Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old October 12th, 2004, 08:32 PM

shock collars

has anyone used these for training? do they work? and isn't it kinda mean?
Old October 12th, 2004, 08:39 PM
Senior Contributor

We are thinking of getting our dog one for when he is outside. I have heard that they do work, and only give a small shock. I have heard of stories of it only taking a few days for the dog to stop barking, and from then on, just leaving the collar on as a reminder. They way I see it, it is far better, and more humane, than bringing them to the vet to have their voice box removed, and totally take away the right to speak.
If it makes you feel any better, my husband said that he would wear one just to prove that it is just a small shock. It is no worse than invisible fencing or an electric fence. Dogs learn fast.
Old October 12th, 2004, 09:06 PM
banned user

We have a Pet Safe fence it we love it. Invisible fencing is a great thing IF you use it right and train the dogs as you are told when you buy the fence. You are told how long per day to train, how many days and what to watch for if you have a timid dog. It is safe for a dog over 8 pounds and does not harm the pet. I tried it and so did my husband and my sister's little girl we all agree it was fine. Remember after a dog is trained they will never get the shock. Blaze was 5 months when we trained him now 8 months and I would honestly say he has had maybe 4 shocks in 3 months. Jordie was great at learning fast too, he was scared of the flags so he worked very fast with him. The collar beeps long before shocking and they learn to back off when it beeps. I would never do anything to my pets that would harm them. I talked to their Vet in detail before buying one and also remember other animals can come in yard so never put the pets out and leave them without checking often. My road is not busy, I live on a old dirt road and have a large back yard that is where my fence is. We did over 800 feet they love it we do too.
Old October 12th, 2004, 09:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Shock collars can be a valuable training aid for dogs who chase livestock or do other things hazardous to themselves or to other animals.

Never attempt to use one on your dog without guidance by a trainer experienced in their use, and as an aid only to regular obedience training, not as a replacement.

Improper use of a shock collar can have unpleasant consequences.
Old October 12th, 2004, 09:28 PM
Senior Contributor

I've never personally known anyone that used the shock collar. I read somewhere that some dogs have gotten sores on their neck from them, but I've never seen that first hand so don't really know. I think your hubby trying it out on himself is a terrific idea. Then you'll know exactly what it does! Sorry for the eek's - I have a vivid memory of my older brother shocking me with an old Model T Ford magneto. It jarred my whole body! I'm not too brave with electricity.
Old October 13th, 2004, 05:27 PM
Proud dog mommy!

My friend has one for her beagle. They have only used it a few times. Now all they have to say is I'm getting the bad collar and she goes off and stops barking. She really hated it.
Old October 13th, 2004, 05:52 PM
Senior Contributor

My husband can be weird at times, either that or it is the whole male thing, all our male friends are the same way.
Old October 13th, 2004, 06:03 PM
Xtream Dogs

I tried the shock collar on myself b-4 using on my dogs......I had 2 rotti puppies that would not stop digging in my garden, I tried the hose, you know squirt them when they got into the garden, well my phone rang and when I got back outside the hose was in about 100 peices. I rented 2 shock collars I tried it on myself first........what it felt like was a tightning on the mucles....like a contraction I felt comfortable about using it on my dogs. I only had to use it about 3 times on my female, and 4-5 on my male. I did find that when winter came the dogs were back in the garden though, don't know if it was the change in ground cover or what, but the next summer niether dog would go near the garden.
Old October 13th, 2004, 06:09 PM
Senior Contributor

I have used one and I also thought they were cruel. I still would not use it on just any dog, it was and still would be. If nothing else works then try it but you definitely need to work with someone who knows how to work with it. I also used it on a very large dog 185 pounds of dog. I am not sure about using it on smaller breeds this is where a trainer would be valuable. I used it for about 1 week and then after the barking stopped I took the batteries out and fooled him, I still put it on him everyday and he was none the wiser. But I stress again this is not my first choice for a training method it was getting to a last resort before he got us evicted. I option for barking problems the citronella collar but he caught on to that one to quickly and I had success for a short period of time but not long enough. So think long and hard and speak to a trainer or behaviourist before buying one you may have other options
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old October 13th, 2004, 07:30 PM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasslass
I've never personally known anyone that used the shock collar. I read somewhere that some dogs have gotten sores on their neck from them, but I've never seen that first hand so don't really know. I think your hubby trying it out on himself is a terrific idea. Then you'll know exactly what it does! Sorry for the eek's - I have a vivid memory of my older brother shocking me with an old Model T Ford magneto. It jarred my whole body! I'm not too brave with electricity.

Just want to answer about the sores on the neck, I was worried about that too The collar comes with two sizes of prongs, short hair and long hair dog. You must use the right ones on your dog. Keep the prong clean from dirt or grass anything can cause a reaction on the skin. I clean my collars daily when putting them on the boys. As far as the shock, have you ever walked by a TV and got a fast shock? That is what the collars give after a long beeping from 2 to 10 feet of beeping before a shock. You adjust it on each fence. Really they do not hurt them just scares them back which is ok and to say again they learn the beep and they don't keep going, my boys have not had a shock in weeks.
Old October 13th, 2004, 08:04 PM
Senior Contributor

I have used a shock collar for teaching a large male rottweiler not to chase the family cat. If you have professional guidance, and I don't mean by someone who thinks that the object of the training is to have the dog urinate himself out of pain and fear because he has no idea of what he is being asked to do, then it can be an effective tool.

Having said that, I don't like electric no-bark collars or electronic fences.

Two years ago, my mom's poodle was treated for the pair of holes in his neck from his bark collar.

Electronic fences are a whole other story in my opinion. I am sure that a lot of people have very positive experiences with them or else they wouldn't be selling. My problem is two-fold.

First, it does not keep anyone or anything out of your yard. Doesn't stop stray dogs from coming in and attacking your dog. Doesn't stop kids from teasing your dog. Doesn't stop anyone from stealing your dog.

Second, it is completely worthless if you have a dog with a high prey drive. That little zap sure doesn't stop a beagle after a bunny. It might stop said beagle from coming home though.

Anyway, that is my opinion.
Old October 13th, 2004, 11:02 PM

We used a shock collar on one of our dobes once. He howled non stop and drove everyone crazy, nothing else would work. Of course we got the short haired collar and never had a problem with sores on his neck. We used it for about a week and then took it off and just hung it on a nail in the room he stayed in and having it just hanging there was enough to stop him. I would't use the shock collar for long term, if it doesn't stop the barking in about a month you better look for another alternative, I think long term use could cause sores. My father did use the collar on himself and actully convinced me to do it too and it didn't hurt me that much at all, almost like a static shock just a little worse not much, and it was on my neck too. Pretty mild being that i was about 10 when i did that, I think the idea of it scared me more than the actual shock.
Old October 14th, 2004, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtream Dogs
I tried the shock collar on myself b-4 using on my dogs......I had 2 rotti puppies that would not stop digging in my garden, I tried the hose, you know squirt them when they got into the garden, well my phone rang and when I got back outside the hose was in about 100 peices.
XSTream, next time I have a bad day at work, I will think of this story and laugh.
A dog is an endearing confidant who always listens and gives the best advise - which is to give no advise at all. A dog is one of the few constants a person can count on in an unpredictable, ever-changing world. Debanneball
Old October 14th, 2004, 05:45 PM
Senior Contributor

there are much kinder method and collars such as the citronella collar (i odnt think it is kind but better than electric).

and dont put it on your arm to test it, put it around your own neck and do it, be realistic and wear it how your animal will, see how it feels, and perhaps you could get someone to shock you when you dont expect it, then you will really know what it is like to be physically controlled through pain and discomfort. there are a million methods proven to work in training and i think such devices are unnecessary and cruel. if you put it on your neck and do it, and you think it is nice and not cruel in anyway then go ahead and use it.
Old October 14th, 2004, 06:08 PM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by melanie
there are much kinder method and collars such as the citronella collar (i odnt think it is kind but better than electric).

and dont put it on your arm to test it, put it around your own neck and do it, be realistic and wear it how your animal will, see how it feels, and perhaps you could get someone to shock you when you dont expect it, then you will really know what it is like to be physically controlled through pain and discomfort. there are a million methods proven to work in training and i think such devices are unnecessary and cruel. if you put it on your neck and do it, and you think it is nice and not cruel in anyway then go ahead and use it.

I understand how people feel about electronic fences. I do know I felt the same way and that is why it really thought long and hard about having one.
As for the dog having a shock and not expecting it there is a beeping for up to 10 feet, the dog is trained to the beeping and will never get a shock there is no pain.

As for not keeping kids and other animals out, that is very true. I don't use my fence as a babysitter, my dogs always have eyes on them and are safe. Again some dogs would run through them but mine will not. Five months of having it in use and not once did the boys try to cross. It is all in the training and remember I have a 4 yr shih tzu and 8 month Golden. Now that is only my opinion and experence.
Old October 15th, 2004, 11:10 AM
Flying Dog Training

Exclamation citronella instead of sock

YES SHOCK COLLARS ARE INHUMANE!!!

You should work with a trainer to solve the barking problem, do not simply try to mask the symptom of a behaviour problem by causing your dog pain. Contact a local trainer and set up a behaviour consultation - the trainer will help you get to the root of the problem and help you implement a training program to solve it.

If you do decide to stick with the 'quick fix' collar please look into a CITRONELLA BARK COLLAR - instead of a shock collar: when the dog barks he gets sprayed with cironella. Its annoying enough to stop the barking but does not cause your dog any pain! This type of collar has worked on many dogs!

Tara
Old October 18th, 2004, 04:33 PM
Senior Contributor

they are illeagle in austraila, yippee

i was doing a little checking and just found out it is illeagle to import, sell, own or use a electric dog collar in australia under the prevention of cruelty to animals act of 1979. and that is great news,

so my government says that owning or using one is inhumane, cruel and against the law. and thank god for that, at lest they have and are demonstrating some common sense and empathy for once