Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 12th, 2011, 06:23 PM

Large Dog Jumping and Nipping

I say nipping, but really I was bruised through a sweatshirt and a winter jacket.

The back story:

She is not my dog but at the SPCA, so needs to curb this habit in order to stand any chance of adoption.

1.5 year old black lab. Very friendly. Very sociable..very pushy!

I can understand some of the jumping because from the chart she was only walked once last week. So I'll bet one problem is she just has loads of energy and no outlet.

She actually is pretty good on leash, after the first bit of pulling she settles in nicely. Probably about 70% good.

Since a sitting dog doesnt' jump, i wanted to concentrate on getting her to learn to sit. She picked it up quickly. So quickly in fact that she kept launching herself in front of me to sit. I stopped treating unsolicited sits.

She decided she would jump up on me. So i turned my back and ignored her. Then she moved on to using teeth to get my attention as if to say "HEY!! i sat and i got nothing!! hey!!! hey you!!". Finally she sat.

Question is..do i then reward the sit? or will she take that to mean.." jump jump bite...THEN sit and get a reward?"

If she is smart she will quickly realize the quickest way to a reward is to skip the jumping/biting and proceed directly to doing what i ask.

Any positive training advice would be appreciated.

Yipping made her more excited. I've only ever had to train puppies not to jump so an adult dog may be different.