Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old May 26th, 2004, 09:42 AM

Help Desperately Needed

Hello and Good Day Everyone!

Please forgive me if I am posting in the wrong area. I am in desperate need for information regarding Public Service/Assistance Dogs, I am differently abled and would really benifit from either having my dog trained for public assistance/Service but I have no idea where to begin my search, I have attempted to contact a few local trainers to see if they can point me in the right direction but it seems that if they can't do the trainng they do not even so much as want to point out other avenues to me. I am in a position where I stand to loose my job because I have a hard time performing my duites and due to the disability it will only worsen. I am in Ontario Canada and I sure would appreciate any and all help, in fact a simple response would be appreciated. My dog does already assist me without being taught but mostly with balance he is a 1 year old Male Boxer but from the vague information I can find I am under the understanding that it would take far too long to have him and myself trained, maybe someone can shed a little light on this for me?

Thank you all in advance
Take Care and Be Well
Rick & Diesel
Old May 26th, 2004, 09:54 AM

Is that youre doggy next to youre name - he is very sweet. a one year old dog should definately be able to be trained - you wouldnt want to wait much longer though. I know here in the uk there are charities that train dogs as assistance dogs ( and an amazing job those dogs do too!!) I dont know if they would take on youre own dog or rather prefer to give you another already trained dog? Im not much help really am i! Im sure there will be some people along here shortly who will definately know a lot more than me!

Claire
Old May 26th, 2004, 10:00 AM

Hi, You didn't specify what your problem is, so it's hard to understand what kind a skills your dog would need. Don't give up on your Boxer, i'm sure he can be thought to do what needs to be done. If you already have a bond with him, then that's the most important part. I have a book called "Training your Boxer", published by Barrons. At the back of this book there is a list of organizations that do different things with Boxers. You could contact Boxer clubs (In Ontario, there is a club called the Northern Ontario Boxer Club), they could help you find what you need, and tell you wether your boxer can or can't continue helping you with your situation. My book also mentions these sites:
www.deltasociety.com
www.tdi_dog.org
They are Animal-Assisted Therapy sites - not what you're looking for, but they might be a good place to ask.

And your workplace CAN NOT fire you for your disability, that is discrimination! If they do, get a lawyer and sue them!
Old May 26th, 2004, 10:28 AM
Senior Contributor

I'm not qiute sure if they will train your dog for this...They usually have their own dogs they train for this.Alot do come from shelters or are donated puppies.And they do an amazing job.As kasher stated,they train their own dogs for this.And alot of time and training goes into it.And your dog being a year old can be trained.Some of the dogs they train for assistance dogs are as old as 3 years old.

Here is a link.Don't think it's a canadian one.But I am sure you can email to get more info on it.You can click on the different links to get help.

http://www.therapyanimals.org/links.php?linkSectionID=5
Old May 26th, 2004, 10:44 AM

Try here, this facility is near my home:

http://www.nsd.on.ca/

Heather
Old May 26th, 2004, 04:25 PM

Thank you ALL

WoW, what a great bunch you all are, thank you very much for your help I can't tell you how much I appreciate you all taking the time to reply to my post. I did forget to mention the exact nature of my disability and that is an amputee but mobile with assorted issues tied in but the primary being an amputee. Yes the picture in my profile is Diesel, a 1 year old Boxer, I would much rather have him trained to regulation rather then get another dog after all I assisted in his birth, I know him well and he knows me well, I just can't explain it with him, it's like he knows when I need him and he's there without fail but most material says 2 years training or better for public assistance/service. Are there people here in these forums that any of you know of who do train for public assistance? as I have a few questions but also do not want to turn this into a sales ad either

Thank you all just the same, I at least have a place to start

Take Care & Be Well
Rick & Diesel
Old May 28th, 2004, 04:34 AM

Talking

http://sdog.danawheels.net/ot-adog.shtml
Have a look at this site it is all about training youre own dog to be an assistance dog - hope it helps.

It tells you all the pro's of using youre own dog as an assistance dog ( cost, waiting lists etc)

Good luck and let us know what you do!!!!

Claire
Old May 28th, 2004, 04:37 AM

Oh and i forgot - they have an assistance and service dog web ring and these people have these dogs and some have trained themselves so i bet someone there will be able to point you in the right direction!
Old May 28th, 2004, 08:03 AM
Senior Contributor

Very good info kasher...

The one thing that concerns me about having your own dog trained is the vet bills.What I mean by that is,when you get an assisted dog from the organization,they usually pay for the vet care,or help out because the dogs come from them.But if you have your own dog trained by someone else,then who helps you then?I hope that made sense.This is something you also need to look into...

And yes,these dogs need to be fully trained in obedience first.Must know all basic commands.They must be able to handle anything and anyone.

Example:All noises,kids,other dogs,cats,cars,strangers(must not try to go after them).

There is someone on another pet site that is training her Lab to be a seeing eye dog.With these dogs they are fostered out at about 3 months till 12-14 months.They must go through the training I mentioned.Then the dogs go back to the organizeation and trained further.Sorry to say,but there is no way this dog will pass.He has to many issues.And he is about 12 months old.

One of my dogs is a retired Police Dog.I did all the basic training myself.Had to get Tron used to everything and everyone.It was alot of work.But worth it..Then my brother took him for the rest of his training.

I wish you all the luck...Please let us know what happens.....
Old May 28th, 2004, 09:04 PM
Senior Contributor

This dog in the link is learning some skills for service dogging. You might find it interesting and want to email the owner to find more about it.

Thor