Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old May 19th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Angry Neighbor confesses to killing barking dog.

This guy is the and of the day. This is in the county next to mine.

BSO: Neighbor Confesses To Killing Barking Dog
OAKLAND PARK ―

The Broward Sheriff's Office has made an arrest in the shooting death of a man's beloved pet dog, four months after the animal was shot and left to die in his own backyard.

According to BSO, Michael Jones, 23, was arrested on May 16th for the shooting death of his neighbor's dog.

The shooting took place January 19th, 2008. Norman Seemann, who lives at 935 NE 24th Street in Oakland Park, came home to find his dog "Whiskey", an 8-year-old male Boxer mix, had been shot in the backyard.

"And somewhere along the lines the kid stuck a gun over the fence, shot him, hit him in the neck,' said the dog's owner, Norman Seemann. "The dog ran up, came in thru the dog door and went to the back room." But the dog didn't die immediately. He left a trail of blood to Seaman's bedroom where "Whiskey" died on his bed.

Seemann's neighbor, Michael Jones, told deputies at the time that he had no involvement in the dog's death. However he did tell deputies that he owned two rifles, once of which, a .22 caliber pellet rifle, was submitted to the BSO Crime Lab for analysis after pellet fragments were found in the dog during the necropsy.

On Thursday May 15th, during a police interview, detectives say Jones admitted that he shot "Whiskey" because he's a full-time student and the dog's barking had become a distraction. Here's a thought, study in the library, friends house, park, put ear plugs on, put some music, get a white noise machine, the list of where he could have gone to study can go on and on.

Jones is currently being held at the BSO's Main Jail without bond. He faces one felony count of cruelty to animals resulting in death.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I hope they put him in jail and he can't be a student anymore, and as a result has to wash toilets for the rest of his miserable life.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old May 19th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Swift Tribe

you know, my pregnancy with Jeffrey was HORRIBLE!! i went WEEKS WEEKS on mere hours of sleep.... i had so much trouble sleeping... i recall one day i was laying in bed wishing i could fall asleep, i was sure THIS time i could sleep.... but my neighbors dog was barking. i had images in my head of the horrible things i could do to shut that dog up. hormones ragging... sleep deprived.... gawd!! i never laid a finger, raised my voice or any other threatening action!! if i can *not* freak out over a dog barking in THAT situation... but some stupid idiot whose studying is more important?!?!?!

the world is full of idiots. im convinced. the powers that be skipped over that one when it came to dolling out souls.

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old May 19th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Kitty pimp

well at least he isnt a NEIGHBOR
Old May 19th, 2008, 05:27 PM
-

Now I'm not taking the side but , WTF was this dog left outside ?
Old May 19th, 2008, 05:43 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
Now I'm not taking the side but , WTF was this dog left outside ?
There was a dog door so the dog could go in and out.he did die on the owners bed.

I get very little sleep at all.with my young kids fighting and Jag barking at everyone that walks by the house even on the other side of the street.and the other dogs.not once have i had evil thoughts of hurting one.he needs to be locked up for a long while.
Old May 19th, 2008, 05:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Frenchy I know what you mean. I don't understand why some owners stick their dogs outside to bark constantly, but for whatever reason this man had his dog outside, this guy deserves (just for starters) a good kick in the butt!
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old May 19th, 2008, 05:53 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
but for whatever reason this man had his dog outside, this guy deserves (just for starters) a good kick in the butt!
I'm pretty sure he won't do this again. I understand about doggy doors but I would lock mine when I'm not home.
Old May 19th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by angeldogs View Post
There was a dog door so the dog could go in and out.he did die on the owners bed.
That part just killed me. It's like he wanted to be close to his owner in the end.:sad:

Old May 19th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
That part just killed me. It's like he wanted to be close to his owner in the end.:sad:
Yes very sad.the whole thing was sad to read
Old May 19th, 2008, 06:47 PM

You who said the guy that needed a kick in the butt, i can only Assume you're talking about the pet owner?

He was my cousin... You guys are jerks. He had the dog door so the dog could go in and out while he worked ... His dad is in the hospital so when he's not at home he is with his father. His father is dieing of serveral things, so what little time Norm is not working he is with him. So what, he should leave the dog to pee /crap in the house?? No.. He puts the dog door in so the dog could go out when it needed, from what I know, I believe the dog was being TORMENTED, My cousin caught him atleast once (I think) It's been a while since then.. But still... He loved his dog.. A lot..

Quote:
Frenchy I know what you mean. I don't understand why some owners stick their dogs outside to bark constantly, but for whatever reason this man had his dog outside, this guy deserves (just for starters) a good kick in the butt!
Like i said, the guy was making the dog bark... Michael or whatever didn't get even half what he should have got for killing such a sweet dog...
Old May 19th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Neighbor confesses

The owner is partially to blame for allowing the dog access to outside unsupervised where it was the victim of a mentally disturbed person.
Old May 19th, 2008, 06:50 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illyria View Post
He was my cousin...
oh ya , ok
Old May 19th, 2008, 06:51 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.pettet View Post
The owner is partially to blame for allowing the dog access to outside unsupervised where it was the victim of a mentally disturbed person.
thank you t.pettet , that is exactly what I meant. It does NOT excuse the moron who killed the dog , but we have to be responsible for keeping our animals safe when we're not home.
Old May 19th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
You who said the guy that needed a kick in the butt, i can only Assume you're talking about the pet owner?

He was my cousin... You guys are jerks. He had the dog door so the dog could go in and out while he worked ... His dad is in the hospital so when he's not at home he is with his father. His father is dieing of serveral things, so what little time Norm is not working he is with him. So what, he should leave the dog to pee /crap in the house?? No.. He puts the dog door in so the dog could go out when it needed, from what I know, I believe the dog was being TORMENTED, My cousin caught him atleast once (I think) It's been a while since then.. But still... He loved his dog.. A lot..

Like i said, the guy was making the dog bark... Michael or whatever didn't get even half what he should have got for killing such a sweet dog...
Excuse me but I was talking about the guy who killed the dog! Why would I say to have the owner of that poor dog to have his butt kicked? Next time you accuse someone of saying something nasty like that make sure you understand what they meant.

Last edited by ancientgirl; May 19th, 2008 at 07:20 PM.
Old May 19th, 2008, 07:59 PM

I said Assume, Meaning I wasn't sure, If I was 100% sure which way you meant it I wouldn;t have put assume.. So I'm sorry for some wrongful .. accusations. It's just irritating that .. On a couple sites. people have said My cousin was in the wrong for letting his dog have access to the outside.. But.. In all reality........ What was the dog to do while he was gone almost all day?... He had to let it have time to go to the bathroom. which is what the dog door was for... besides, what if the dog was an outside dog? >_< (Not that I'd ever have any of MY dogs be outside dogs. I love them too much. I'd take my dogs everywhere I went if I could.) The man said he didn't like dogs. That's why he shot my cousins dog >_<.. It sucks because Now he lost one of his dogs that he loved, and his dads really sick ;s so I guess I jumped outta line.. I'm sorry.

Last edited by Illyria; May 19th, 2008 at 08:05 PM.
Old May 19th, 2008, 10:21 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Certainly a sad situation. I too would not leave my dogs outside unsupervised, too many nuts in this world and too much trouble they could get into regardless.
Quote:
I said Assume, Meaning I wasn't sure, If I was 100% sure which way you meant it I wouldn;t have put assume.. So I'm sorry for some wrongful .. accusations. It's just irritating that .. On a couple sites. people have said My cousin was in the wrong for letting his dog have access to the outside.. But.. In all reality........ What was the dog to do while he was gone almost all day?... He had to let it have time to go to the bathroom. My dogs are fine in the house all day when I'm at work. Any adult housebroken medically sound dog is. which is what the dog door was for... besides, what if the dog was an outside dog? No dog should be an outside dog unless he's guarding a flock.>_< (Not that I'd ever have any of MY dogs be outside dogs. I love them too much. I'd take my dogs everywhere I went if I could.) The man said he didn't like dogs. That's why he shot my cousins dog >_<.. It sucks because Now he lost one of his dogs that he loved, and his dads really sick ;s so I guess I jumped outta line.. I'm sorry.
Sad way for any animal do die for sure. I hope the neighbour gets a decent sentence out of this.

Cindy
Old May 20th, 2008, 06:59 AM
Swift Tribe

personally i think quite a few folks (myself included) set the same standards for other people when different lifestyles and different values are a right, encouraged even, if only for the diversity of life. blaming this guy for having a doggy door open when YOU wouldnt do it yourself?? doesnt make it wrong. its also unreasonable to accommodate the one in a million chance that someone will come by and shoot your dog while youre not home by confining them to the house or a crate for hours on end when a doggy door will serve the situation just fine.

either way, no matter what the 'cousin' did, it didnt warrant getting his dog shot in any circumstance, let alone for barking. it sure didnt sound like this 'student' tried at all to communicate the barking dog problem.

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Old May 20th, 2008, 11:49 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by want4rain View Post
its also unreasonable to accommodate the one in a million chance that someone will come by and shoot your dog
Oh and what about people who complain about their dogs getting stolen , or dogs getting poisoned , or got injured because the dog was outside all freaking day without supervision ? hey ? What about that ???
Old May 20th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Swift Tribe

while i will say this, i dont ever leave my dog outside, in the house or otherwise out of his kennel when i am not there to supervise, in my neighborhood that would be highly unusual. we are fairly tight knit and even if we dont like each other we still perform our neighborly duties. if Mister were less of a doofus, we had a larger dog proof yard, i may soem day leave him out when we leave. as it stands, if we had family issues that left me away from the house for hours on end i might anyway.

i dont mean to be antagonistic but to each his own. while it brought THIS dog harm, no one here knows the whole story or even part of it really.

Quote:
Oh and what about people who complain about their dogs getting stolen , or dogs getting poisoned , or got injured because the dog was outside all freaking day without supervision ? hey ? What about that ???
what abotu the kids that broke into that house and microwaved the cat?

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Old May 20th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Senior Contributor

I just can't get over how sick and violent our society is getting. It's like nobody wants to be bothered and the only way to deal with a problem is the easy way out.

Old May 20th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Swift Tribe

i think folks just dont have any sort of understanding of consequences. they dont have a respect for life, people just dont think. there was apoint in our history where your life depended on other people and their good will, where community peace was a big thing. its just not so much anymore. parents are too busy.... its so many things that accumulate, turning into horrible acts. :sad:

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Old May 20th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree. I just finished talking to a woman who is a manager at a farmers market, and we had a whole conversation about the "self-entitlement" issues in our society. It's pretty sad.

Old May 20th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Swift Tribe

*shakes head* i dont see an end to it either. how to you fix that??

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Old May 20th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Senior Contributor

My friend, you start over. And I don't see THAT happening.

Old May 20th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Swift Tribe

heh we are pretty strong Ron Paul supporters. *sigh*

-ash

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09