Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Pets that have passed away - Rainbow bridge

Old April 11th, 2011, 10:32 AM

Need Advice - Our dog's ashes have been lost

I need some advice.

Between our vet and the cremation place our dog has gone missing.

We received an urn, the paw-print impression that we asked for but the urn was delivered to us empty.

We called the vet and the vet explained that it was an error in the information provided and yada yada... The details don't really matter to me.

We paid for a private cremation and paid for the ashes to be returned.

The cremation place says they were buried with other ashes from other dogs and cats because they did not have the correct information.

Has anyone experienced this?
What would you do?
We were having a hard time getting over the death of our dog but this adds a whole new dimension of feelings - hurt, anger, etc.

Had I known this was to be the result I would have buried her myself in our backyard or near the lake where she loved to swim. Not lost in a pile of other animals remains.

I'm devastated by this.
Old April 11th, 2011, 10:53 AM
Doggie Wench

I am so sorry for the loss of your girl .

Although it doesn't rectify the situation at all, has the company refunded the costs ? I think it's the very least they can do.
Old April 11th, 2011, 11:51 AM
Senior Contributor

Firstly, I am so sorry for your loss.
I have heard of this happening before and all I know is that the money was refunded..only seemed fair really.

Though not much of a consolation, however a thought...
My sister erected a beautiful lilac tree in memory of her beloved dog. The tree obviously is named after him. Every year he blooms so beautifully and they gather the flowers and place it on their table.

There are other ways of course, but I thought this one in particular was beautiful.
Old April 11th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Senior Contributor
Space Invaders Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion

I am so sorry for your loss

Take heed of what Ben Max said about the tree. Also, remember your dog will be forever in your heart.

Owned by

Bree 12 year old GSD
Keesha 8 year old GSD
Cyrus 7 year old GSD

RIP: All my angels.
Old April 11th, 2011, 04:19 PM
Senior Contributor

I am so sorry about this - how sad....I like the ideas the others gave about the tree or find something else that will be suitable and make your memorial spot. Again, I am so sorry.

Diane
Old April 11th, 2011, 04:27 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

How awful, DogBuddy I can't even imagine how you feel...

Remember, though, that she'll be with you always in your heart, regardless of where her remains are. There's a bond that's forged by love that is still there and always will be.

I like that idea of planting a tree or a garden or putting up some other type of memorial that feels right to you, too...

I wish you heart's ease and peace of mind.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 9th, 2011, 05:22 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm so sorry for your loss DogBuddy. How very distressing this whole situation must be to you. I can't for the life of me imagine why they would have sent you an empty urn after they had lost the ashes. How cruel. Do you still have his collar? I would frame the collar with his pawprint and mount it somewhere as a special reminder. Hopefully in time your wonderful memories of your beloved pet will help you to find some level of peace. Remember that no matter where his ashes are, his spirit is at the bridge, and he will wait to be reunited with you, knowing that you loved him as no other during his too short time here on Earth. Please find peace within your heart. You boy would want that for you.
Old February 22nd, 2012, 12:37 AM

I can relate. My little dog and faithful companion of over 15 years died 3 weeks ago. Tonight I discovered his urn is competely empty. I was just starting to get over his death and now I have lost him forever. I paid for cremation, the urn and his return. I am devastated, again. This is so hard.
Old February 22nd, 2012, 10:37 AM

Hey Justlost. I'm so sorry to hear about your situation. Our vet returned the money spent on the cremation.

It didn't solve the problem but legally it was the least the vet could do from a business perspective only.

We still miss our dog. Whether she was cremated or anything else we will miss her for a long long time because she was smarter than our other dogs. She could unzip zippers, find things the others couldn't , dive and retrieve sunken items at the lake and she remembered people's names. We joked for years that if our dogs were children our oldest would have been a plumber, our youngest would go to beauty school and our middle dog (the one that died) would have had a scholarship to an ivy league school.

What I've learned through this is the pain of losing the dog is some of the deepest grief I've ever experienced in my life. That little critter knitted herself into our souls and I hope it's forever because i never want to forget how amazing she was. Dogs like kids are each so individual and come with unique personalities.

I'm sorry for your loss. Not having my dog's ashes has been hard but not having my dog is significantly harder. For me, she left a 13.5 year mark in my life that will be cherished forever. I'll bet your pet has done the same for you. Hold onto photos, videos and any other memories of your pet. The grief will subside in time and unfortunately you will have to suffer through this challenging period of time.

It's taken us 1 year. My dog died on my birthday last year. I cry while I type this but the tears are more about love than loss. We've also started to look at new rescue dogs and have started the hunt for a new dog that we will love like crazy again. We have two other dogs that will have to welcome the new dog into the pack and sort themselves out as they've had to do before.

I wish you well and I know how deep the feelings of loss can be. My only words of encouragement are that you will get through this.
Old February 22nd, 2012, 11:05 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

My heart aches for you, Justlost.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 22nd, 2012, 12:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Justlost so sorry you are going through this. It is obviously very difficult. But as you can see from DogBuddy, there is peace down the road. How odd that you both went through the same issue with the cremation. I know when I had my dear Shadow pts I would have been equally devastated if her ashes had been lost. But our memories of her are ours forever. Time will heal.
Old June 7th, 2012, 12:45 PM

I'm so sorry you're going through this. I can relate. We just moved cross country, and discovered that our movers took the box with our dog's ashes in it (it was set aside to move with us) and they lost it in transit. It's like losing our beloved Sammy all over again. I can completely understand the devastation, because I'm feeling it too.