Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old October 1st, 2006, 03:11 AM

yorkies in the cold

I have two purebred yorkie pups (4 months and 6 months) I see alot of people put sweaters and such on their yorkies in cold weather. I was wondering if this was more of a trend, human atribute or if they REALLY need one. I couldnt find any scientific backing on why they would need it.
Old October 1st, 2006, 12:16 PM

Small dogs have a faster metabolism and a high surface area to volume ratio, so they'd lose a ton of heat and would have a hard time getting their body temp back up if they ever got cold.

I think if anything you should get muttluks for the feet. Dogs, whatever size, tend to get frozen when their feet are frozen. The muttluks aren't insulated, but they stop the snow from going between the pads. (I'm only plugging muttluks because so far, they seem to be the best ones out there).

But a windbreaker or wooly sweater would certainly help them on very chilly days too.
Old October 1st, 2006, 12:38 PM
Senior Contributor

I have to second the muttluks, they're awesome! As for coats, I think there are deffinately people who dress their dogs up just for the fun of it (dogs in parkas living in LA come to mind) but in these northern climates, coats are often needed for some dogs. My girl, who is significantly larger than a yorkie, gets the shivers, just sits down, won't move and shakes like crazy. Because of that, she gets a coat in the winter. I think you might find that on the cold days, a coat is a godsend.
Old October 1st, 2006, 05:26 PM
Senior Contributor

I have greyhound and even they have a tought time with the cold especially as they get old, if they are just going for a quick turnout in the yard I use a coat only when it is very cold or if the there are windchills, but for longer outings they need a coat. My chinese hairless crested is already wearing an lighter outfit now as he is feeling the cold already as it starts getting closer to freezing with some morning being frosty.
Old October 1st, 2006, 06:12 PM

Our little yorkie gets cold when he's outside if the temp is below 10 C. So yes, the clothes he wears is functional as well as fashionable. My bigger 15 lbs mutt also gets cold in the dead of winter and he has a double coat.

Dog boots are good if you can find them small enough... Itty Bitty (smallest size of muttlucks), aren't small enough to dogs that weigh less than 8 lbs, as that's what size he 15 lbs guy wears. We've tried them on the yorkie and he's swimming int hem they are so big, which is too bad because they do help the larger one stay warm longer.

Last edited by PetFriendly; October 1st, 2006 at 06:22 PM.
Old October 1st, 2006, 07:42 PM
Senior Contributor

yorkies

Because they're not double coated like some breeds (collie) the wind will go right through to their skin and it would be like going outside in winter with just a light sweat-shirt on rather than a coat.
Old October 1st, 2006, 08:35 PM
ZooKeeper aka Mom

As an owner of a small dog that does have to wear clothes in the cold for warmth I can give you one peice of very important advice. Make sure what ever you dress your yorkie in is well fitting and allows easy, natural movement.
If the clothing is comfortable, your pup can enjoy the benefits and not hate wearing it.
Old October 4th, 2006, 09:21 PM
Senior Contributor

I have been buying outfits for my chinese crested from a seller on ebay they are well made and fit well and Winnie loves the PJ's does not want me taking them off him, which speaks volumes for the comfort and the prices are quite reasonable for the amount of work to make one, I have made greyhound sized fleece ones, but for the price it's well worth buying instead of having the headache of altering patterns to make my own, I have bought 7 outfits now from her now 3 fannels and 4 polar fleec, polar fleece will repel water so good for milder winter days
she makes chi and yorkie sized outfits as well. You need to measure around the chest(behind the front legs) and back length order to get the right size, sizes are stating in the listing http://stores.ebay.ca/Pats-Pet-Beds-...QQftidZ2QQtZkm

she also make nylon coats with polar fleece lining as well which would be good for colder windy winter days if you ask, she would probably make in chi sizes right now she just has chinese crested sizes listed.
Old October 4th, 2006, 09:27 PM
Performance Spaniels

I bought a jogger and a hoodie from here http://www.barkindogclothes.com/
They will custom make anything to your size specs, and had the fastest return emails for my questions anyone has ever gotten back to me in.

Haven't recieved them yet, but a few people I know ordered stuff from there and raved.
Old October 10th, 2006, 07:56 AM

Rosie my pug has a vast variety of clothing, she already has her fall outfits on she had a hard start to her life and if putting a sweater or a pair of jammies on her keeps her snuggly warm then she will have them

clothing is for fashion and practicality as well some dogs NEED and WANT there snugly sweaters and coats and boots on