Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 8th, 2004, 01:48 AM

sick dull listless sad dog

My 14 yr old dog has been treated for hypo thyroidism for 8 yrs (she is on maximum dose of Soloxine.) The past year she has survived vestibular syndrome and has recovered about 80% but definitely not her 'old self'.

The last 3 weeks she has been refusing to eat normally. She make some feeble attempt to eat where she picks up the food and dumps it on the floor next to her bowl. It seems that she has trouble chewing and swallowing. This has been accompanied with bouts of vomitting luminescent yellow or orange colour liquid (no solid food in it).

She is listless, seems depressed, sleeps alot and frequents her water bowl quite often.

Took her to the vet and had her examined including a hypo-thyroid blood test which resulted in "normal."

The vet said to bring her in for more tests as it could be numerous things.

As she is 14 years old and with her current medical history, is it fair to put her through all those tests?

I'm at wits end.

Any response or opinion out there?

Lesley
Old April 8th, 2004, 10:19 AM
Senior Contributor

As someone who lost a 14 yr old dog a few years ago, I can only give you my personal opinion.

*I* would not put a dog that age through any painful or invasive tests. No matter what the result, the time left to her is very limited (unless she is a very small breed who could live another 3 or 4 yrs)

IMO, your dog sounds like her life is no longer a pleasure to her and that she is just lingering and maybe suffering too.

I know this is a very difficult situation, but your dog has had a very long and wonderful life. You don't want her last months to be filled with only misery. I know just how you feel.
Old April 10th, 2004, 04:34 AM

Unhappy TIRED DOG

It truly sounds like this dog is just hanging on and life has litttle to offer it at this point.
The throwing up of a yellowish/orange liquid is most likely raw digestive fluiids from the stomach which not only taste bad to her but might quite likely be irritating the lining of her throat or mouth.
The presence of this condition could also explain her frequent trips to the water bowl. The dog is also most likely in some stage of dehydration.
Dogs, like us, are easily affected by the condition of their stomach.
When our stomach is highly upset we frequently feel tired - listless and generally out of sorts. The body hides from pain in a sleep mode. Often times, both humans and dogs, don't realize why we don't feel good - we just don't.
If the dog is not eating the buildup of digestive fluiids is likely gnawing at the dog's stomach lining for lack of anything else to work on.
I suspect the time is near to give the dog a release from it's declining state of health
The only thing I have seen give temporary relief to this conditon has been to give the dog something to coat or line the stomach. I am not a medical person so I am not dispensing medical advice however I have had some limited success by giving Pepto Bismol capsules if you can get the dog to eat or swallow them. This is a relief of the symptoms and not a cure.
WB
Old April 10th, 2004, 08:46 AM
Senior Contributor

I'm with LR on this one.

I lost my 13 year old cat 3 years ago. my dog at 13 years before.Not exactly what you are going through with your dog.I too could not put him through anymore testing.Even though I knew he still had a few more years with us.But he was suffering.

I know you would love for her to hang on a few more years.And I know in your heart you want to do the right thing.So do what is best for her.

As LR said,she has had a long and wonderful life with you.

Please let us know what happens.