Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old March 19th, 2006, 08:43 AM

Catflap and intruders

I bought an expensive catflap with special collars in order to protect my house and cats from the local unneutered Tom. He just barges through and has actually broken the flap part, so I have removed the batteries and the collars (I don't like my cats wearing collars anyway). But I really have had enough now. I seem to be offering Open House to all the local moggies and would like to remove the catflap.

Has anyone actually done this? The door has a metal casing, not wood. Also, how do you get your own cats used to no longer having a catflap?

Many thanks in advance for any advice you can offer me!
Old March 19th, 2006, 09:01 AM
Coopers mom

may I ask why you want your cats to go out doors with out collars???
Old March 19th, 2006, 09:44 AM
Senior Contributor

Saschka,most of us here who have cats,me included,would not let our cats outside unsupervised,not that many people don't still do it,even here..
On this Forum we strongly advice against it.
However,I have noticed that anyone from the UK,let their cats roam freely
I am not ranting,just warning you about what kind of advice you'll get
Closing off a cat-flap should not be too difficult,just cut out a board and place it in the opening
Old March 19th, 2006, 01:17 PM

Letting cats out without collars

As chico2 says, in the UK we let cats go out unsupervised. There are many things about cat care that are different between USA and UK, I think - our vets won't trim claws, for instance, as they think it's cruel, and of course, if cats go out, their claws get trimmed naturally.

The reason I don't like collars is that I've seen cats that have got their collars caught on things and been nearly strangled. They do have microchips, so can be identified if lost.

It's the management of the withdrawal of the catflap and how to do it without upsetting the cats that I'd value advice on.
Old March 29th, 2006, 07:55 AM

I find it strange that you supervise your cats outdoors. Mine have always been indoor/outdoor with a cat door. Now a collar...Thats a definate. Just buy the ones that have the pet safe snap that breaks away really easily when snagged.
Old March 29th, 2006, 07:59 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

If I'm not mistaken, I think there is a kit you can get to seal the flap opening up. You would need to know the make of cat flap you have and contact the company or do a search online for it. I know I've seen one when we were looking for a house to buy as one had it fixed in case someone who bought the house had no need for it.
Old March 29th, 2006, 08:19 AM
Senior Contributor

Nighthawk,there is nothing strange about supervising your cats outside
We have trained them from kitten-hood to stay in the backyard where we are.
I would no more let my cats roam,than I would a dog.
I love them too much to let them face a busy street,cat-haters and other animals.
My cats are very happy cats(they told me ),hubby and I love the out-doors and spend spring/summer in the backyard,gardening,swimming etc..and the cats are doing their thing,until we all go back inside.
They have trees to climb,grass to eat,bugs to chase,an 8 foot fence to keep them safe and with us..what's wromg with that???
In the winter,they are very happy to go inside after 5 min in the cold,as am I.
We are retired,so we have lots of time,but even when I worked,I had time to take them outside,I value their little lives too much to let them roam and maybe one day have to scrape them off the street:love:
Old March 29th, 2006, 10:38 AM

Aside from sealing the cat flap, you can try spraying the cat flap with a smell cats don't like (they sell these bottles in the store, but a friend from church told me that orange juice will work just as well). I realize that your frustration is more with the stray cat just barging into your house, so that's why I thought of the spray.

If you seal the cat flap completely, you may want to consider hanging a little bell from the door knob. When the cats mess with the bell you open the door for them. Eventualy they'll learn to ring the bell - in and out of the house. They are smart! believe me.

Do get safety collars for them anyways, it's so easy for someone to just "pick up a stray cat" and do whatever they see fit with them - trust me, I've learned from experience. I've had my cats given away to other people, swung at with brooms, poisoned, etc as a result of not getting them some kind of visible identification that lets others know "hey, this actually belongs to someone!" That was also when I was a lot younger and I followed my Grandma's rules on how to have housecats. Now that I am an adult I treat and raise MY cats differently than when they were younger, I spoil them a lot, but they also last a lot longer

"A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal,
but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel."
- Proverbs 12:10
www.myspace.com/mhass1129
Old March 29th, 2006, 12:57 PM

when I get home from work, haha , I am going to email this loop a photo of a HOMEMADE doggy door my hsuband made.This door is used ONLY when the patio door is open, if we are not home, the door is shut.He made it home made and it is attached to the screen door.It was easy to make, material laying around garage and 2 years we have had it and it is the best thing, we have dogs and have a fence, so I dont know if it would be suitable for cats .I will post photo later once i take a couple
Old March 30th, 2006, 08:47 AM

sorru i posted my photos to the wrong thread!! sorry ladies, here is the thread the doggy homemade dogggy door is in

"Ten month old Schnau Tzu - leave in crate all day? " under TRAINING