Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old January 21st, 2006, 02:33 PM

Boy do I feel dumb

I always thought that IAM and Euk were GREAT foods for pets. Our Teddy was always fed Iams by his previous owners, so we've continued it. We live near a health food store for humans and pets that carries some of the other brands that I've seen mentioned here (Wellness, Old Mother Hubbard, Solid Gold) so I'll be looking into them. I think I like the Solid Gold, so I may go with that and switch him gradually. Also, I just assumed that Teddy would eat twice a day and he did the first few days, but now he just sniffs at his early meal and doesn't much bother with it. I read on the Wellness site that small breeds generally only eat once a day.
So I'll cut him back to one meal a day and incorporate a better food into his diet. Geesh, I love this place !!!

Dawn
Old January 21st, 2006, 02:52 PM

Don't feel bad! I was under the same impression before I read the info on here. I also believed in Euk, and had my puppy on it for a month or so, before I switched to Solid Gold. I can't say I have noticed a difference, but it is peace of mind knowing she is eating a healthier diet and will benefit in the long run. I tried Wellness, and she refused to touch it.

Ebony - miniature schnauzer
Old January 21st, 2006, 03:44 PM

Keep in mind that these foods are richer than Euk or Iams so you will need to feed less. And they have little to no stool hardeners so if you are feeding too much (after the gradual switch is complete), the stool will be soft.

Jemma didn't eat her first meal till around 2PM (before we got her) and now we have to hover over her telling her to be "easy" and take breaks... She didn't like her food before, I guess.

Rivers, how long has your doggy been on the food? It might take a few months to adjust and then you'll start to see the effects. Of course, the solid golds with the fish as the first main ingredient (like the "Just a Wee Bit", "Wolf King" and "WolfCub") will make the hair shinier than the Hundnflocken lamby ones...
Old January 21st, 2006, 04:22 PM

I called the natural food place today and they don't stock the "Just a Wee Bit", but they will order it for me and if I want to continue to use it, they will keep some for us. Yeah !!!

DawnM
Old January 22nd, 2006, 12:04 AM

That's great!