Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 2nd, 2003, 02:33 PM

Unhappy Dog barking all day

My dog used to spend his days with my spouse at work. Since we moved 2 years ago, the dog stays at home. Until last November, he was free in the house, but since he destroyed a few items we decided to crate him. Besides, the neighbours were leaving notes in our mailbox saying that our dog was barking or howling all day. Now that he is in a crate, he still barks and howl for a good part of the day. We tried the citronella spay, then he does not bark but howls all day. I just don't know what to do anymore. At least I know he won't hurt himself while he is in the crate, but still...
Old May 3rd, 2003, 08:32 AM

Barking Dog

Your dog is probably bored and lonely.

Give him stuff to do while you are away.

Here is a tip I copied off this site...it may help

Good luck

Bohemian

"At the very least, provide your dogs with good toys to amuse themselves. Many toys (Like Kongs) can be stuffed with peanut butter or other dog treats. This gives the dog something appropriate to do when you are not around. Another tip is to keep the television or the radio on. Talk radio is thought to be better than music and is soothing to most dogs. Nothing though, can replace human interaction, not even a second dog, which is not a good idea if you don't even have time for the first one."
http://www.pets.ca/pettips/tips-7.htm
Old May 8th, 2003, 06:57 AM
Administrator

Barking dog

Your dog sounds as if it's suffering from separation anxiety. Since your spouse no longer takes your dog to work, your dog is objecting by destroying and barking. Your dog can't seem to understand this sudden change in his daily routine so he's gone to the point of being naughty to get some attention.

Putting him in a crate is a good start but you may have to do a few more things to get him to stop what he's doing (or not suppose to be doing).

Being as both of you work during the week days, may I suggest that you try the following:

This coming weekend (or even -- starting tonight), when you're both home, try leaving your dog in his crate for short periods of time during the day. Peek in windows to make sure that he isn't barking. Come back "before" he starts to bark or "before" he starts fussing around in his crate. You want to praise him while he's still being a good boy. If he's behaving himself, add a few more minutes onto the last time you left him, etc., etc.

Make his crate as friendly as possible. Before you leave in the morning, put a "Kong" toy filled with peanut butter (or cheese whiz) with some of his nummy treats mixed in -- into his crate with him. This will keep his mind active for at least a little while.

Leave the radio and/or TV on. If you have an answering machine -- call home -- every so often during the day so he hears your voice.

If you cannot make it home at least once a day, could you possibly have someone come in and let your dog out of his crate? Maybe once mid morning and again mid afternoon? Maybe even have this person take him out for a bit of a walk to stretch his legs? This way, your dog is receiving some human contact until you're able to come home at night.

This will take a lot of patience on everyone's part but you'll be on the road to success. In the end, everyone will be happier!

© Nancy Kitching 2003

Nancy Kitching
Dog Trainer Member of CAPPT, CKC, OKC (Ottawa Kennel Club), and Bytown Obedience Club in Ottawa.
156 Fairhaven
Hudson, Quebec J0P 1H0

Tel: 450-458-3165
Old May 20th, 2003, 07:23 AM

dog barking all day

I personally think this is cruel punishment for a dog that has had freedom before he was stopped from going to the office each day.

I always like to put myself in the pets position and imagine how I would feel in the same situation.

To leave a dog in a crate for probably 7 or 8 or even more hours a day is unacceptable.

please try and remedy this for the dog's peace of mind and quality of life.
Old May 20th, 2003, 12:42 PM
The Pit Bull Lady

Crates are a must in my house. I rehabilitate ex-fighting dogs, dogs with high prey drives and dogs who like to eat knives.

These dogs are in their crates 10 hours a day minimum. If I let them all loose I would come home to a house full of dead dogs.

I also have a dog that if she's not in her crate, she'll open drawers and pull out knives and chew on the blade.

Crates are great devices to make sure animals are kept safe.
Old June 17th, 2003, 10:47 PM
Senior Contributor

are you excercising your dog properly?? I found when my dog had extreme seperation anxiety (she would tear up the house and one day ate her way through the back door) i found that a long and intense excersise session in the morning and as soon as you get home worked wonders. if you tire it out in the morning it will probably be a little more content and not so energetic (therefore calming the dog and tiring it out), and i mean a good run in the morning not a walk at the park. there are also some great dog trainers out there that may be able to help you- in australia we have a group called bark busters that come to your home and help with training - i feel dog crates are cruel for normal animals (appropriate for those dogs with probs) i mean really the dog is an animal with instincts not a flexible accessory that is locked up when need be - how natural is that. would you lock up a naughty child?? if your problem can not be solved within a reasonable time frame then you must consider weather the dog is really appropriate for you family - maybe out of kindness, fairness etc you should give it up.
Old June 27th, 2003, 07:18 PM

hire a walker. 25 bucks per week. for one hour per day. most walkers love dogs and will probably keep hiim longer.

i walk a couple of dogs during the day whose owners cannot be there for them. you will have to deal with your own separation anxiety when your dog begins to show more love for the person walking them than they do to you. you will end up being only the 'feeder' whereas the walker will be the one who provided emotional support for them. Emotional support fun and companionship. beats money/food every time. if you love your dog, you will allow your dog to love someone else who can give to him what he needs.

mark cain
Old July 1st, 2003, 06:21 PM

% response versus views

how could this topic generate so much interest? 300+ views with but 6 responses! this topic must have struck a chord with many people.