Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old February 2nd, 2010, 09:00 PM

Question Has anyone tried Sojos grain-free fruit/veggie dog food mix?

Hi all-

Just curious if anyone else has ever tried sojos grain-free fruit & veggie dog food mix? I was at one of our local pet stores here tonight (actually looking for a dog sweater ) when I came across this product. It's ready to mix with meat and claims to be 100% natural. I picked up a 2lb bag that makes 18 lbs of fresh food for about $16.00.

Here's what the back of the package says:

Sojos is made from scratch with whole foods. No preservatives. Nothing artificial. Simply soak it in water and add raw meat for a fresh, home-prepared meal in minutes.

Ingredients: Sweet potatoes, carrots, broccoli, celery, apples, whole egg, flax meal, parsley leaf, calcium carbonate, carob powder, dried kelp, dried alfalfa, ginger root, garlic. It has feeding instructions, FAQ etc on the back with a guaranteed analysis of:

Crude protein - not less than 14.7%
Crude fat - not less than 6.5%
Crude fiber - not more than 15.4%
Moisture - not more than 7%

I picked up a bag to try. What's you guys opinion on this product? Fruits/veggies don't make up a significant portion of my dog's raw diet but I do like to add them sometimes as they really enjoy them, and I also have been wondering about adding kelp and alfalfa lately in the diet, so this seems like a nice way to supplement their mainly meat diet I provide right now.

Thoughts??

"Many of the Earth's habitats, animals, plants, insects, and even micro-organisms that we know as rare may not be known at all by future generations. We have the capability, and the responsibility. We must act before it is too late." - Dalai Lama
Old February 2nd, 2010, 09:01 PM

I also should add, they do sell another dog food mix but it has grains in it (i.e. barley etc.) so I avoided that, as I don't add grains to my dogs diet. This one is of course more expensive than the mix with grains, but not an option for me.

"Many of the Earth's habitats, animals, plants, insects, and even micro-organisms that we know as rare may not be known at all by future generations. We have the capability, and the responsibility. We must act before it is too late." - Dalai Lama
Old February 4th, 2010, 11:25 PM

cassie
looks alright. I don't see how it can hurt. I make veggies for scruff and mix them in with his raw. He loves them.
Old February 6th, 2010, 01:59 AM

Hi Etown,

So far they really seem to like it!

I think its a pretty new product, just wanted some other's opinions on the ingredient list, so thank you! Hopefully more will respond with their comments...

Old February 6th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Doggie Wench

Honestly, the ingredient list is so simple that you can make up at least 30lbs (vs 2lbs) of the stuff for under 20$ and you know the exact quality that's going in. Throw it all in a blender and freeze in ice cube trays...add one to two cubes to one meal per day.
Old February 6th, 2010, 12:43 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Only thing I can't figure out is why you would need carob powder. Is that a normal ingredient in dog foods? A chocolate substitute? And, of course, there is the ongoing never ending debate with garlic. Is it good? Is it bad?

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old February 6th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Only thing I can't figure out is why you would need carob powder. Is that a normal ingredient in dog foods? A chocolate substitute? And, of course, there is the ongoing never ending debate with garlic. Is it good? Is it bad?
In this case, carob powder is probably added as a thickener for a smoother consistency when the water is added. In addition, it may also be used as a natural preservative.
Old February 6th, 2010, 12:59 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
In this case, carob powder is probably added as a thickener for a smoother consistency when the water is added. In addition, it may also be used as a natural preservative.
Thanks LP. I should pay closer attention to what is in dog food. I understand the thickening part. Just couldn't figure out why it would be needed.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old February 6th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Doggie Wench

I've never seen it added to dog food before either. I'm just assuming it's added to better help bind the other ingredients together once the water is added...to make it look better to the consumer ? No idea really but surely not something that's necessary.
Old February 6th, 2010, 01:11 PM
150% PRO S/N

Thanks! I learn something new here all the time.

Old February 12th, 2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassiek View Post
Hi all-

Just curious if anyone else has ever tried sojos grain-free fruit & veggie dog food mix? I was at one of our local pet stores here tonight (actually looking for a dog sweater ) when I came across this product. It's ready to mix with meat and claims to be 100% natural. I picked up a 2lb bag that makes 18 lbs of fresh food for about $16.00.

Here's what the back of the package says:

Sojos is made from scratch with whole foods. No preservatives. Nothing artificial. Simply soak it in water and add raw meat for a fresh, home-prepared meal in minutes.

Ingredients: Sweet potatoes, carrots, broccoli, celery, apples, whole egg, flax meal, parsley leaf, calcium carbonate, carob powder, dried kelp, dried alfalfa, ginger root, garlic. It has feeding instructions, FAQ etc on the back with a guaranteed analysis of:

Crude protein - not less than 14.7%
Crude fat - not less than 6.5%
Crude fiber - not more than 15.4%
Moisture - not more than 7%

I picked up a bag to try. What's you guys opinion on this product? Fruits/veggies don't make up a significant portion of my dog's raw diet but I do like to add them sometimes as they really enjoy them, and I also have been wondering about adding kelp and alfalfa lately in the diet, so this seems like a nice way to supplement their mainly meat diet I provide right now.

Thoughts??
Hey Cassie we fed the sojo's to my white lab momma, she was not a fan of it.
She almost smiled when I gave her a raw block this morning hahahaha