Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 16th, 2004, 07:07 AM

Unhappy Dog throwing up in morning?

My dog has been throwing up a yellowish milky substance in the mornings for the past three or four days. Could this be due to chewing on his rope bone and teddy or is it a sign of something more complicated? Should I take the chew toys away and just supply him with bones? He does eat grass when outside would this be a factor? Help please. I do have a vet appointment next week but was hoping I could stop having to clean up the puke in the mornings when my tummy is not good either.
Old April 16th, 2004, 09:59 AM
Senior Contributor

The substance you are seeing sounds like bile. What is your feeding schedule?
Old April 16th, 2004, 01:09 PM

I'm with LR, it sounds like bile. My puppy does this if he doesn't eat just before bedtime. Apparently he needs to have a bite in his little tummy or it gets upset. Try feeding your dog late at night and see if it changes his mornings, too.
Old April 16th, 2004, 01:25 PM

thanks for your replys. I feed him in the morning between 5:30 and 6 am as i have to work at 7. and then again between 5 and 6 in the evening. I wait an hour after eating before bringing him out to the bathroom because he is a very energetic dog. I will try your suggestion in feeding a bite or two before bed. I have found that it started around the same time he became very intrested in destroying his rope bone and toy. And this is what he has been munching on before bed. So I think i will take away the toys and give him a small bite before bed. He is eleven months old and has only been with me a week. The runny poo I contributed to his change in diet. It seems to be firming up a bit now. But then this happened and I didn't think that it might be serious untill I read some things here. But I will just keep his appointment next week unless he continues vomiting over the weekend after i take his toys away. Thanks.