Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Recipes for pets

Old March 28th, 2009, 11:36 AM

Question where can I buy this-for home cooked dogs diet

I am picking up my puppy in four weeks and after all of my research into the dog food industry & their ingredients from rendering plants I've decided to feed my dog healthy home cooked meals. A wonderful resource is Dr. Pitcairn's book. I would like to make his advised Healthy Powder but I don't know where to purchase the ingredients here in Canada. I live in Northern Ontario & we have no health food stores, so I would have to order from an online source. I would appreciate any help. These are the ingredients that I need: nutritional yeast, lecithin granules, kelp powder, bone meal. We only have 1 small grocery store in the town that I live & they don't carry any of these items.
with thanks,
Old March 28th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Senior Contributor

I just came across this place the other day, when looking for organic food online
http://www.eatit.ca/default.asp
might be able to get that stuff there.

hee, hee I live in Northern Ontario too... just one grocery here too, so i'm always looking for good online resources too.
and, i've made healthy powder before, it took a while to get all the ingredients but I did manage, next time I could make double and send you some

and congrats on the new addition
and love for my "lost ones" - Misery, Clover & the girls (chickens)
Old March 28th, 2009, 11:45 AM

Thank you, I'll check out the site. Is it expensive to make?
Old March 28th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by msKathleen View Post
Thank you, I'll check out the site. Is it expensive to make?
Not too bad really... way cheaper than the premade mixes. it seems like a lot in the beginning cause some of the ingredients you have to buy a whole bottle and then only use a little bit each time, the ingredients last a long time but ya gotta fork out the bucks in the beginning to buy it
Old March 28th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Senior Contributor

i've got some other resources too, i'll get a list together for you
Old March 28th, 2009, 11:48 AM

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it. Any direction that you send me will be truly welcomed. Have you read or know of Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health For Dogs & Cats & is it worth the purchase?
Old March 28th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Senior Contributor

I don't have the book, someone just gave me a copy of the healthy power recipe, they got it from their holistic vet. She swears by healthy power.. adds it to their dogs kibble if she can't homecook for them.

and... welcome to pets!!! please be sure to introduce yourself in the "introduce yourself" thread

have a bit of patience while I find the info, it's been a bit since i've ordered anything
Old March 28th, 2009, 11:53 AM

Thank you. Will do.
Old March 29th, 2009, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msKathleen View Post
Thank you so much! I really appreciate it. Any direction that you send me will be truly welcomed. Have you read or know of Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health For Dogs & Cats & is it worth the purchase?

Dr. Pitcairns book is very good if you are considering following a homecooked diet. I would suggest you have a good resource guide like this to make sure your recipes are balanced. You never know about ones you read on the internet.
Come Visit Us! http://myminizoo.wordpress.com
Old April 9th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Senior Contributor

This site has a lot of supplements you can look into for adding to raw and home cooked foods.

http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/default.aspx
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/