Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old December 12th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Master of the Drool!

Swollen elbow joint

Hey guys was wondering if you guys had any ideas....Murphy has a swollen elbow. He has been to the vet and the vet drained off some fluid out of it. No infection (thank dog) She said that in large dogs it is common for this type of thing to happen where the dog lays down or flops down hard on the joint and will cause swelling.

She said mybe try warm compresses on the elbow joint a couple times a day and make sure he is laying on something soft. Do you know of any other ideas to help the swelling to go down?? He is not in any pain and still as good as ever. Plus he was SUPER great for the vet while she was draining the joint. I am posting a pic for you to see. He is running in the pic so he looks funny. Thanks
Attached Images

AHHHH They are a year old already!!!!
Old December 12th, 2008, 09:41 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat&Murph View Post
Do you know of any other ideas to help the swelling to go down??
Yep , send him here , I have carpets and lots of doggy beds

I'm sorry , I have no advices for you but maybe someone else will have some.
Old December 12th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Senior Contributor

awwww poor lil guy.

No advice either but I hope someone will have some for him & you
Old December 12th, 2008, 10:12 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Ouchie!! That looks sore. I would think compresses as well. And, of course, watching to make sure it goes down. Poor baby.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old December 13th, 2008, 12:51 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Owie! It does look like it would hurt...but you say it doesn't seem to bother him? I should think that bed rest is mandatory--so now that he's sleeping on your bed, where will you be spending the night?

I hope the compresses help and the swelling goes down soon. Is this something that the vet thinks will recur? Or just a one-time deal once you get it healed up?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 13th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Master of the Drool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Owie! It does look like it would hurt...but you say it doesn't seem to bother him? I should think that bed rest is mandatory--so now that he's sleeping on your bed, where will you be spending the night?

I hope the compresses help and the swelling goes down soon. Is this something that the vet thinks will recur? Or just a one-time deal once you get it healed up?
Thanks guys...The vet said because he is soo young it might be a one time deal. She said cause he hasn't developped calilus on his elbows yet that thats why he has it. He lays down too hard on the floor. He is in no pain. he runs around like normal and you can poke it and he doesn't look sideways. Vet said if he was in pain he would have a infection. Now that the vet drained it, she said it will fill back up but after soft rest it will go back down in a couple weeks
Old December 13th, 2008, 05:56 PM
-

If it is actually a one-off occurrence then I guess your Vet has the ribbon. An elbow swelling like that though? I don't think that's a one-off. Looks like a cyst.
Old December 13th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Senior Contributor

I'd never heard of or seen this until a few weeks ago. A Great Dane I met had the same thing going with one of his back legs, but had a drain put in. Didn't bother him in the least either and after talking to a friend who's just a wee bit obsessed with mastiffs, it seems to be a pretty common problem in giant breeds

Crazy the things you can learn at a performance art party
Old December 13th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Master of the Drool!

Yeah I thought it was a cyst too. Had Murphy into the vet twice over it. When she drained it, she tested it though and it came back fine. She said in the giant breeds it is very common. Danes, Mastiffs..etc Just have to keep a eye out on it. she said I could put a wrap around it if he keeps laying on the floor.
Old October 3rd, 2011, 11:38 AM

English Mastiff Swollen Elbow

I just noticed yesterday that my mastiff has the exact same swelling on his front left leg, and started search online today to see if there was anything posted for it. I've seen hot compresses, and that's about all. My dog's leg looks exactly as your photo. It doesn't hurt him--I've massaged and pressed it, and it doesn't bother him, but it feels as if there's fluid on it. I thought it may have been a wasp bite or insect bite, but I know he flops down on the floor all the time.
Old October 3rd, 2011, 06:40 PM
Senior Contributor

I see this as a similar problem to old dogs getting bad callouses on their elbows, chloemac1 , because they spend so much time lying down, and the only way I've been able to save such callouses from turning into sores is to give the dog a big pen with 3 or 4 layers of newspapers, beds and fleeces on top, nowhere hard for the dog to bang its elbows as it lies down. A nuisance I know but if anyone has a better idea I'd be glad to hear of it.