups or kittens in my house. As would anyone.

Looks like she gets along with your mom's other dog.

Dracko (GSD) male - 2000 - 31/02/2011 RIP my boy
Mochie (Balinese X/feline) female - 1994 - 07/01/2010 RIP my sweetie
Ginkgo (Siamese X/feline) female - 6 years
Smitty (long-haired white/feline) male - 5 years
Teiya (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years
Kinsey (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years

DON’T BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER PETS DIE!
Old December 4th, 2008, 09:19 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommysmom View Post

1. What does Molly need, besides good food and lots of it, a safe place for her and the puppies, lots of water... what else?

as long as she's getting food rich in proteins and some time off when she needs to rest

3. Mom was supposed to come up here for Christmas... the pups would then be 3 weeks old. Is it safe for them to come?
Until the pups are fully vaccinated , I wouldn't take them anywhere. They could caught bugs , viruses , they and their mom have to stay put for a while.

omg I can't believe this , must had been a surprise alright !

Been there , done that
Old December 4th, 2008, 09:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Molly and her pups are actually "Creams", same as my Den-Den. This is the very lightest shade of apricot. Don't be surprized if the pups have quite red ears. As they age, they will fade to a cream or almost white color. Den-Den had very red ears and he's all cream now. This is my favorite of all colors that poodles come in.

Your vet would be a good source of info as to their nutritional needs. Bless you for caring for these lucky little guys and trying to do right by them. Also, for planning to let them stay with Molly 11 to 12 weeks! Most BYB moms have their litters taken away from them far too early. This is one of the best ways to let them get a good start in life. And good for Molly as well.
Old December 4th, 2008, 10:04 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Good to see you again Glasslass.!
Old December 4th, 2008, 10:48 PM

Your vet has probably given some advise already....but I would also had that the pups should be weighed on a daily basis for the first few weeks, to make sure that they are gaining weight and drinking properly. For pups this size just use a kitchen scale. Also, trim their nails on a weekly basis. So that they do not hurt mom's tummy. Bedding should be changed on a daily basis.

I personaly would not travel with pups this age, nor with a dog that has just been introduced into a new house. Even though she travelled well before...the stress of having these pups and going to another new environment might be way too much for her. If the house she is going to has another dog, she might defend her pups by attacking the other dog or hurt her puppies.

And I agree with Frenchy that the pups could pick up viruses that could make them really sick.

Too bad this dog had to go thru another pregnancy. At this point she should be enjoying her retirement and get all the attention herself and not have to share it with her new pups!!
Old December 5th, 2008, 06:06 AM

Humans sure can be inhumane.

I agree with the advice given. I would not travel with the mother and her pups or take them out where they can catch a virus or a bug.

The mom look beautiful and I wish you all the best of luck. It may be one last litter, but at least she had this litter in the right hands.
Old December 5th, 2008, 07:56 AM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

Oh my heavens...what a surprise that must have been

Molly is perfectly adorable. It is wonderful she is out of the BYB hands and that this litter is too. Sounds like your Mum is doing all she can right now.

I don't think a long drive and a change of scenery would be wise right now for this poor girl and her pups. Sucks that it is at Christmas and all and certainly more than anyone bargained for though. :sad:

Please keep us updated on Molly and her pups with LOTS of pictures.

Good luck
Old December 5th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Geek Club CEO

OMG, what a shock!!! I think I'd fall over!!!

Glad momma and the little ones are healthy and safe
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old December 5th, 2008, 10:59 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

That must've about knocked your mom for a loop! But they sure are cute little buggers! Molly is a good mommy And she sure is lucky to be where she ended up right now!

I also would not travel with them, though, TM. Any chance you can put off the visit till later? I know you'd miss the holiday, but I think 3 weeks is a little young to be transporting mom and pups from one place to another...

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 8th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

Aside from things you've already been told, I do know that the pups must be kept warm - really warm. I'm not sure what temp, but I'm sure the vet would have that information.

The pups are adorable - and so lucky that they were born after Molly got her furever home!
Old December 9th, 2008, 03:36 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandy View Post
The pups are adorable - and so lucky that they were born after Molly got her furever home!
I agree.

Also agree that Molly and her babies should stay home. Is there any chance that your mom can get someone to come stay with them while she is visiting you? Or what about you, dh and Tommy taking Xmas dinner to her house?

Good luck.