Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 17th, 2006, 06:51 AM

Question Dog licking her anal area and dragging her bum

Hi everyone
I am new here and have a question. I have a female minature english bulldog who is now 9 months old. She has always had this problem of trying to lick her tail area, she has a hard time as her fat body doesn't allow her to comfortably reach it. Just the last few days she has become quite vocal, moaning here and there then licking her self in the genetial area as well as her bum area. She would be sitting or laying there then all of a sudden she jumps up (like somethings biting her) and starts to lick down there. this morning i also noticed her dragging her bum on the carpet. The first thing i thought of was worms, but she has been doing the licking for the longest time just now it seems to be that itchy reason behind it. Any ideas as to what this may be?
Old April 17th, 2006, 07:31 AM
Senior Contributor

dog

A vet visit to check out her anal glands seems in order as you can see how uncomfortable and distressed she's been and the responsible thing to do as a good owner.
Old April 17th, 2006, 08:55 AM
PeachesnSimon'sMamma

Yep, agreed with t.pettet, it's time for a vet visit regarding her anal sacs and infection. Please let us know how she makes out at the vets and good luck

~Those who KNOW better are responsible to TEACH better~

Jenn, Simon and Peaches
12/14/03
Old April 17th, 2006, 09:30 AM

Thank you for your answer, I will call right now the vet. She has done this licking since we got her, so i just assumed it was reg routine for her. She has been to the vet for reg check ups and everything was always fine.
Old April 17th, 2006, 11:00 AM
PeachesnSimon'sMamma

Anal sac issues you'll need to call special attention to, some dogs release theirs at the vets so the vet doesn't think anything about it. You'll want to make sure they're expressing properly and that she doesn't have an infection good luck, let us know how you make out

Jenn, Simon and Peaches
12/14/03
Old April 17th, 2006, 02:16 PM

I am not familar with this subject. I hope i know the right things to ask him
What do you mean by release theirs at the vets?
Old April 17th, 2006, 03:09 PM

I'm not sure, but I think maybe she's referring to how some dogs release the contents of the anal glands on their own because of stress... But I'm not sure. It's really rare anyway. You can ask the vet to show you how to do it to save a few bucks, but most people prefer not to do it themselves... (it's particularly nasty...)
Old April 17th, 2006, 04:14 PM

Well after reading in here I did some research on the web to find out what it was. I got some good info and even diagrams to show me where they were and how to do it yourself or let the vet do it. Miss Daisy and I are now back from the vet and she is feeling a bit better. It was that her anal sacs, the right one wasn't bad but the left one was infected. OMG what an awful smell from those especially when they are infected. She got some injection and some pills to take and she is now back home. I'm so glad that i found this message board to come and ask for advice. Being a first time dog owner i would have never known this. Thank you to all who replied it was a great help to me and Miss Daisy.
Old April 17th, 2006, 06:22 PM

Hi Magic, nice to see another person from Peterborough here! Glad you found your answer, this board is a great resource!
Old April 17th, 2006, 06:23 PM
PeachesnSimon'sMamma

Prin you were right on with what I meant to say - and Simon does it EVERY time we're at the vets (he's not fond of the trip in general). Magic I'm really happy to hear that Miss Daisy is home and has the proper meds to help her feel better soon. Hope to see some pics of your lil girl soon too

Jenn, Simon and Peaches
12/14/03
Old April 18th, 2006, 06:20 AM

I tried to put a pic of her up here but not sure how to do it? nm I think i may have found the answer lol

Phoenix what part of peterborough are you from? I am in East City. I may even know you lol

This is Miss Daisy when we got her at 9 weeks, she came from West Palm Beach Florida
Attached Images

Old April 18th, 2006, 06:29 AM

This is Daisy and Shadow
Attached Images

Old April 18th, 2006, 06:46 AM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

your fur babies are gorgeous!!!!! glad miss daisy is feeling better
Old April 18th, 2006, 07:29 AM

Awwww, so cute. I don't recognize them! I live in the west end. Here's a pic of my guys, see if you've seen them around!
Attached Images

Old April 18th, 2006, 09:31 AM

OMG your little puppy is the sweetest thing. Can't say that I've seen them (lord knows i would have stopped to pet them for sure) I doubt we have crossed paths seeing we are at opposite ends of the city.

Last edited by Magic; April 18th, 2006 at 04:45 PM.
Old April 19th, 2006, 04:11 PM
Fish Guru - Formerly sneakypete79

Hi there,
I know everyone has obviously addressed the Anal
gland issue, however, please keep in mind this
exact behaviour is also common when dogs have worms.
It would be a good idea to deworm your pup too,
just to make sure.
Usually, most dogs anal glands express themselves when
they poop. I would worry first about worms, then about the anal gland.
In my experience, most of the dogs I have know who drag
their rumps on the carpet have worms.
Only 1 dog I have ever know did that because of anal gland blockages.
Old April 20th, 2006, 07:26 PM

This is sort of unrelated to your issue, but I'm just wondering where you got your mini bulldog and if you could tell me about the breed (or even just your little Daisy). I'm debating what type of bulldog to get....

Thanks!
Old April 21st, 2006, 05:14 PM

Well Daisy we purchased from a breeder website. She came from West Palm beach Florida. We had only seen a pic of her at 4 weeks then put a deposit down on her. The owners were very good, sent us pictures 2 weeks later 4 diff shots...both sides and front and back of her. We were given her flight details the day before she was flown out to Toronto where we picked her up. All vet papers came with her and any other info we needed to know. We were sent pictures of her mom and dad. They had also registered her in American bulldog club as bulldogs are not recognized in the canadian kennels yet.

She is very laid back, very very cheery. wakes up everyday in a good mood. She is very friendly and socialable with everyone. We have a male min bulldog and he just loves her. There is quite the diff in the two dogs, Shadow is very hyper, very dominate, very protective and not always in a good mood,he is quite socialable as well. He was this way even before we bought Daisy. Even the fur is different, Daisy is very soft to touch where Shadows is more bristle.
Daisy came with a 1 yr health guarantee, shadow came with none. Shadow was registered in the American Canine association.
The miniature bulldog has less health issues than the original bulldogs ex: respiratory probs stuff like that.

Shadow we purchased as well from a breeder online in minnesota, he was 6 months old when we bought him. If i was going to buy another one i would definately purchase my pup from where I bought Daisy due to the character difference in the two. Daisy is what the bulldog character is suppose to be.

Here is the link to where we bought Daisy, he has other links there on his sites for min bulldogs. If you would like to know anymore just let me know. One of those links has a write up about the diff in the health problems compared to the original bulldogs, but all in all the min bulldog they say is the bulldog of choice.

http://www.minibulldogs.com/about_mini_blldogs.html

Last edited by Magic; April 21st, 2006 at 05:17 PM.
Old April 22nd, 2006, 07:55 AM

anal glands

Hello
I am sorry for posting here when this is not a reply to the original poster, but I have a question and I know someone had mentioned that dogs will express their anal glands when stressed. My question is has any one heard of a dog expressing their anal glands when relaxed as well? My dog will express when stressed but he also expresses when sleeping on my lap or bed. I have taken him to the vet a couple of times and they check his anal glands and they are completely empty, they don't know why he is doing this,they have no idea what to recommend. I should be glad he is expressing on his own but it is quite smelly and quite a nuisance when he does it on my lap. Does any one have any suggestions for me?
Old April 22nd, 2006, 08:13 AM
Coopers mom

LUV may be he has stressfull dreams while sleeping in your lap?