Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old November 12th, 2011, 01:31 PM

Help!!!! Too much info!!!!!

I am really excited about joining and getting to know everyone. I have 3 dogs...ranging from 16 yrs to 5 months. A Chow/Huskie cross, a Rottie/Blue Healer cross, and a Goldendoodle.
I have fed our 16 yr old Pedigree dog food and since I've been doing research I now realize that what I thought was good food is NOT.
So now I have so many things to consider and my head seems to be spinning with all the information.
I have just bought Acana dog food, the adult the Prairie blend and the Puppy Junior blend.
My question is about the protien and carb ratios.....what should I be looking for? And am I doing the right thing in picking Acana???
If I could get any and all input it would be great! Thank you so much.
Old November 12th, 2011, 03:25 PM
Skylar's Farm

Yes, the dog food decisions can make a person kind of crazy...especially when each dog may end up needing something different.
But a good start is to ditch the Pedigree and work from there.
Hopefully somebody with more dog food experience will come along and help guide you.
Old November 12th, 2011, 05:25 PM
Senior Contributor

What about the Pedigree did not work for your dog? Was he unable to maintain a proper weight? Have loose stool or constipation? Poor coat? No energy? Smell bad? Itch? If none of those apply then, if it was me, I'd try to keep the protein, carb, fat and k/cal per cup about the same in whatever new food you try.

I looked up two Pedigree foods, don't know which one you use, but, while I am happy with corn in my dog's diet, I don't like to see it at the top of the ingredient list as it was in the two Pedigree. Wow, too long a sentence.

I now rotate foods. I am happy with my chicken and corn main food but like to switch around a bit and when I researched my goal was to keep the levels mentionned above as close as I could, since what I had worked. Hope that helps a bit?
Old November 15th, 2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
What about the Pedigree did not work for your dog? Was he unable to maintain a proper weight? Have loose stool or constipation? Poor coat? No energy? Smell bad? Itch? If none of those apply then, if it was me, I'd try to keep the protein, carb, fat and k/cal per cup about the same in whatever new food you try.

I looked up two Pedigree foods, don't know which one you use, but, while I am happy with corn in my dog's diet, I don't like to see it at the top of the ingredient list as it was in the two Pedigree. Wow, too long a sentence.

I now rotate foods. I am happy with my chicken and corn main food but like to switch around a bit and when I researched my goal was to keep the levels mentionned above as close as I could, since what I had worked. Hope that helps a bit?
I have 3 Italian Greyhounds between 4 and 8 years old. In my experience corn is the worst ingredient in any kibble and has been proven to cause severe allergies and seizures. When looking for a good healthy kibble the first 4 ingredients on the label are the ingredients in the most measure. Corn is most always listed in the first 4. I have fed my guys a kibble known as Actrium Holistic and add a homemade raw burger combo that can be frozen and then thawed. I also add fruit/vegie mixture that I prepare and freeze. My boys have not had any problems with their stools (have been consistant for the last 3 years) and can't remember when their stomachs have been upset. My kibble has 400kcal/cup which is more than enough for a greyhound.

Just my 2 bits but I would suggest you keep away from the corn.

Linda & her boys in Alberta
Old November 15th, 2011, 10:48 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

If corn is being used as a carb I wouldn't use it as the make or break it ingredient myself. However I do have a dog here with a pretty bad intolerance( not allergy) to it so its just far easier to not have it in any of the foods.
Thing is, most dogfoods use corn more as a protien source which keeps production costs of their food lower. This is the foods i would definately avoid.

Another thing people need to consider is the protien levels in some of the "high quality" kibbles and the damage high protien can do over time. Its far more than just avoiding ingredients, its finding what works for you and what you are comfortable feeding after knowing as much about it as possible.

Welcome to the board, look forward to seeing pictures
Old November 16th, 2011, 08:31 AM
Senior Contributor

Corn is not good for some dogs, fine for mine. OP, if your dogs are currently doing fine on a food with corn then there is no need to exclude it, other than, as mentionned, it's not great as the first ingredient. In my readings chicken is the leading allergen in food, followed by wheat.

I would like to point out, be aware that terms such as "holistic" on dog food have no legal meaning. When you purchase on the basis of that word you are going solely on your faith in the company using it. It might be meaningful, it might not. It's a marketing ploy and as such is easily used by any company since it can mean whatever they say it does. And it may not mean what they say it does.

You are right, it is mind boggling.